Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Custom Wiring for 5G fog Lights

As much of the Lude knowledge we have in one handy place
Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Custom Wiring for 5G fog Lights

Post by Merlin » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 am

This write up assumes that you are capable of finding power souces in the drivers footwell with a test lamp or multi meter. Photos of locations of power sources in the drivers footwell are a guide only and should not be taken as literal as its really hard to get a decent picture in a crampt footwell. All other photos may be followed directly.

Part 1 – External wiring

This install allows the use of the fog lights with out the need for the main or side lights to be on. The switch takes the power from the ignition so the lights cant stay on and run down your battery when you turn the car off.

You will need:
The JDM fog lights
Wire for power and earth leads
A selection of male and female spade connectors and assorted connectors from a crimping kit
4 X 5mm bolts
4 X locking nuts or 8 X normal nuts
8 X washers
A wire coat hanger
A selection of flat & Phillips head screwdrivers
Wire crimp toolkit
10mm spanner or socket

To start this is the basic wiring diagram for what will be done, sorry its a bit guff but is shows what needs to be conveyed, namely what the switch does.

In most of the online write-ups for JDM fog light install instructions it tells you to use an orange wire that runs from behind were the fogs are installed to inside the driver foot well (pic below). In theory you should be able to use this wire to power the headlights. However upon testing with a multimeter it appeared that the two ends of this wire were not connected, so I had to run my own power wire instead.

This image shows the location of the orange wire in the drivers foot well

Start by running a wire from the drivers foot well to the front of the car. The pic below show one of two grommets in the firewall that are suitable for threading through your power lead. This is located on the drivers side of the engine bay. The second grommet, and the one that is most useful, is located 12” below this one, underneath the engine bay fuse box. This one is better as it pops out in the lower portion of the drivers foot well. You may need to move some of the sound proofing in the foot well to get to it. Similarly you may need to unbolt the fuse box in the engine bay to gain access from the other side.

This image shows the location of the top grommet on the driver side of the engine bay

Run the wire down the engine bay so it comes out by the headlights or behind the drivers front indicator.

This image shows the main power lead running from the drivers foot well to the head lights

Remove the front indicators. The bolts are located to the side of the indicators and accessible through the grill as shown in the pic below.

This image indicates the location of the bolt to remove the indicator, and my scuffed bumper ;)

The indicator can be removed by sliding it forward

This image shows the removal of the indicator

Remove the indicator units by taking out the bulb holder, now remove the blanks covering where the fog lights are to be placed.

It is best to fit the passenger side fog light first. You need a power wire and an earth wire roughly the width of the car as shown in the pic below. Put the desired connectors on the end of the fog wires and the end of the power and earth wires you want to connect. Then wrap the ends of the power and earth wires together.

This image shows passenger fog light, earth cable, and power cable

This image shows passenger earth cable and power cable taped together

Find a wire coat hanger and straighten it out. When looking in the hole left by the passenger side indicator, you will see a black support bar running along below the radiator. There will be a noticeable hole in this support bar directly behind were the indicator sits. Ram the coat hanger down this hole through the support bar, the coat hanger will be just long enough so you can make it poke out the corresponding hole behind the drivers indicator.

This image shows the location of the hole in the support bar with the coat hanger inserted

This image shows the end of the coat hanger as seen from the corresponding hole on the driver side of the support bar

Attach the power and earth wires to the end of the coat hanger

this image shows the passenger fog light earth and power cables taped to the coat hanger

Pull the coat hanger through. Now you will have hidden wires ;)

This image shows both ends of the passenger fog light earth and power cables with the middle of these wires hidden by the support bar

Attach the power and earth wires to the fog light, and find somewhere for the slack (if you have any) to go.

Pictured is the passenger fog light wired to the power and earth cables

The fog lights fit in the allocated space as shown in the pic below, and attach to the bumper via two 5mm holes that you have to bolt. I didn’t have any locking nuts so I used two normal nuts to stop them from going slack.

This image shows how the fogs lights are positioned, notice the two 5mm holes in the top of the fog light bracket

Pictured are the 5mm bolts, washers, and twin nuts used to hold the fog light in place

Once secured the passenger fog light is completed.

On the drivers side take the earth cable for the passenger fog light plus a short piece of cable for the drivers fog earth and attach them to a bolt on the chassis. I used the place shown below. Attach both earth cables to this bolt.

Pictured are the two earth cables attached to the chassis via a nut and bolt. The red wire to the right of the picture is the power cable running to the passenger fog light

Find the main power cable that was run from the interior foot well and drag it to behind where the drivers fog light will be placed. Take the power cable going to the passerger fog light and attach it to the main power cable that you have run from the interior foot well. I used a joining clamp. The passenger fog light is now fully wired.

This image shows the power cable for the passenger fog light clamped to the main power cable from the drivers foot well

Connect the main power cable and the small earth cable to the drivers fog light. The drivers fog light is now fully wired.

Pictured is the completed wiring for the drivers fog light

Install the drivers fog light in the bumper, install both indicators and the external work is finished.

Pictured is the completed external work showing the installed fog lights

Part 2 – Internal wiring

You will need:
The fog light switch
Wire for power and earth leads
A selection of male and female spade connectors and assorted connectors from a crimping kit
A selection of flat & Phillips head screwdrivers
Wire crimp toolkit
10mm spanner or socket
A 4-pin relay
It is suggested you have a multimeter or test lamp to double check power wires

To start remove the drivers side sill protector, fuse panel cover, and the trim round the fuse panel. To remove the trim you need to pull up the door rubber as shown below.

removal of the sill protector

Image shows pulling up the door rubber

Removal of the fuse panel trim. Notice the white plastic stud that holds the trim in place, it will require a slight tug to remove the trim

A place needs to be found for the earth for the switch and relay, I used one of the bolt from the bonnet release handle as shown below

Removal of one of the bonnet release bolts

Attach earth cables and replace the bolt.

Remove the block that holds the rear fog light, sun roof, and cruise control. Use a taped flat head screw driver to prise the block forward. It is also possible to get your hand up behind the dash to aid removal of the clips.

Removal of the the rear fog light, sun roof, and cruise control block

Remove the cruise control switch and replace with the JDM fog light switch

Image shows the installation of the JDM switch in the block

This is possibly the most important picture of the install. It shows what wire does what for the JDM fog light switch.

From the top:
Black = Earth
Orange = Goes to relay
Red with black stripe #1 = Takes power from head lights
Red with black stripe #2 = Takes power from the ignition
Black = Earth

Image shows the JDM switch with wires

Take one of the earth wires and attach it to both of the black earth wires from the switch.
Image shows the joining of the black earth wires from the switch to the earth wire connected to the chassis

Next attach the Red with black stripe #1 wire (3rd wire from the top of the JDM fog switch) to the 2nd red wire down on the sunroof plug. In the below pic this is shown by the blue clamp that connect both wires. This enables the fog light sign on the fog light switch to illuminate when the side lights / dipped / full beams are on (so you can see where the button is in the dark ;)). Very Important – put a 15amp fuse in the connecting wire!.

This image shows the connection of Red with black stripe #1 (on the fog switch) to the 2nd red wire down on the sunroof plug

Now we need to find a power source from the ignition for the Red with black stripe #2 wire on the fog switch. I found a wire powered by the ignition coming from the fuse board (the green wire), as shown below. Sorry for the fuzzy pic, there isn’t a lot of room to take pics down there ;). Again Very Important – put a 15amp fuse in the connecting wire!.

Image showing the location of the power source for Red with black stripe #2 wire on the fog switch

Connect that feed to Red with black stripe #2 wire on the fog switch.

Next connect a wire to the orange wire from the switch and run it to the foot well, this wire will be connected to the relay, it carries the power to activate the relay.

Study the wiring diagram again and focus on the wiring for the relay:

To supply the relay with power I took a constant live from a cluster of wires directly below the steering column. I clamped my wire onto one of the red wires there, as shown below:

Picture shows the location of the wire that supplies a constant power source

On wire used to take a feed off the constant power wire (^^above), install a 15amp fuse and plug the other end onto the spade of the relay marked 30.

Find the end of the wire that you ran from the driver foot well to the fog lights and connect it to the spade connector on the relay marked 87.

Find the spare earth cable you installed before and connect it to the spade connector on the relay marked 85.

Finally find the orange wire on the fog switch and the wire that you connected to it, take that wire and plug it into the spade connector on the relay marked 86.

When placing the switch block back into the dash, re-attach the cruise control switch and hide it behind the dash. Make sure you leave the cruis control permenently on, I attached it behind the dash in a way that Ican get my hand in there just it case it switched off during the install ;)

This image shows the cruise control switch held behind the dash

Test the fog lights, they should now work :D

BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Kawa
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: kawa222

Post by Kawa » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks Merlin, have added a link in our wiki to this post 8-)

nitin_s1
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:09 pm

Excellent write-up.. :D

Return to “Guides / How to's / Tech Section”