Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

help with my paint spraying

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
firstlude
My Generation: 4G

help with my paint spraying

Post by firstlude » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 pm

having not done alot of paint spraying for a few years now since the days of celly and synthetic paints i seem to be struggling laying down these new 2k paints , i am trying to respray a bootlid and a spoiler i dont seem to be able to get a good fan of paint out the gun it just goes on streaky as , my first thinking was a problem with my 15 year old devilbiss gun so i brought a refurb kit stripped it rebuilt it, it was a little better but still rubbish , right time for a new gun not wishing to spend fortunes i brought a sealey gold professional one with a 2.0 tip for primer and a 1.4 for basecoat and lacquer , and as if by magic using the 2.0 tip the primer went on lovely but i still cant get the basecoat to spray nicely using the 1.4 tip i have even brought the basecoat pre thinned ready to go still no joy , only thing i havent tried is the 2.0 tip for the basecoat , but i have run out off paint now so am kinda after some help before i order anymore paint :x
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Slosh2222
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by Slosh2222 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm

What kind of paint wer you using mate ? Most base coat I use is mixed 2:1 with thinner (solvent based) the base coat should come out the 1.4 tip fine if the base coat is mixed to that ratio
I take it you have played around with the fan and pressure settings on the gun ?

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:48 pm

i have been using a 2k basecoat i was thinning myself then i tried a 2k basecoat which was already thinned , i have tried different settings on the gun i have kept the air pressure around 40 - 50 psi at the gun
success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm :D :D

Slosh2222
Supporter 2016

Post by Slosh2222 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Does it say the ratio it is mixed to on the tin ? And even with the 2.0 tip it should be fine I have always liked to have my base coat pretty thin and build it up so it lays down really flat
But as it sounds like you know what you are doing if the paint looks to thin just thin it some more as it will not do any harm and maybe turn the pressure down a touch :)

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 pm

First of all get pictures up of the fan spray pattern out of the gun.
Cheap guns never spray right. 1.4 is the max I would go on base. 1.2-1.3 on full coat repairs. 1-1.2 on smaller smart repairs.

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 pm

i dont think its a paint issue more of a gun or operator issue i just cant get my head around why i have the same problem be it with a cheap gun or a expensive one ,its not like i have never sprayed before just new to the 2k , will try and get a picture up of the fan spray pattern need to get this sorted as i have lots i wont to spray may even respray the whole lude ..

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:57 pm

i have got some more basecoat and a lacquer kit on order ,, which spray guns are others using also do i need to flat the basecoat down before i apply the lacquer seems to be mixed views on this from what i have read

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Don't ever touch the base coat before the lacquer. ;)

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Yep don't ever touch basecoat before lacquer. Ever.....

firstlude

Post by firstlude » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:59 pm

ok thank you see this is what i find when doing searches you can end up with a lot of bad advice hence why i have asked the knowledge that is fellow luders :D

Return to “General Chat”