Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

DC2 TEG Fetching silly money

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by vanzep » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm

ive always liked the look of the ukdm dc2 teg and its one honda ive never driven - with prices like that it looks like i never will :cry:
it wasnt too long ago (5-6 years ago) that you could have got an NSX for around £15-£20k - now look at the prices :shock:

still hoping the Prelude will get the recognition it deserves :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Free Ranj Egg
My Generation: 5G

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:57 pm

Good point Vanzep the NSX's command some serious money now.

I think the lude will always be in the shadows because it wasn't promoted as a hard core racer or pipped against a supercar.

By the sounds of it a DC2 seems like a good investment to make then.
I came before the chicken.. The argument is now settled!!

H22A8 197 motor with 190k on the clock
Tanabe lowering springs.
Skunk 2 megapower exhaust with a decat
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel
Type S Door inserts in Red

norks27
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by norks27 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 pm

Free Ranj Egg wrote:I think the lude will always be in the shadows because it wasn't promoted as a hard core racer or pipped against a supercar.
Some mutter that the lack of an R-Type let the model down?

One of the writers that contribute to Drive Tribe, (New Age Icons tribe), replied to a comment I made praising the Lude, that he respected the car, new little about it, but suggested that the lack of R-Type left it just short. In that it failed to make the same impact as the Civic R, and was never a big seller. In terms of sales the 3G Prelude was the peak, after that sales declined steadily, (I suspect the market for that type of car was declining anyway, given other marques dumped equivalent models).

I think interest in the Prelude is getting there, and arguably, (for the 5th Gens), the Type S will help hold up the market for the Lude, it's rarity makes it a bit of Prelude glamour? If I where looking for a clean Lude now, low mileage, FSH, bodywork sorted, etc, I'd happily part with 4-5k, for a well looked after car. Am I mad???

Seen some higher prices for the very rare 4G, the value of a good 4G must be climbing steadily??

As for the original question, I'm thinking high, but in this market someone will pay that price. They'll buy it, wrap it in clingfilm, store it for 10 years and then get silly money at auction.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:46 am

Oh, the prices will go up eventually.

In the normal run of things, lesser or once-unfashionable models start to climb once the glamour boys are priced out of reach. If that's true for Preludes, the 4G will end up with punters who can't afford Tegs.

5Gs are harder to predict, but as a late 90s fwd touring car, the car's an oddity for Jap scene fans. I'm guessing really good H22s with 4WS will start to rise first. Let's keep them a secret for now, eh?

Unless they're really exotic or hyped, car prices go through different phases.
1. They reach the lowest point. (Where we were a year ago?)
2. They rise a bit as more people discover that they make good daily drivers that are a bit different. (The boys who loved CTRs are getting a bit older now and remember when a Prelude showed them they weren't actually kings of the road)
3. Journalists start mentioning them. (DC2s and ATRs are beginning to see this now.)
4. Really, really good examples cause a stir in an auction house. (Anglia here we come?)
5. TV shows feature collectors who are quite happy to have 'cooking' models alongside their 275GTBs.
6. No one drives them anymore.

I say we should buy rather than sell for phases 1 to 3. Keep through phase 4. And never let it get to phase 6. For me, the joy of the Prelude is in its usefulness.
International Pensioner of Mystery

simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by simonc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 am

Hi all, this Integra price thing has been bugging me, as I remember reading something about it not too long ago. Anyway, I dug out my back-issues of 'Octane' and found the article. I retyped the 'what to pay' part to show what they've written.

Retyped from ‘Octane’, September 2017 issue.

Honda Integra Type R

Headline: Pared for track use, an icon on the road – and getting rare.

Subhead: The Lowdown, What to pay

Cheap ones are no more. Higher-mileage and modified examples in need of cosmetic work start from £5000; £8000 should find a great sub-100,000-mile example. Full Honda dealer history is highly valued. Perfect UK cars are rare: budget £12,000 plus.

Consider importing from Japan. The exchange rate is less favourable than it was, but you can get a relatively fresh-feeling car into the UK for about £8000. The Integra was offered up to 2001 in Japan, and generally the later the car you buy, the better the spec you will get.

Looks like what he's asking ,(plus haggling factored in) , is not too far off the rates quoted in 'Octane'.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

Return to “General Chat”