Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Fuel leak update and vtec fun

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Free Ranj Egg
My Generation: 5G

Fuel leak update and vtec fun

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 am

Hello

So after a month of not driving the lude I finally got it back on Monday night. The lines weren't changed in the end and the mechanic only charged me £40 quid as opposed to the £120 that was quoted. I didn't go into detail with him on the phone and a mate picked the car up for my but the bottom line was - no smell of fuel and an £80 saving meant I was a happy boy!!

I had to get my mum from Heathrow yesterday so it was a good opportunity to test the car out. Firstly no more fuel smell, so that's a good sign. I tanked the car with 95 (normally use Tesco 99) but the lines were long and I was in a rush. Funnily enough the car seems more responsive on 95 than it doesnt on 99 which makes no sense to me.

I clear the rush hour traffic and put my foot down. Vtec kicked in, the pops and bangs were loud on the limiter and I was just having some fun. After all these year the car seems to still bring a smile to my face. I just don't get why Honda stopped making them.

My arches need doing (next job on the list) and I notice at high speeds the bumper from the drivers side was loose as the clip where it bolts in has rusted. £4 quid on some tape and services and she was good to go again.

Used 2/3 of a tank from Birmingham to Terminal 4 but I wasn't really at motorway speeds much. the love for the lude just came back and I doubt it will ever go. It makes me think sometimes are the Teg type R's much better than the lude???

A few things need doing to it and its touching almost 190k miles now but still seems strong.

Things that need fixing

1.) Arches to be done and rolled back and rush patches cleaned up with a touch of paint.
2.) Upper control arm and ball joint needs replacing
3.) Small oil leak form the dizzy rotor (probably just a gasket)
4.) Terra clean required - compression slightly high due to carbon build up.
5.) Allow when refurb or even a set of EP3 17 inches - not sure yet.
6.) Sound updgrage

Then I will look at going down the ATR single runner route and a Hondata? Not sure if all this work is going ot be done if its worth adding a set of cams. I don't want to open up the head to find other stuff needs doing.

The short of it is... until the lude become beyond economical use its staying.
I am heading to York tomorrow in the lude and then London the following week to see my Mrs so lots of motorway miles..

Enjoy your day luders!!

The Free Ranj Egg
I came before the chicken.. The argument is now settled!!

H22A8 197 motor with 190k on the clock
Tanabe lowering springs.
Skunk 2 megapower exhaust with a decat
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel
Type S Door inserts in Red

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:20 pm

sounds like your a happy boy then :)

DC2 Teg type R's are lighter from factory and are a little more race set up from factory too, but they cost 4/5x times as much to purchase usually so totally pointless IMO - although i do really like the DC2's and would own one, but the prices are silly.

DC5's are very very boring IMO - heavy, and just all round pretty dull unless it's some mad race spec one. ive driven a remapped one on the road and around the track all day and i was wishing i was in my lude.

Unless you drive a Diesel with some reasonable miles on the clock, then i think Terra clean will do you good. otherwise, you can clean most of the ports that choke up yourself like the egr. not sure if Terra clean gets the crud off valves in an engine or around the exhaust ports? someone else may know.

if you go ATR inlet mani route, get some ATR cams while your at it or even a whole ATR head. Plus the Hondata as you mention, and a p28/p30 or p72 ecu to socket it in. get a remap and your looking at an average 20/30bhp gain i think
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Cheers Drax

When Matt at Red R did the compression it was reading a little high on a 2 cylinders and it was his idea to get the terraclean done to remove the carbon build up. I didn't even know it existed before then lol.

The EGR valve, PCV valve etc will all get cleaned up at some point in the summer.

I have an A8 engine so I was under the impression I already had the ATR Cams, unless im wrong!!

The ATR head is a good option if I can get one at a decent price. How much to do they fetch just out of curiosity?

I want to get the car cleaned up alittle for the summer and then see you guys at some meets. Right now the car looks jobby lol.

Ranj

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

Drax

Post by Drax » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Free Ranj Egg wrote:Cheers Drax

When Matt at Red R did the compression it was reading a little high on a 2 cylinders and it was his idea to get the terraclean done to remove the carbon build up. I didn't even know it existed before then lol.

The EGR valve, PCV valve etc will all get cleaned up at some point in the summer.

I have an A8 engine so I was under the impression I already had the ATR Cams, unless im wrong!!

The ATR head is a good option if I can get one at a decent price. How much to do they fetch just out of curiosity?

I want to get the car cleaned up alittle for the summer and then see you guys at some meets. Right now the car looks jobby lol.

Ranj
ah of course you do, yes so you'll have the same high compression 11.1 pistons and cams as the a7 and type-s, excellent!! more bhp gains then 8-) prob push 240bhp then :twisted:

it will be cheaper to just get the atr inlet manifold and have it port matched to your a8 head then.

dont worry, both my ludes look jobby but im just happy to drive them :D
FOR PAUL

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:16 am

Yeah defo more gains lol... can a ATR manifold be fitted without a hondata ecu?

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:38 am

The DC5 type R is better all round for racing, but not worth the extra cost. My lude cost £1500, my friends DC5 he imported at 10times the cost, about 40kmiles and absolutely mint (not jealous at all!).

the day before the track day, my friend and I drove each others cars.

on the road:

DC5 too racey, seats to hard, exhaust too loud, gears short, geometry very unforgiving to road camber etc.
Prelude comfy - but everything softer (noise, steering, braking, seats, etc) - my lude is not in the best condition however.

on the track:

DC5 perfect - lighter, more power, much more grip, LSD good, gears good (had a new shifter mech), brakes amazing, stiffer, perfect track car. Seats really are a bonus.

Prelude - no where near as fast (200bhp vs 220), but then a 5g with aircon/sunroof/etc weighs a lot more. Easier to drive though since your not going as fast.

If i looked at the videos i recorded, id hate to count how much quicker it is, but at the end of the straight i've spent a second or 2 in 4th (so almost 95mph) , and he has been in 4th for considerably longer.

If you took a beat up DC5 , and a modded 4th or 5th gen , its probably a bit closer (but i couldn't imagine even a modded prelude feeling like the DC5 felt).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Drax

Post by Drax » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:54 am

Free Ranj Egg wrote:Yeah defo more gains lol... can a ATR manifold be fitted without a hondata ecu?
yes it can but you will loose some power before it is remapped apparently.
FOR PAUL

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:28 pm

Scott560 - Nice comparison mate - will check out the videos later.
Drax - Good shout... looks like I need to start saving some pennies.

But first the arches need to be sorted and the paint work needs touching up

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

Return to “General Chat”