Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Low Fuel Warning Light not working

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Max
My Generation: 5G

Post by Max » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Oh that oil pressure warning light :facepalm:

Max

Post by Max » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Well i don't see a problem with the low fuel warning bulb, nor the circuit behind it and i have continuity all the way to the plug, checked the manual and it says check fuse no 13 METER (10A) in the under dash fuse box, checked that against the fuse box reference guide but that says it should be a 15A, so checked the fuse itself and it is a 15A and there is continuity, cant imagine there is a fuse just for the one warning light and the gauge itself is working fine :-?

CARRisma

Post by CARRisma » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Free Ranj Egg wrote:I filled the car up a few weeks back and managed to put 57 litres of fuel into when the capacity is 55.

The light definitely isn't working at all, I normally let it get down to the light and then fill up again. I don't do 20 quid etc so its normally just a straight tank it, use it, and replace it lol.

Like I mentioned earlier the problem in itself is quite small, I would rather it be sorted because its doing my head in lol
I had this problem years ago.

First of all, try replacing the low fuel warning light dashboard bulb. The part number is: 37103-SD2-003, back in 2011 it cost £5.85. This didn't fix my problem so I had to replace the fuel gauge sending unit. This is in the fuel tank so you'll need to remove the rear seats to get access. The part number is: 37800-S30-305 and cost me £101.65 back in October 2011. It's straight forward to replace, but a tad scary as you have to open the top of the fuel tank.

Oh and the fuel tank is 60 litres.
2000 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi (H22A8 / BB8).

Max

Post by Max » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Next step is to remove the rear seat cushion, remove the access panel and locate the 3P connector to the sender unit, turn the ignition on and jump pins 1 + 3, if the light comes on check the sending unit, if the light does not come on check for:

- an open in the LT GRN/RED wire between the fuel unit and fuel gauge assembly
- blown bulb
- poor ground (G501)

Cant be arsed with taking the seat cushion off just now but will have a look over the weekend at some point...

Max

Post by Max » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 pm

CARRisma wrote:
Free Ranj Egg wrote:I filled the car up a few weeks back and managed to put 57 litres of fuel into when the capacity is 55.

The light definitely isn't working at all, I normally let it get down to the light and then fill up again. I don't do 20 quid etc so its normally just a straight tank it, use it, and replace it lol.

Like I mentioned earlier the problem in itself is quite small, I would rather it be sorted because its doing my head in lol
I had this problem years ago.

First of all, try replacing the low fuel warning light dashboard bulb. The part number is: 37103-SD2-003, back in 2011 it cost £5.85. This didn't fix my problem so I had to replace the fuel gauge sending unit. This is in the fuel tank so you'll need to remove the rear seats to get access. The part number is: 37800-S30-305 and cost me £101.65 back in October 2011. It's straight forward to replace, but a tad scary as you have to open the top of the fuel tank.

Oh and the fuel tank is 60 litres.
My money is on the sender, not sure how motivated i am to deal with that :lol:

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:16 pm

UPDATE - As I was driving this week, the light slowly came on in a faded fashion and then turned off and never came back on lol.

Could it just a loose connection?
I came before the chicken.. The argument is now settled!!

H22A8 197 motor with 190k on the clock
Tanabe lowering springs.
Skunk 2 megapower exhaust with a decat
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel
Type S Door inserts in Red

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:59 pm

Free Ranj Egg wrote:Could it just a loose connection?
indigolemon wrote:The coming on dim, fading, coming back etc - that is down to the way you drive the car. Knock it's pan in and you'll get a nice solid light as you're eating the dinosaur juice. Drive a bit more conservatively, and you're treated to a fading in and out. All my ludes had the slow fade in and out at first, changing to solid as the tank emptied.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:06 pm

Merlin - what pan should I be knocking?

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Post by Merlin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:41 pm

:D That is a Fifers (someone from Fife) lingo confusing you.

The fuel light is dynamic in that the harder you drive the brighter the light will be. The ECU will estimate how long it will take you to run out of fuel at your current rate. Drive hard (Knock it's pan in) and the light will be on bright when low on fuel. Pootle around and the light will be dim until you are right about to run out of fuel.
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:13 pm

AH ok that makes sense. Recently depending on how I drive the light just didn't come on at all, which made me post on here. Then recently it came on quite dim. But between the post and the light recently coming on quite dim, it has hard a mixture of hard and not so hard driving.

Right now the light does not come on and fuel gauge is well below empty.

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

Return to “General Chat”