Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

If you were to combine cars what would you have?

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

If you were to combine cars what would you have?

Post by lewd lude lover » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:21 pm

OK, so, hypothetical question.

You have your car, your Missis has hers. If you were to combine those two cars into one fun car that she could do a bit of work in and you could have fun in, yet retaining at least an edge of versatility and practicality, what might you consider? Only need for the car is fun and taking her to meetings and back.

Budget of £12,000.
Age pref post 2005 but not a issue.

So far I have the E46 M3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-M3-S ... SwAwFaumZb

The Nissan 370z

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-60-NISS ... SwdPpbEKGQ

Audi S4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S4-2009 ... Swy6la-tCg

For me at the moment it's in that order but I am interested in what cars you might consider given those pretty loose criteria.

Cheers.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:52 pm

DC5type r and the spend a couple of grand specing it up a bit? Hmm...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-Honda-I ... SwySlZ6HqO

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm

Bmw 330d. Seems to tick every box.

Shiny
My Generation: 0G

Post by Shiny » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:23 am

I had a similar dilemma a few years back. Had my CC7 Accord as the family car and the Lude as the fun car.

Under the threat of divorce if carried on living in the garage polishing things, I had to go down to 1 car. So i needed a car that would make me smile like the Lude but could pack the family for a week away in a caravan in Cornwall.

The natural choice was the ATR.

I’ve been thinking about changing it on and off for a couple of years but to be honest nothing really floats my boat. Maybe a Jag, but meh. I actually like the Kia Stinger, will be a good buy in a few years as no doubt the value will drop like a stone. I’ve had a hankering for a Legend on and off, luxury auto cruiser, but when I drive there ATR all thoughts of changing it disappear.

I appreciate the ATR is s bit old school and perhaps not as reliable as a newer motor, so how about the CL7 Euro R? K20, lots of fun, practical.

From your list I guess it would be an S4. Every man and his estate agent has a BMW these days, M3s are expensive to run and fix. Not so keen on the 370z, no real wow appeal for me. The Audi is visually dull too, but perhaps the lesser of three evils. The S4 and M3 keep getting nicked, so it may keep you awake at night poking your head through the curtains to check it is still there.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:55 am

Why have one car.

My work van VW T6 is the daily, great drivability and very practical with luggage but only 2 passenger seats. Torque diesel let down by constant dpf Regens thus quite thirsty. Quite fun to drive.

Prelude as a fast fun but driveable daily, difficult in town mind you with the tad heavy clutch, light flywheel and uber sensitive boost pedal. Not economical at all because race car but good luggage and 3 passengers and refined enough.

Incoming car no 3. Completely utterly impractical, very economical, cheap and fun everywhere. Probably slow though.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 am

Vtecmec wrote:Bmw 330d. Seems to tick every box.
Except the FUN button mate. The 3.0 derve has legs for sure but its still a derve and its made for the field. Unless its got 5000bhp and a 7''smoke stack spitting black coal out the top derve is not ever going to be on the list. I might as well get an auto.... :( now the E92 330i coupe is a different matter.

shiny Yes the ATR or the like would be on the list for sure. My only issue is FWD. FWD just doesnt have the appeal to make me spend 10-12k on it any more. Honda dont make enough RWD options and the S2000 is not practical. After my 328 with LSD I can honestly say I have been spoilt. If the lude had the mid range grunt of the M52 engine or was RWD I would keep it for ever but it has neither so it's days are probably numbered....
Yes the M3 will cost but more than keeping two cars serviced, taxed, mot'd, insured to a good standard? maybe but it will return more enjoyment in loads of ways. The second option within that section would be the E92 330i. Lots of fun but still a 'normal' car... The S4 is boring as all hells but its a good solid option. The 370z is all I can think of in the recent japanese offerings that I could even consider. I just cant think of a good jap sports coupe in the last 15 years? thats why Im asking, have I forgotten something?

RattyMcClelland we dont have two cars....... we have 5 in the family and 3 between nicola and I. 4X4, BMW 1 series and the lude. We need the 4X4 for work and towing..... we dont need a car each over and above that. It's just not practical storing three cars on a piece of woodland and we cant park where we live as no space. I do about 5k a year and nicola maybe 10k. Hence toying with the idea of downsizing to two rather than three cars. 4X4 and one really decent car.

Its all hypothetical and spit balling as we will be fine for a couple of years but I am wondering what has been produced that could be an option? It does give me a good chance to go round test driving a load of cars for a while though :lol:

The E92 330i coupe looks to be a decent option? 272bhp, RWD, comfy. I like bmw after owning two. They are well put together in the main, just like honda, but they are RWD and it makes driving so much more rewarding.

I just wish there was more choice in the honda stable but they just dont make em like they used to....

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 am

My mums fiance had an e92 335d auto and honestly it spent more time at BMW and in the local garage than on the road.
The auto box is a big bang of wanky mccuntface. The solenoids last about 20 gear changes.

He chopped it in for a 2014 Golf R.

mart609
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: mart609
PSN GamerTag: mart609

Post by mart609 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:33 am

GT86?

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:47 am

mart609 wrote:GT86?
A good option within the spec but not for me I'm afraid. Just too under powered and a little too over designed on the bodywork for my tastes.. It's great fun as long as you have the stock prius tires on it but put some decent width on there and the tail gets heavy. Maybe with a turbo on it or even better the 7GR engine? then I'd be interested. The type S is 217 ad 2.2l so a drop of 20% is not going to be balanced by RWD. It's a good car but I want more and will accept older for the same money.

something like this in RHD and mybe I could be persuaded. But I would want more than £500 worth of turbo kit to be fair.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LHD-TOYOTA-G ... SwUF9a4H-Y

Do the back seats drop down to make a big open boot area?

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:49 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-GT86- ... SwSrVajTQ0

Now we're talking..... 10k too much though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Chat”