Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Bought Another Vtec Machine

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
prelude_h22
My Generation: 5G

Bought Another Vtec Machine

Post by prelude_h22 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:34 pm

Hi All,

Since parting ways with my 1999 Honda Prelude 2.2 vti back in 2016 for personal reasons as most of you already know, I have always missed having a project and the screaming antics of a Honda high revving NA VTEC engine.

My 6 years no claims bonus on a 2nd vehicle was due to expire, so it was now or never to purchase another VTEC machine.

Despite my on-going situation I decided to bite the bullet and get one as it was now or never, I contemplated hard in getting another Honda Prelude but this time though I thought I would try and purchase a VTEC machine that I have always lusted after, an "S2000"

The S2000 has always been one of my favourite Honda's (with the exception of the NSX), it has that legendary F20 engine, probably one of the best gearboxes in the automotive world and a body that has aged extremely well over time

When they first came out back in 1999, I knew one day I had to have one. However, over the past several years their values have been steadily increasing with a facelift 2005 model now reaching around £13k.

After viewing over 4 S2000's, I realised that most S2000's out there are actually in quite poor condition. People tend to buy them, keep them for a year or so and then sell them on to gain from its increase in value.

With that, anything over 10k in my opinion is far too much to pay for a toy. I then started to look at the older pre-facelift models.

Being so close to my NCB deadline, I managed to find and bag one for a really cheap price due to it needing some work, however overall it is in great shape. The body is in superb condition and the car does feature original facelift version 2 alloys. The only upgrade are the speakers, which will be removed and reverted back to originals.

The driving experience is so different to any Honda I have driven, the rawness of the S2000 coupled with its superb gearbox and that 9k RPM limit engine makes you feel like you're in a racing car. When you push that engine and work those gears the car just puts a smile on your face every time.

The previous owner has had the car standing for quite some time, the usual suspects need addressing.
This includes:
-Flaky rocker cover
-Brake discs and pads
-Seized rear callipers
-Very slight rust appearing on the lower rear quarter of the side sill
-Clutch is slightly worn
-Will need a fresh service (all fluids)

No plans for any modifications, the car will be more of a project restoration with the odd genuine OEM accessory upgrade.

Will be starting a project log soon.

My S2000 journey begins.

Thanks Guys

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 pm

prelude_h22 wrote:
With that, anything over 10k in my opinion is far too much to pay for a toy.
:oops: Oh dear. I shall say no more until my toy arrives.

That's is a stunning car. Great buy.

toadster

Post by toadster » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Lo :D
Looks very nice :mrgreen:
Enjoy 8-)
Cheers ;)
Toadster

norks27
Supporter 2016

Post by norks27 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Great buy, looks in good condition.
Saw some at Beaulieu today, some hard extremely rotten rear arches, (was quite shocked at how bad one of them was).

Gratz :D

prelude_h22

Post by prelude_h22 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:08 pm

Thanks guys for the messages :)
:oops: Oh dear. I shall say no more until my toy arrives.
haha! If i had a driveway and or garage spending that money on a toy would be fine :)
It be just staying outside in a communal carpark of our flat so open to elements and other cars potentially hitting it :(

Thanks Toaster :)
Saw some at Beaulieu today, some hard extremely rotten rear arches, (was quite shocked at how bad one of them was).
Some are really getting on abit now and a few we viewed when buying had some bad condition arches. Being nearly 20 years old and not having much underseal from the factory the early ones are starting rot away now.

The lower sections are starting to go but should be ok with some little treatment to slow it down until I can get them down properly eventually.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:20 pm

Well done, and very glad to hear from you again! I drove a S2000 once, and it was great. Nevertheless, I think I'll stick with your "old" Prelude, which still gives me a lot of pleasure. Fairly recent pics of it are on my post here;

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... 21614.html

Since those were taken someone managed to reverse in to me, scuffing the front bumper quite badly. The culprit paid for the repair, and the bodyshop said that it would be easier to repair and respray the entire bumper, so the few scrapes on the other side got sorted at the same time.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:15 am

Welcome back!

Nice motor. 8-)
Just as you've said, ,my mate has one pretty much identical to that, '07 I think that does about 500 miles a year and as a result is slowly falling apart. Roof needs doing, alloys, etc. Yet its still worth £££ as it has something like 30k miles on it. :o :(
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

prelude_h22

Post by prelude_h22 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:50 pm

Well done, and very glad to hear from you again! I drove a S2000 once, and it was great. Nevertheless, I think I'll stick with your "old" Prelude, which still gives me a lot of pleasure. Fairly recent pics of it are on my post here;

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... 21614.html

Since those were taken someone managed to reverse in to me, scuffing the front bumper quite badly. The culprit paid for the repair, and the bodyshop said that it would be easier to repair and respray the entire bumper, so the few scrapes on the other side got sorted at the same time.
Geriatrix, fantastic to hear from you :)
It has been a while and still not back on my feet but thought what the hell, its now or never.

Lovely to see the Prelude once again, I'll pop over to see your thread.

Sorry to hear about someone grazing the bumper, must be something about red cars. The same happened to me when I owned it - they also grazed the front bumper and he too also confessed and paid for it. haha!

prelude_h22

Post by prelude_h22 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Welcome back!

Nice motor. 8-)
Just as you've said, ,my mate has one pretty much identical to that, '07 I think that does about 500 miles a year and as a result is slowly falling apart. Roof needs doing, alloys, etc. Yet its still worth £££ as it has something like 30k miles on it. :o :(
Thanks bennyboy, the s2k is fantastic. No where near as mint as the prelude but its not too bad.
I'll be adding my OCDness to it over the summer.

its great to be back here.
I popped over to the S2ki forum (which is everything s2000) but its just a different world to lude gen, just not lively quite dull. lol. Great information though, everything there is to know about the s2k is covered really well.

I know what you mean, s2000's are just silly prices now. There are so many bad and neglected ones outhere.
Plus they are really expensive to restore as s2000 parts, even 2nd hand stuff is crazy expensive.

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:29 am

prelude_h22 wrote:
Welcome back!

Nice motor. 8-)
Thanks bennyboy, the s2k is fantastic. No where near as mint as the prelude but its not too bad.
I'll be adding my OCDness to it over the summer.

its great to be back here.
I popped over to the S2ki forum (which is everything s2000) but its just a different world to lude gen, just not lively quite dull. lol. Great information though, everything there is to know about the s2k is covered really well.

I know what you mean, s2000's are just silly prices now. There are so many bad and neglected ones outhere.
Plus they are really expensive to restore as s2000 parts, even 2nd hand stuff is crazy expensive.
Yeah, this all sounds very familiar, had similar convos with him over the years.
TBH, he doesn't really need a car. If I had the time/space/cash I'd buy his and bring it back to its former glory as none of it is severe.
As I've stated on here before I love the S2k, I just don't want one enough. :| Perhaps what I really mean by that though is not as an only car. They are a great drive though and you're right, the gear shift is one of the best. 8-)

They completely deserve their imminent collector status, I actually called that some time back - Said to my mate it's the last of a breed and it's a great car, no way it can't become a classic.
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Return to “General Chat”