Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Exporting JDM from the UK to the USA. Whats the skinny?

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Exporting JDM from the UK to the USA. Whats the skinny?

Post by lewd lude lover » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:57 pm

So I'm interested in some knowledge re the American market for JDM and what is the best route if you wanted to sell a well running type s with a massive amount of parts and extras.

What are the best forums?
Do you expect to get more for the final sale?
Can you get the car inspected and sold via a carfinder service?

I'm still in love with the car but if I was to sell now would be the best time. It's running perfectly and needs for nothing. I have spare type s engine, gearbox, atts, full suspension, subframes etc etc etc motegi kit and oem skirts, two carbon bonnets along with the original and a consistent build history. It is totally rust free and has been tastefully modified.

What would you expect to pay for a 4.4/5 type S with 25 years worth of unique parts in a bundle? And would the Americans be willing to pay more? In the UK I would want no less than 5k for the lot as it's standing and that would see the buyer good for decades of hobby fun. But whats the USA like?

cheers.
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Not sure about exporting to USA and how it all works but considering your well looked after Type-S with spare parts (including an engine, Atts, body parts etc etc) I wouldn’t want anything less then £10K. That’s basically one and half Type-S you’ve got there.

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:21 pm

Well I have just paid 7k for a fresh import 1999 type s with 81k miles on the clock. Grade 4b. Not that it helps with what's it's worth in the US. It does sound like 5k is undervaluing it though.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:05 pm

ah ok, fair enough. I suppose I should readdress it and have a serious think. I never really thought about being able to get more than 5k even though I feel the future proofing with all the parts gives it added value.

OK, I will have a look at a couple of sites and see what they think in the states.

cheers for the replies.

newkid
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 pm

ATR84 wrote:Well I have just paid 7k for a fresh import 1999 type s with 81k miles on the clock. Grade 4b. Not that it helps with what's it's worth in the US. It does sound like 5k is undervaluing it though.
Yourself or from an import company?

As for types to America I can't see there being to much interest. Its strict rules to import and they had the sh which had atts. Parts are a different matter tho as they love the jdm extras.

paul bristol uk
My Generation: 4G

Post by paul bristol uk » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:02 pm

Can you export a right hooker to the USA?
I have kleptomania,
But when it gets bad,
I take something for it.

nitin_s1

Post by nitin_s1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:32 am

newkid wrote:As for types to America I can't see there being to much interest
There is lots of interest, I know of three people already who have got Type-S already and just waiting for it to be 25+ year and over so they can legally drive it.

James, you’ll have no trouble getting a good price for your Type-S. I have contacts there so I can spread the word out properly (as I’m a whore on all social media and forums).

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:04 am

newkid wrote:
ATR84 wrote:Well I have just paid 7k for a fresh import 1999 type s with 81k miles on the clock. Grade 4b. Not that it helps with what's it's worth in the US. It does sound like 5k is undervaluing it though.
Yourself or from an import company?

As for types to America I can't see there being to much interest. Its strict rules to import and they had the sh which had atts. Parts are a different matter tho as they love the jdm extras.
Import company - Torque gt.

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015

Post by lewd lude lover » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:48 am

nitin_s1 wrote:
newkid wrote:As for types to America I can't see there being to much interest
There is lots of interest, I know of three people already who have got Type-S already and just waiting for it to be 25+ year and over so they can legally drive it.

James, you’ll have no trouble getting a good price for your Type-S. I have contacts there so I can spread the word out properly (as I’m a whore on all social media and forums).

Cheers man, I was going to ask you personally as I know you are plugged into a number of data streams I wont know exist.
If I do sell it i am offering an almost once in a life time chance to buy into a car and know you have everything you could want for years to come. That means it will go to someone investing in their future, rather than just a car to drive.

@newkid: yes they certainly want everything JDM including the cars. If you are driving a right hooker over there in the jap scene you are the kiddy and no mistake. I just wonder if they will pay more (as they will for any other bit of JDM razzledazzle) and I know there is a good chance it'll end up somewhere it wont ever get rusty.

@paul: yes but they have to be the right age (over 25 in most states) and you have to have found a buyer I think.

With the car being 23 it will be eligable on some places, or, if its looking like there would be a significant hike in price, I can wait a couple of yours maybe...

It's all up in the air but 5k doesnt seem worth selling for the work put in and the parts. between 7-10 and I would seriously consider it.

nitin_s1

Post by nitin_s1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Let’s put it this way. My car which is now mint and low mileage engine, had an offer of $10k to get it to him in the states from this chap who love Prelude’s and has had lots in the past. I said no :geek:

Return to “General Chat”