Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Exhaust bung removal and refit

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Free Ranj Egg
My Generation: 5G

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am

Hi guys hope you are all well.

ATR84 has been kind enough to sell me his exhaust bung which I just plonked into the exhaust and screwed on. I have now lost the screw which to be fair isnt that much of a big deal.

I have never fitted one before and dont think I have done a proper job. It seems to have changed the drive of the car, ie theres more torque lower down and a smoother transition to vtec. Before the bung I had less power low down and the vtec crossover was quite aggressive.

The exhaust tip has a slight diagonal cut (Skunk 2 megapower) and the bung protudes out slightly. I think I may be loosing some pressure and thats causing the car to feel a little slower. Also theres a hole in the exhaust which is quite down the pipe and I dont think the bung goes that far back for me to fit it.

So my questions are:

1.) Can I remove the bung with just a set of pliers? Do I need to take care not to bend or scratch it and;
2.) How do you properly re fit it? Is it just a case of pushing it back as far as I can?

I have checked on line and there are videos but they arent detailed.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Ranj
I came before the chicken.. The argument is now settled!!

H22A8 197 motor with 190k on the clock
Tanabe lowering springs.
Skunk 2 megapower exhaust with a decat
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel
Type S Door inserts in Red

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:55 am

A bung restricts sound buy restricting flow.
If you didn't have you car remapped on the new exhaust that explains it. A larger exhaust untuned will make the car run slightly richer as more volume of air meaning more oxygen, which the exhaust o2 sensor compensates for by telling the ecu to run richer and which would loose you power down low when the ecu is in open loop mode like daily driving.

The more aggressive vtec would be when it's closed loop and it runs off the ecu map and vtec uses the richer fuel better and will feel more aggressive.

Generally speaking of course.

You have done it right but it need remapping to suit.

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:39 pm

@RattyMcClelland - Where can I get a remap from? The exhaust is also decatted so may benefit from a remap

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Do you have a mappable ecu like the hondata obd1 p28 ecu? If not you will need that first and an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. Might be worth holding off unless you do other engine mods as its close to £600-700 for the ecu and remap.

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Its running an OBD2 and yes I agree. I am in 2 minds at the moment whether to get another lude and use this one for parts, or to spend some money and repair the one I have. The issue I have is that a silly mechanic has damaged my block near the crank tensioner by ramming the bolt in which has damaged the thread inside the block. Theres also a few other bits that need doing like the arches, a re spray, a new head until and speakers and I need some wing mirrors as one has been kicked off by an idiot.

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

Return to “General Chat”