Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Help - is this the end of my lude

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Free Ranj Egg
My Generation: 5G

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 am

Hi guys

Hope everyone is well. I think I may have killed my lude so just wanted some advice if it's worth keeping to do the work on it or get a quick repair done on it and start saving for a new car.

The Mrs and I came back from Greece last night and the car was parked in a car park. When I started the car it sounded a bit rough but figured it was just cold.

We got onto the M1 and I noticed my steering wheel get a bit heavy. I carried on driving and then hear a knocking noise. A few minutes later the battery light and brake light come on followed by the 4ws light. I slowdown and continue to drive from near Milton Keynes towards Brum.

The car gave symptoms like it was the charging system so I took a guess and thought it was the alternator. Slowly as I'm driving I see things shutting off. Next the ABS light comes on and the wipers slow down too. I get near J6 on the M42 and the car completely dies. I arrange a tow truck home.

I wake up this morning and start the car and it started perfectly. I lift the bonnet to find the alternator belt has snapped and the crank pulley is loose. I changed the pulley a few years back after a belt snap.

Have I done extensive damage to the engine? I dont want to sell the car but if it's getting to the stage where I need to consider if it's time is up and for me to move on. The car seemed to drive ok on the way home so I'm not sure exactly how much damage is done.

Has anyone had a snapped belt before and did the car survive without any major internal damage

Thanks

Ranj
I came before the chicken.. The argument is now settled!!

H22A8 197 motor with 190k on the clock
Tanabe lowering springs.
Skunk 2 megapower exhaust with a decat
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel
Type S Door inserts in Red

bennyboy
Art Mechanic
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: OCbennyboy

Post by bennyboy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am

Hang on, the alt belt has snapped, not the cambelt yes? In which case the engine itself should be fine.
As I was reading the symptoms I was thinking alternator as I had very similar some years back, turned out to be the main plug to the alternator coming loose...
The biggest issue here will be the crank pulley. I have been in that boat twice because of incompetent garages...
Bottom line is at best you may get away with a new pulley and Woodruff key, as that's most likely had it too.
At worst, the crank nose may have been damaged. HOWEVER, don't let that spell the end of the car! As a top notch mechanic very well known in these parts once suggested to me, there are ways and means. For example, do the cambelt etc, tack weld the pulley to the crank and at least you have 60k miles 5 years to not worry about it. Can always source stuff at leisure in the meantime if required.
HTH!
UKDM BB1 H22A8 NH561P 244bhp 173lbft

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:54 am

Cheers mate for reply. Now I need to find a crank and woodruff key from this forum. Cant afford a new one at the moment

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

Andyjess666

Post by Andyjess666 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:08 pm

If its a 5fh gen new kids breaking one

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:13 pm

Buy new. They are cheap IMO.

Crank pulley
https://h-tune.co.uk/genuine-honda-acco ... ley-h22a7/

Woodruff
https://h-tune.co.uk/genuine-honda-cran ... onda-h22a/

Woodruff key isn't really needed. I didn't need mine.

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:53 pm

shouldn't be any long term damage.

new alternator belt is probably only 10/15quid.

The pulley, when you say its loose, is that the outer part? the outer part (Where the belt goes) is not connected directly to the crank part, there is a rubber ring so as to isolate and balance the assembly - but the rubber likes to wear away or lose adhesion.

If its just the rubber bit gone (so outer is wobbly and inner bit is firmly bolted to the crank/engine) then your pretty safe to just replace it and the belt and you'll be fine.

If the middle part of the pulley has come loose - that would be strangely and worth checking further...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:20 am

I think its the middle part of the pulley @Scott560 as the Pulley hits the cover and makes a funny sound. Funnily enough I have already replaced the Pulley a few years ago and then this happened again. Lucky me lol.

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:25 am

That's what made me think the pulley has come loose, and not broken up, since you said you replaced it only a few years back.
It usually takes about 2 years to work loose I find, just long enough not to be able to take it back to the garage that fitted it.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :x
They have a famously high dry torque spec that most garages just ignore (even when you 1. Tell them about it and 2. Give them a printed out page of the service manual. Ask me how I know... :evil: )
I disagree with Ratty, if it IS the pulley that's come loose and is most likely damaged as a result, for the sake of £7 I'd just replace the key too. What's £160, when you've got to spend £150 anyway. That's actually cheaper than the last time I had to get one a godd few years back, I think it was over £200.
First instance is to get the thing off and see what you're dealing with anyway. :)

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Free Ranj Egg

Post by Free Ranj Egg » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:52 pm

@bennyboy - When I spoke to the garage they said basically to get a new pulley. I will try and take some pictures over the weekend but basically the pulley didn't really make any noise until the near end when the car completely shut down. The alternator still work as I started the car and the pulley rattle is only when the car is started or the ignition is switched off. Other than that it makes no noise what so ever.

Saying that it is quite loose and it may be that the centre part of it is fine, I just don't know how to check it without taking it off. I am not the smartest dude when it comes to mechanics.

Tanabe lowering springs.
M2B4 LSD Gearbox
Lightened flywheel
S2000 Steering Wheel

bennyboy
Art Mechanic

Post by bennyboy » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Fair enough.
You'll need to/need them to take it off and inspect the pulley and the crank end. I suspect the pulley will have had it, but you may be lucky!
I wouldn't stress too much about the rest of the symptoms - everything else runs off that pulley so if the belt connecting it goes, as it has, you'll lose the power to the rest of the system.
Mine went half way round the M25 :x I tightened it as much as I could at the side of the road (had a socket set with me) and drove it PAW who sorted everything properly.
Have a look in the 4th gen manual for the toque setting, it's imperative that the garage use it! :!:

'Nigella'

www.benaskem.co.uk

Return to “General Chat”