Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Corona - who is doing what?

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
OEM+
My Generation: 5G

Post by OEM+ » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 pm

I'm well into the second week of lockdown and, as my 'lude isn't going to get much cleaner, I'm looking into a few other tasks to make productive use of this time at home. Hope to refurbish my headlights over the Easter weekend (my 3M kit should arrive tomorrow, drill charging as we speak!) and after that I'll giving serious consideration to refurbishing the alloys...

...so if anyone can offer recommendations for primer, lacquers, etc, I'd appreciate it - and, as I'd like to go a little darker with the finished colour, I'd love to see ideas and results from any of you who have already refurbed your own!
JayIG • 5th Gen 2.2VTi 2WS Auto • 91k

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:41 pm

OEM+ wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 pm
I'm well into the second week of lockdown and, as my 'lude isn't going to get much cleaner, I'm looking into a few other tasks to make productive use of this time at home. Hope to refurbish my headlights over the Easter weekend (my 3M kit should arrive tomorrow, drill charging as we speak!) and after that I'll giving serious consideration to refurbishing the alloys...

...so if anyone can offer recommendations for primer, lacquers, etc, I'd appreciate it - and, as I'd like to go a little darker with the finished colour, I'd love to see ideas and results from any of you who have already refurbed your own!
With the headlights, have you tried these wipes?

I have ordered a set and will try them out on my daily driver, an old Lexus GS300. I am just curious as it looks so much easier than getting the drill out and doing all that polishing haha

OEM+

Post by OEM+ » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:28 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:41 pm
...have you tried these wipes?
Haven't tried them personally, but I've no doubt they're the easier option. The chap I bought my car off of used a similar product in the past to good effect, but one lens in particular has some really stubborn marks that didn't come out. So... time for the abrasives!

nalla

Post by nalla » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:03 pm

Toothpaste & a kitchen scouring pad work well. And cheap.

OEM+

Post by OEM+ » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:32 pm

Result! Headlights came up a treat using the 3M kit. It was almost therapeutic, gradually watching the marks and discoloration disappear... the nearside needed more attention to remove some really stubborn build-up and scratches, but I was able to get both done with enough pads left over to tackle a pair of foglights - as and when I eventually source some.

Even more fun today was finally getting round to fitting my EP2 steering wheel - a tiny bit smaller and chunkier than the original. With a little Dremel assistance, I even managed to transfer across the cruise control buttons... I'm chuffed with the finished article, looks like how I reckon it should've when it left the factory!

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm

I'm listed as a key worker by my company and client, but I can do loads of stuff remotely so have been working from home since the start of all this and have been absolutely flat out, never busier tbh.
I'd always avoided video conferencing till now, but that had to be got over pretty damn quickly! :lol:
TBH I've been surprised and found that with decent software (Teams is good, Skype isn't) things like single document reviews can be done just as effectively like this as when sat around a table with people - gets more difficult with large technical drawings or multiple docs that you're needing to keep swapping between and cross-referencing, though.

I will need to do a run out to one of the sites, sooner rather than later though.

Being separated from my barn has been a pain, but I did one run over there and filled the boot with tools and parts, so have been hitting the cars on the drive instead! :D And how I'd have coped if I didn't have a garden to go out into as well... I don't know. Well pleased of that.

Return to “General Chat”