Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Abingdon track day 16/10/2020

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:02 pm

Hadn't been to the track for a while, so was good to get out again. The lude performed nearly perfectly, with the exception of my brake pedal feel which caused me to go 'off' and scuff a cone lol.

Eitherway, good day had by all (4 of us from work and a mutual acquaintance in the DC5).

Splashed out on a new go pro so I could record the sessions, and uploaded to youtube. Nothing much exciting. I'm no racing driver by any means, just enjoy having a good blast. Not much out of control behaviour, im not sure its possible to oversteer in the prelude lol. Understeer city - only a slight effect could be felt from the ATR diff, no where as strong as the effect in a DC5 for example.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh_Gm8 ... PTZw1WLpVQ

Session 4 - 16mins is where I go off, the brakes hadn't gone off as far as i could tell, but I don't think I did a prepump to get the pedal back. either that or just wasn't concentrating! Easily done. I haven't even reviewed all the footage before uploading - so hopefully nothing too embarrassing in there.

over 40 laps done - no real problems. Must have gone through a litre of oil if not more. My previously spotless front disks, the drilled holes are 80% full of brake dust - not seen that before. I can also see why the rear exhaust heat shield is there -the boot floor was beyond too hot too touch since it was removed (rattling, only 1 bolt left holding it on).

Any comments welcome - anyone who hasn't done a trackday should consider it, its great fun and a good way to really put the car through its paces...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:48 am

really good sessions there, good car control! you could have gone wider through some corners carrying more speed but that's all in confidence and practise in these track days. apart from that i thought you did very well.

The ATF diff is only really going to kick in if your properly pushing the car through the corners i'd say. understeer is common in these and is bettered though good tyres, coilovers, stiffening the chassis etc. and improved car control, plus that day seemed "damp" and not the dries of days so i wouldn't worry about that.

i go through oil on these days too dont worry. brake dust again to be expected, plus depends on the make of the pads as some have crap loads of dust on trackdays.

i've driven a dc5 on track and yes its very quick, great car control, excellent braking ability but i found it rather dull compared to a prelude but that's just me - i can see why the dc5 is such a good car on track. the main thing is you had lots of fun so doesn't matter what else happened or didnt happen :D
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:15 am

Yeah I know what you mean about the wider corners - I seemed to drop out of vtec band in 3rd on the larger bends, and seem addicted to downshifting to 2nd which puts a bit of extra stress on the car/situation needlessly. Next time I might try and more calm approach.

The ATR diff is slightly week (compared to DC5), perhaps due to lack of power/grip. In the right hander after the hairpin, as I'm understeering/squealing out to the left, even if i give it some more beans, the understeer doesn't seem to subside or improve much. I could feel a slight diff effect in the next top corner in 2nd (the tight left bit with the cones and mud on the left / chicane), but again it was weak. I might try some better tyres next time (these were federal RSR 595 - cheap and grippy-ish, done a fair few days now so perhaps past their best). Perhaps the tyres were too flat actually, i reduced the pressure to 2.1 bar when they were roasting hot. My sidewalls look like I've run them near flat lol.

Even though the day started damp - there was no issue on that front after the first few laps thankfully. Pads were ds2500 front and rear - done a few days on them but never noticed the excessive dust before. was tempted to try ds3000 but they are a no go for road use apparently (bit pricey to try and realise its a mistake).

Like you say, it's all about having fun, and i always do (except the bloody handbrake sticking into my knee). Most people were courteous throughout the day, but there were a couple of people who could have moved out the way a little more readily - but appreciate for some people it's their first outing and looking ahead more than behind...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Drax

Post by Drax » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:41 am

for the tighter bends you were using lots of engine braking as well as normal braking which is excellent, so dont punish yourself there. i just think at a few of the corners you can go a bit wider and carry more speed thats all, more a confidence and technique things for next time but ive never done that circuit so it's just guesswork from what i can see.

understeer on our cars i find can be from accelerating a little too quick before the tight corner has finished or started straightening out - im guilty of this far too much and punch myself when i do it lol yes the 2.1 bar sounds too high to me, maybe try 27 at the front and 29 at the rear - tyres differ so play around with the pressures after each session maybe. the brand you use are good though, and the 2500 pads are rated excellent so nothing wrong with those!

im also glad most people were courteous, ive had a big mix of people over the years on track so some can be right arseholes :evil: but its pretty rare thankfully
FOR PAUL

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Swapped the OEM 16s back to my Motegi 17s just now, and noticed that the front discs have got a few cracks at the drilled holes. It wasnt the heaviest braking circuit that setup has had to deal with - guess the smaller course and exit location meant not much cool down time. Oh well, they have done a fair few track days now, but no where near worn at 27.9mm (28mm new) :( Always pays to inspect everything - these old cars take a beating but the amount of trouble I've avoided by keeping on top of things is frightening.

Still, gives me a chance to try something else pad/disc wise. Any recommendations?

Uploaded a few photos I took on the day of our group (all work colleagues), the lude shots were taken by the grey MX5 owner.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRC9UBY
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Drax

Post by Drax » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 am

great photos there 8)

ive seen mixed reviews on drilled disks, i would tend to choose solid when buying new though - it's the pads where it really counts so you dont need expensive disks. ive mainly run yellow stuff pads on all my track days with mixed results, i dont think they are as good as 2500's though. @Merlin and @Dino should be able to recommend pads better than me
FOR PAUL

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:51 am

Yeah - I too had read 'drilled disks always crack' , but hadn't experienced it in a fair few track days until this time. I'll probably just go for grooved/slotted this time to avoid the issue. The MTEC discs are surprisingly well priced - cheaper than standard from eurocarparts, and you can choose a variety of options and coatings.

Someone mentioned PBS pads, probably worth replacing discs/pads in one go since the ds2500's are a bit crumbly (they also have a fair few metalic particles in them, that get rusted to the handbrake/discs whenever it rains which always worries the missus when i drove off to a satisfying clunk-clunk as they free off).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 am

thanks for posting up the vids - they were good :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Drax

Post by Drax » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:16 am

Scott560 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:51 am
Someone mentioned PBS pads
that was me but i havnt tried them yet, this friday will hopefully show what they are like
FOR PAUL

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:31 pm

I'm using Dixcel Type Z pads. Now, zero track days with this but I properly abused them on the road and they are faultless.

Actually they aren't. They squeek like hell when cold and daily driving with minimal brake use, rude the brakes a tad and it stops but soon returns when cooled after a couple of mins.

Drilled discs always crack. Even the OEM ones of Porsches. Always see cracks in porsches discs when repairing customers cars paint.

Brembo blanks all the way.

Return to “General Chat”