Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

JDM BB6 SiR

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Frank
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: frankie_b

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by Frank » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:33 am

Good morning,

It’s been a while.

I’m always on the lookout for a prelude just there appears to not be very many kicking about. However I have seen a 1996 5th gen 2.2vtec sir import local to me.

I know nothing about these, what spec level is the sir? Just the base? It has the set nav and tv red interior. 75k on the clock but it’s mot history is odd big gaps of nothing and then one with loads of advisories. Followed my the most recent one with zero.

Also has the auto box. Is that any good?

Any thoughts and comments welcome.

Cheers,

Frank.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:25 am

Hi Frank

5th gen auto boxes used to have a terrible reputation for reliability when new.
The reality though, is that if it's working well when you get it and you change the oil properly, it shouldn't cause you any problem. There's several owners that have run 5th gen auto's long-term and it's now already lasted 27 years - so clearly isn't actually that bad!!!
They drive fine, but aren't as desired as the manuals by most people - it all depends if you like an auto or manual on that front, really.

The red interior and TV-style A/C set up is very desirable. Only available on imports.

Not a 5th gen spec expert, but this one is sounding like a 2.2. non-VTEC (F22B)... I'm saying that just on the basis that it's very very rare to see an H22 import with an auto box - they're basically always manual with the auto's on F22B's...
Not sure how familiar you are with Preludes so apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but it's easy to spot for sure from the valve cover.
If it's a VTEC (H22) it will say "DOHC VTEC" in big letters;
If it's a 2.2 non-VTEC, the valve cover will look like this;

I can't think of anyone on here that has had an F22B long-term, so you might not find much first-hand experience of them.
There's nothing to choose between on reliability etc (both just as reliable as the other) there's obviously just less performance with the F22B - and that's why they're less desirable for most people.

So really it comes down to what you are after.
Do you like/are you ok with auto's or do you want a manual?
Do you want the VTEC buzz, or are you not bothered with that?
Then after that it comes down to the usual's - condition and price.

Drax

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by Drax » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:32 am

The SIR import is a H22A engine with 197bhp. It will either be a 2WS BB6 or a 4WS BB8. the sat nav will likely be an original Honda Access optional extra as well as the red interior :thumbup:

i'm sure more experienced 5thgeners will pipe up and give lots more info 8)
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Frank

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by Frank » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:20 pm

Cheers for the replies guys, it is indeed a bb6. No 4ws or sunroof. I used have a bb4 back in the day but literally none for sale. It’s got 75k on the clock but the guy can’t decide if it’s miles or km.

My only concern with the auto is it saps the power down to the point where it’s dull to drive.

I do like the red interior it’s funky. Nothing will beat the 4th gen dash.

Cheers,

Oh yeah it’s £3k as well.

Drax

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by Drax » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:24 pm

im guessing its this one your looking at on car & classic?
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1383240

if so, she looks pretty good. it's mainly down to whether or not you'd be happy with an auto as the rest of the car is very desirable, especially for jdm points. If your in no rush to get one, hold on as manual h22's do pop up in a 5g. You do get 4g's for sale but they are rare as you say plus usually a restoration job to a certain extent or pretty big money for very clean/high bhp ones.

you can always get a manual swap done :thumbup:
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

wurlycorner

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:33 pm

TBF, it's really not difficult or expensive to manual swap a prelude.

That looks like a decent car and it's definitely not expensive - so if the only thing you don't like about it is that it's auto, I'd go for it and then manual swap it, if I were you.

One minor question... What's going on with the floor mats? The carpets are in great shape (so clearly has had mats in it) but it doesn't have any in the photos, except... on the passenger side, there's a genuine REAR floor mat, tucked in the very front of the front foot well :crazy:
Presumably the seller had/has all 4 genuine red mats? If so, you definitely want them too!

(Hate it when cars come with genuine floor mats, but used car dealers take them straight out and BIN them before advertising for sale, because they think it looks smarter with clean carpets... That will the get ruined because no floor mats - arseholes)

Frank

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by Frank » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:13 pm

My issue is the complete lack of service history and the Mot history looks odd.

Aside from that it’s pretty nice. What’s the performance of the auto like? 4spd?

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by 4thgenphil » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:24 pm

Is this the original Frank from puk?
:thumbdown:

Frank

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by Frank » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Hi mate, yep the one and only, I think.

Was that your burgundy 4th gen at marham for a while?

Frank.

wurlycorner

JDM BB6 SiR

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:12 pm

Frank wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:13 pm
My issue is the complete lack of service history and the Mot history looks odd.
Looking at the MOT history, it looks like in 2017 it was done at one of the garages that literally lists *everything* minor to cover themselves, on things that some other garages just won't bother listing (all my ludes you could list most of those things but they're in good nick, just it's not a 3 year old car/fresh nut and bolt restoration!)
Then taken off the road for 3-4 years (not that unusual with Ludes unfortunately :lol: )

Worth looking at the sill corrosion that was mentioned back in 2014 but nothing else jumping out as a real problem? What's concerning you?

Lack of service history wouldn't put me off really - unless it's been owned by a real enthusiast, a car this age is just unlikely to have it.
Just go on condition you can see and the only real service item that matters time-wise is the cambelt and auto-box fluid so useful to know those - if not, just change them anyway.

Return to “General Chat”