Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Need advice on buying this car - Quicker the better please

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Need advice on buying this car - Quicker the better please

Post by Merlin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:40 am

Ok, im discussing this here as its a little more private than PUK.

On PUK, the PUK member Martin, put up for sale his stripped out 4G track car for £600. I seemed to be the only one interested in it, I PM'd him to say that I was really interested but I wouldnt have the cash in hand untill 2-3 weeks. Plus I'll be out the country for a week. He says he's not in a rush, he just wants decent money for his car.

Today I get a PM saying that he's seen a car he wants to buy and he's put the track car on ebay for quick funds, fair enough. How should I go about trying to buy the car? It has no reserve, he wants cash on collection, he wants the car picked up at most 3 days after the end of the auction (ie wednesday at the latest - Not ideal as its mid-week). It has no MOT so would need to be taken away on a trailer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I could buy it through paypal as that comes of my credit card, if he'll accept that. Should I play the waiting game and try and win the acution and try and get the car really cheap? then try and arrange a transport company to get the car up to me? How would I get the documents signed though? Should I contact him and ask for the auction to be ended and offer him an ammount through paypal, if I do that how much should I offer? If its ended early there is a possiblity I could get a trailer and get it on sunday.

Any ideas or opinions how I should do this? The car is pretty much what im after. I dont want to drokk him off, but I dont want to pay £600 + £200 shipping + have to pay in cash just to get this week when I was orignally planning 3 weeks.

Edit - I leave for the US a week on Sunday
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Kawa
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: kawa222

Post by Kawa » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:58 am

Tough one mate :?

I'd bid for on ebay (5 seconds before it ends :D ) and hope to get a good deal and hopefully have enough left to pay for the transport.

Do you know anyone with a car trailer? There are a few members on PUK that have these - you just want someone in the manchester area or near your area. Might be cheaper than a commercial company - maybe.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Not meaning to rain on the parade, but that is a nasty situation to be in. Given the cost of 4G's, you could likely pick up one that was sound but with no mot for cheap and strip it out yourself

I hate being rushed into buying cars, as I like to look around them and take my time. Good luck whatever you decide man, but if it was me, I think I'd leave it.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:29 pm

I doubt he'll let it go for cheap as its had a load of work done recently, so I suppose I'll just play the Ebay game and see what happens. Just being in Scotland I was interested as its only a couple of hours away from me.

Keep your eyes out for a JDM 4G for me Graham ;)

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Personally bud I'd let it go and keep looking for another one. If you can find one that isn't stripped out then you can always sell the parts on! Make a tidy back from buying the car. It just seems like too much of a risk at the moment.
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Merlin wrote:Keep your eyes out for a JDM 4G for me Graham ;)
Will do man, and good luck with it. Do you have a tow car if you can get a trailer? If not, give me a shout ;)

Worst case is Jay said you can have his for 30p and some chewing gum. So if you get totally stuck, it's an option :lol:
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 pm

JayJay wrote:Personally bud I'd let it go and keep looking for another one. If you can find one that isn't stripped out then you can always sell the parts on! Make a tidy back from buying the car. It just seems like too much of a risk at the moment.
Yeah I have now come to that conclusion :x

indigolemon wrote:
Merlin wrote:Keep your eyes out for a JDM 4G for me Graham ;)
Will do man, and good luck with it. Do you have a tow car if you can get a trailer? If not, give me a shout ;)

Worst case is Jay said you can have his for 30p and some chewing gum. So if you get totally stuck, it's an option :lol:
:lol:

Yeah my Fiat Brava has a tow bar on it, I may be able to get a trailer from a friend. If this one falls through (which it probally will), I'll have another look for one when I get back from the US.

Ammo
Admin | Spammer Assassin

Post by Ammo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:47 pm

I nearly bought that car, he stole it from under my nose, he paid £700 for it complete, not sure it's worth £600 in it's stripped state

Merlin

Post by Merlin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I think we wants £600 for it as he said it just had £700 odd of work done at PAW 6 weeks ago.

Ammo
Admin | Spammer Assassin

Post by Ammo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:07 pm

I would imagine that if it doesn't go for what he wants he'll withdraw the auction :idea:

Return to “General Chat”