Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Diabetes

Banter goes here, and doesn't have to be Lude related
Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Diabetes

Post by Donald » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:13 pm

Any diabetics use this forum?

I need to write a bit about glucoregulation for Monday. I understand the insulin/glucagon/glycogen stuff, but I'm lacking info on physical/mental effects. I know I could Google this but you mostly get a bunch of crap over-reacting and giving you 948 pages of side-effects, mostly from unusable websites (I need to cite my sources so hearing from someone first-hand would be preferable to somewhere unreliable like WIkipedia).

Basically what I'm after is personal hypo/hyper experiences, which I can then relate to why it's vital to maintain a regular blood-glucose level.

Cheers if you can help :)

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Post by 4thgenphil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 pm

my brother is diabetic, type 2 i think (he injects insulin)

Hypo is very similar to dealing with a drunk and person, seriously he's nut when his blood sugars get low! he tried to eat his ceral with a cup a few times! once we came into the living room to find him standing on his head crying, when asked why he honestly thought it was a normal thing to do! when he has got really low its like he's had 15 pints and cant stand up. if he's a bit low he can get weepy and confussed and a but of a PITA :roll:

when he's hyper he is a complete angry tw@ TBH

surely there are some medical sites that have good info?

also i dont know if ur aware but your not really meant to cite wiki as its an amendable site that any one can change! :evil:

another point is if you are using Word 2010 it has a citing and referencing bit that is easy to use and if you cite the same bit of literature a few times its just a click of a button, it also keeps your citing consistent!

last point, the other week when i pulled of a car behide you did you see the car force me off the slip round back onto the dually again?
:thumbdown:

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:13 pm

if you wanna talk to him ur self i can ask him? he's a bit odd mind, being also blessed with asbergers syndrome! must have been a bad person in a previous life! :lol:

Donald
Supporter 2015

Post by Donald » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Cheers Phil, that's the kind of stuff I was after :P More the kind of psychological effects as opposed to physiological, there are some very good medical websites that include tons of stuff, but none really venture into the mental side of things. This is supposed to be about an animal but diabetes is diabetes (generally) and mammals are all the same (basically) so I can get away with human evidence so long as in my write up I don't anthropomorphise too much.

Yeah I know about Wiki, admittedly I do use it to look things up quickly, then find a reputable source to back it up. To be fair the information on there generally is correct, but yeah as you said... anything that can be amended by anyone is to be avoided ;) I don't have word but I've got this Harvard referencing thing down pat now. Out of curiosity how many assignments have you had so far? Not sure how coursework based your course is but I pretty much have an assignments due in every week, heard from a 2nd year the other day that in his 1st year they had 40 :cry:

Nah I didn't notice to be honest, I remember not seeing you come down the slip road and thinking that was odd since I assumed you use the A11. What happened then? Sounds fairly dodgy to me :S Also on the second bridge you go under after Thickthorn, I've seen either VOSA or speed camera vans sitting there the last couple of mornings, just a heads up incase you're errr... late or something ;)

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:26 pm

Top Tip, at the bottom ofany wikipedia article is the list of sources they use, and these are allowed ;)
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:34 pm

indigolemon wrote:Top Tip, at the bottom ofany wikipedia article is the list of sources they use, and these are allowed ;)
indeedy! i also find copying key phrases into google brings up good info! ;)

A1ex
My Generation: 5G

Post by A1ex » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:31 am

The guy I sit next to in work is diabetic, he also likes to talk a lot and tells me all about it. He's been diabetic for about 9 years and he turned 60 a couple weeks ago.

He has been a badly behaved diabetic so he doesn't maintain his blood sugar very well and it's starting to show. His eyesight is getting very poor, he needs a magnifying glass to read most things now. Also, he has been back and forth the hospital a lot having blood tests and he is also on blood thinners now (warfrin). He has also started falling asleep before coming into work, about 3 or 4 times in the last couple months he's come in at lunch time after falling asleep on the sofa in the morning. I believe he is a type 1 (I think that's no jabs)

There is also another guy I work with who is a type 2 (insulin jabs daily) and he also has not been particuarly well recently. He is much better behaved with it, eats at exact times and only certian foods but I suppose you need to be if your a type 2. He has had what was suspected to be kidney problems which has turned out to be muscular problems due to the diabetes.

Hope this helps.
PAW rebuilt 98 prelude 228bhp & 171lb/ft R.I.P.
PAW rebuilt 01 ATR 238bhp & 164lb/ft sold
Monte Carlo Blue 02 S2K :D

Donald
Supporter 2015

Post by Donald » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks guys, all information is helpful :) got it done now.

Return to “General Chat”