Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Civic (not integra!)

A section to talk about the model that Prelude owners love to hate... (but also secretly love)
ek9sid
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Civic (not integra!)

Post by ek9sid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Glad it went *relatively* smoothly. I did something similar about the alignment tool, except I used a ddep 10mm socket :lol:

I still remember the very first gearbox I rebuilt. A Peugeot 207 1.4 diesel. Everything went well until reassembly. I didn't get the splines on the input shaft lined up with the friction plate of the clutch properly. Proceeded to then "draw the gearbox in" using the same method as you. Needless to say, I think I stripped the threads in 2 holes as well as destroying the friction plate :facepalm: I look back thinking I should have stopped when it got stiff. But you learn from your mistakes.

Rambling on again... :lol:

Impact guns make a lot of jobs that bit easier.

Kudos to you on getting it done and keeping with it through the hardships

Scott560

Civic (not integra!)

Post by Scott560 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 pm

Bad luck seems to be coming my way. Still, glad I can use it all up on this civic, leaving only good luck for the prelude!

So I waited a week for some honda oem ball joint boots to turn up, it said royal mail 1st class on ebay, came via my hermes :cry: . Then, something extremely heavy must have landed on the boots in transit, because the base metal ring (which holds it captive to the balljoint body) was bent clean in half. Completely mullered. To save waiting another week - got myself a lovely 140mile round trip to pick up the replacement near southampton tomorrow. Can't wait another week, want the car off the drive and my mate would like to take delivery lol.

Then, whilst i was waiting for the boots to turn up, i thought i'd put all new brake fluid through it and the clutch (not that it was disturbed), then i spot another war wound at the rear! When i dropped the down pipe from the manifold, even though the movement at the back box was minimal, it decided it didn't like and the backbox snapped off clean at the flange. WTF! it didn't look bad at first, but must have been rotting from the inside out and I obviously just finished it off. FFS. Still, a cheap backbox is only 30quid, but now have to wait for that to turn up.

Then the gear stick gaitor from ebay, despite being 'custom made' in the uk, was made completely too small to fit. After at least 5 messages back and forth with the seller, they said they'd make me a new one. They said they had sold 'hundreds' , but after looking at their other items, i soon found the same item in a different colour with a review saying it didnt fit from last year. Annoys me that some ebay sellers stick to a script and just generally sell jobby. "Have you tried glueing it and heat gunning it?" "Have you got the wrapper it came in?" blah blha blah. FFS, its £11 , just send me another one already. Custom made my arse.

Oh, and the crimping on the halfords earth strap was body lemonade poor, and that seemed to pull out of its own accord (no pun intended).

Still , nearly finished, just gotta pop the driveshafts back in, wizz up the ball joints and hub nuts, fill the box with oil, and she is good to go....

...Until the next issue - to be continued!
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Civic (not integra!)

Post by ek9sid » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm

Scott560 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:12 pm
Still, a cheap backbox is only 30quid, but now have to wait for that to turn up.
Where did you get this from? Only asking as my mate has said that his has rotted completely. And the only one he can find is an ep2 sport one for £160 odd

Scott560

Civic (not integra!)

Post by Scott560 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:30 pm

found it on ebay! its a bit painful to search because not everyone uses the parts compatibility tool, and not everyone refers to the generations of civic the same. MK7 , mk vii , 2001-2006 etc etc.

in the end i just typed "civic backbox" and filtered cheapest first, then scrolled through until i found the right year/generation. bit of a crossover around the 2000/2001 mk6 (MB) and mk7 (ep/EU etc).
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Scott560

Civic (not integra!)

Post by Scott560 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:41 pm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC- ... 2749.l2649

funny story - the chap whom this car is destined for, had the previous generation civic (MB) which needed a new backbox also after dinging it on something, it was making a terrible rattle. He turns up at my house, places the new exhaust, tip side down first, into the gravel next to my drive way. When we picked it up to fit it, all the gravel went inside the backbox, so he ended up with new exhaust with an even more annoying rattle afterwards. To top it off, when he started the car to drive it off my ramps, he somehow dumped the clutch in reverse, wheelspinng the whole car and my ramps backwards about a foot. I now make a habbit of not stanidng in front of or behind any car when its being started.

Likewise, someone once stuck their hand into my car to start it whilst it was jacked up, too quickly for me to yell. It was in gear, rolled off the emergency jack, and nearly into my garage.

People sometimes think i'm too safety conscious, but you only have to have a few 'mishaps' like the above before it turns into a tragic accident.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Civic (not integra!)

Post by ek9sid » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 pm

Totally agree. People often ask me if I worry about working on cars and I always say to them "only if there's other people nearby" for this exact reasons.

Thanks for the link bud. I'll pass it forwards :thumbup:

Scott560

Civic (not integra!)

Post by Scott560 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:17 pm

@@ek9sid The el-cheapo backbox turned up today and fitted fine.

Car all put back together, and gearbox seems fine - great stuff. The check engine light came on on the maiden voyage, o2 sensor, reset it and then went for a long drive and not come back on since. happy days. Probably caused by previously being overfilled with oil, or never been driven hard.

Something seems loose in the front end though - was there before, but should try and find out what that is before handing it over to my mate. it's not the ARB drop links since they are new. Seems there are multiple common causes for similar noises (popular car i guess), so not economical to start replacing parts without a definite diagnosis first. I know someone with a lift, so perhaps it's worth paying them a visit to give it a good look over. However, without a machine to jiggle the suspension or actuate the struts, its hard to load up the joints/items enough.

Otherwise, what a horrible car to drive. Perfectly functional, just not very enjoyable. So much body roll, so much steering vagueness. I realise I've been harsh on the prelude seats during track days, saying they are not supportive enough, but the full leather seats are easy to slide out of in this civic lol.

Few little cosmetic jobs to do tomorrow, and double check everything for any silly errors - then try and ship it off to my mate and get it off the drive...

Thanks for the advice.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ek9sid
Supporter 2015

Civic (not integra!)

Post by ek9sid » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:45 am

That's good to know, thank you. I'm fairly certain his has been ordered. Strange about the o2 sensor but I think you're probably right on that.

By loose, what do you mean? Vague steering? Or something rattling/knocking? Probably will be a good idea to get it on a lift, even if just to have a poke around.

Glad you're all sorted with the gearbox and such though :thumbup:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Civic (not integra!)

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:07 am

Scott560 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:26 pm
New clutch went on very easily, made my own centering tool out of a socket extension and some electrical tape. Simply wrap the tape around the extension to the required diameter for the pilot bearing, then same again for the clutch plate. Happy with that...
Yep, I've done that before too - works well.
If you're really anal, you can cut a disc of card the same diameter as part of the clutch cover plate and slide that over the extension bar from the outside (helps line the outside end of the bar with the outside of the cover plate, so yo know the bar is dead straight).
Cleaned the bolt up, blew out the threaded hole and it went back in and torqued up to 64nm just fine, so i got away with that one.
That was a lucky escape - yep, it's never a good idea to try and use the bolts to force the box and engine together.
However, the the gearbox rear mount bracket bolt, the threaded hole goes all the way through the gearbox casing, leaving an exposed part of the thread. Corosion and what not damaged the thread on the bolts way out, and it doesn't want to go back in nicely at all. Not solved that one yet. Its 1 of 3 bolts holding the bracket for the rear mount to the box. I'll probably get away with it but i might pack it out with some washers as it does go in someway smoothly.
Worth drilling out and re-tapping using a helicoil set?
Treated myself to an electric impact wrench (DCF880) , 90quid well spent.
God yes, power tools (air/battery) make all these jobs soooo much quicker and more enjoyable. Always worth their weight in gold!

Well done getting through all this :D

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Civic (not integra!)

Post by Vtecmec » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Treated myself to an electric impact wrench (DCF880) , 90quid well spent.

God yes, power tools (air/battery) make all these jobs soooo much quicker and more enjoyable. Always worth their weight in gold!
Bloody hell guys, stop putting buying ideas in my head. :lol:

Return to “Civic”