Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold

Looking for something? Ask here
Jackson Bondy
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Jacksb4

Post by Jackson Bondy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 am

Hope you're all well.

The standard exhaust has rusted through so I figured it was a good excuse to upgrade the whole lot while I'm in there.

Struggling to find a manifold though, from what I've managed to find on the old US forums the Tri-Y and Vibrant are highly rated but I can't find the Vibrant anywhere and the taxes on an imported Tri-Y are pretty steep.

Anyone have one or know of any available in the UK?

Hoping to pair it with a high flow cat and either a custom or off the shelf catback, lots still do to before that's decided!

Cheers
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:27 am

FGK (Fujitsubo) and the Tri-Y style (there are a couple of manufacturers of that) headers are the most highly rated.

FGK will bolt straight on with no aggro, but since you can't use the OEM heatshields over the manifold (you can retain the divider between the alternator and manifold) most wrap the manifold with heat-wrap.

Tri-Y you will need to notch the sub-frame to get it to fit.

Note there are different length versions, depending on whether you have a JDM or UKDM spec car (cats are different length).

I do have a spare FGK header that I could part with. Where abouts are you?

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:27 am
FGK (Fujitsubo) and the Tri-Y (there are a couple of manufacturers of that) headers are the most highly rated.

FGK will bolt straight on with no aggro, but since you can't use the OEM heatshields over the manifold (you can retain the divider between the alternator and manifold) most wrap the manifold with heat-wrap.

Tri-Y you will need to notch the sub-frame to get it to fit.

Note there are different length versions, depending on whether you have a JDM or UKDM spec car (cats are different length).

I do have a spare FGK header that I could part with. Where abouts are you?
Thanks for the info! I'd not heard of the FGK - I've just done some brief scouring on the US forums and as you say it seems they are very highly rated.

Could you theoretically use spacers and longer bolts to fit the heatshield or is the clearance/width also an issue? I know this is the case with most if not all the aftermarket manifolds but I wasn't sure if the heatshield could be made to fit.
If not I'll have to teach myself to wrap!

Would prefer to not modify anything but if I end up going for the Tri-Y I have a spare I can cut the notch out of if needs be.

Mine's a UK A8, looking online I'm guessing they were originally designed for a 4G, I can't remember off the top of my head if there is a difference in exhausts between 4th and 5th gen.
Suddenly thinking it'd be nice to get a Legalis R with a high flow cat for a full system :D

I'm Hampshire based, down on the coast.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

nalla

Post by nalla » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:51 pm

I’ve had a Private Label manifold fitted about 6 years ago. Really nice and about £550 at the time. Worthwhile investment.

km666
PSN GamerTag: fargoneonone

Post by km666 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:48 pm

I've been pricing up a PLM manifold and the FGK, the site i've seen the FGK (rhdjapan) doesn't seem to show true shipping costs. I've priced up importing the PLM from the US and reckon it can done for about £482 all in, part and shipping are £394 with £88 duty + VAT based on the import code 8708922000.
Last edited by km666 on Wed May 05, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-KM666

Scott560

Post by Scott560 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:50 pm

Does the PLM bolt to the existing cat? There is no flexis section in the pictures so looks like it can't be a reliable drop in replacement without making up the rest of the exhaust from scratch?
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm

Jackson Bondy wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:16 pm
Could you theoretically use spacers and longer bolts to fit the heatshield or is the clearance/width also an issue? I know this is the case with most if not all the aftermarket manifolds but I wasn't sure if the heatshield could be made to fit.
I managed to get the OEM heatshield to fit with an aftermarket DC sports manifold. You might have to get inventive with brackets and minor manipulation of the shield. Being able to weld might help too.

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm

Ive used PLM tri-Y on both my 4th gens but replaced that with FGK fujitsubo.
I ran the plm's without cat and run the fgk with cat. The fgk is designed to fit the oem cat and the plm is not. So you can fit a decat pipe to the fgk if you want and swap it out for the oem cat come MOT time. Both offer power gains with plm giving the best results. The plm requires notching the front subframe and the fgk sits very close but doesnt normally need anything modified to fit. On both the manifolds you lose the oem heatshield and normal practice is to leave it like that or wrap them to cut down heat build up in the engine bay. The other thing to consider is the plm is slip jointed so might be best to tack weld it once in place and the fgk seems to go through a few mani to downpipe gaskets. Hope this info helps and if you go for the plm i have a 2.5" stainless mid section with spring bolt connection to the downpipe and slip joint to the backbox. There is no cat or back box and it is for 4th gen but might be worth looking at ;)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Jackson Bondy

Post by Jackson Bondy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:02 pm

km666 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:48 pm
I've been pricing up a PLM manifold and the FGK, the site i've seen the FGK (rhdjapan) doesn't seem to show true shipping costs. I've priced up importing the PLM from the US and reckon it can done for about £482 all in, part and shipping are £394 with £88 duty + VAT based on the import code 8708922000.
Did you go for this in the end?
Real life stuff has gotten in the way but I'm digging around again. I was considering going for a Fujistsobo manifold and Legalis R exhaust imported but the shipping costs are eye wateringly expensive.
'99 BB8 Motegi (H22A8)

km666
PSN GamerTag: fargoneonone

Post by km666 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:33 pm

Jackson Bondy wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:02 pm

Did you go for this in the end?
Real life stuff has gotten in the way but I'm digging around again. I was considering going for a Fujistsobo manifold and Legalis R exhaust imported but the shipping costs are eye wateringly expensive.

I've found them even cheaper, about £420 all in by the looks of things through the Ebay global shipping programme. I'll be pulling the trigger on one this coming payday so will update you with the final costs.
-KM666

Return to “Wanted”