Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

power mods

Looking for something? Ask here
Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

power mods

Post by Vtecmec » Tue May 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Yes. You will need and OBD1 ECU and OBD conversion harness + Hondata s300 as Ratty states above.

Drax

power mods

Post by Drax » Tue May 04, 2021 2:13 pm

non of the stock prelude ECU's take the hondata, hence those alternatives from civic's, integra's etc are listed.

most people will get hold of a stock map for their honda, e.g Prelude P13 or whatever era yours is, load it on via the Hondata and then map it from stock.

alternatives i know of are AEM (rare and very expensive) which is a standalone tunable ECU, then piggyback ECU's like chrome but the Hondata is generally the reliable tunable weapon of choice plus is easy to administer for tuners compared to others. i also run a Hondata v2 but on a P72, never had any issues.
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

power mods

Post by Vtecmec » Tue May 04, 2021 2:37 pm

Neptune is another one:

https://www.hamotorsports.com/collections/neptune

Works similar to Hondata.

Scott560
My Generation: 5G

power mods

Post by Scott560 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:01 pm

The search continues. P28 seems expensive in stock form second hand (at least 150 minimum) and doesn't have the circuitry to drive dual length inlet runner solenoid for H22 or incorporate the knock sensor, then requires the rom removing and headers soldering in,

P72 however should do these , but these are available in odb1 and odb2 form. I've taken a punt on a cheap-ish one without being able to confirm if its hondata chippable or not.

A quick browse at work into megasquirt left me unimpressed as to the state of the 'product' compared to what I saw several years ago. I'll carry on searching - there must be some reasonably priced open source hardware/software package out there. I'll keep digging...
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

power mods

Post by 4thgenphil » Thu May 06, 2021 2:39 am

Have you looked at emerald?
:thumbdown:

Brozilla

power mods

Post by Brozilla » Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 pm

Drax wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:13 pm
non of the stock prelude ECU's take the hondata, hence those alternatives from civic's, integra's etc are listed.

most people will get hold of a stock map for their honda, e.g Prelude P13 or whatever era yours is, load it on via the Hondata and then map it from stock.

alternatives i know of are AEM (rare and very expensive) which is a standalone tunable ECU, then piggyback ECU's like chrome but the Hondata is generally the reliable tunable weapon of choice plus is easy to administer for tuners compared to others. i also run a Hondata v2 but on a P72, never had any issues.
Stock maps are mostly available from chippable ECU's only, e.g. if an ECU isn't chippable it is very hard to extract the stock map from it, I personally have never seen a Prelude stock basemap. Rule of thumb is you take the basemap of ECU your Hondata/Demon/Ostrich is plugged into and then take it from there.

Are you sure Chrome is a piggyback? Maybe we do not think of the same product, but the Chrome I know of is a tuning software just like eCtune which you calibrate on the RTP board likeOstrich and then burn the result on a ROM which is then inserted in the same place where Hondata/Demon are.
Scott560 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 4:01 pm
The search continues. P28 seems expensive in stock form second hand (at least 150 minimum) and doesn't have the circuitry to drive dual length inlet runner solenoid for H22 or incorporate the knock sensor, then requires the rom removing and headers soldering in,

P72 however should do these , but these are available in odb1 and odb2 form. I've taken a punt on a cheap-ish one without being able to confirm if its hondata chippable or not.

A quick browse at work into megasquirt left me unimpressed as to the state of the 'product' compared to what I saw several years ago. I'll carry on searching - there must be some reasonably priced open source hardware/software package out there. I'll keep digging...
Not true for dual runner support, I use P28 with dual runners, no modifications are needed. You just have to choose from some of the unused otput pins and set it up in tuning software of your choosing. It also does not require any rom removing, it has an empty place to put the chip/demon/hondata, but you do have to add some components before that socket can be used. 10 minutes of work for an experienced person, I've done dozens of them.
P72 in obd2 form is not chippable, if you found one cheap than it's OBD2 and worthless :(
As for a knock sensor, it is just a small microphone with a frequency filter that will give output only when knock is detected. Thing is, it is very, very rudimental on OBD1 ECU's and if you have any modifications that change the sound of your engine it will give false positives and make more harm than good. P72s have it because it is an ECU from Integra which require RON 100 octane fuel and it could actually damage itself if driven hard with lower octane fuel.
Vtecmec wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:37 pm
Neptune is another one:

https://www.hamotorsports.com/collections/neptune

Works similar to Hondata.
I use Neptune RTP, it surpassed Hondata in terms of options quite a while ago:
For example it has onboard logging (no need to have your laptop connected, just set a trigger like 100% TPS and it will log that pull)
Native wideband support for closed loop
You can tune via bluetooth too, no cable needed
Support is stellar, although sometimes condescending :)

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

power mods

Post by RattyMcClelland » Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm

Megasquirt. :lol: giggidy.

Scott560

power mods

Post by Scott560 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:06 pm

Well the gamble paid off, it is an ODB1 p72 ECU Square shape (JDM) with an unpopulated location on the board for a 28pin DIP (package) where the headers need to go. Knock detection daughter board might get in the way but I'm sure that's easy to overcome.

So just to decide between hondata s300 or neptune (or any others?). Neptune seems a touch cheaper at first glance.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

Brozilla

power mods

Post by Brozilla » Mon May 10, 2021 10:11 am

If using only Neptune/Hondata, I would say that Neptune is a more finished product. However, If you plan to use hardware addons like traction control, I am not aware of such an option for Neptune.
If you are interested in Neptune, I can get you a discount or provide a used option here from Europe as I know one of the devs stationed in Hungary.
used option would be 240GBP + shipping from Hungary.
new one would be 300GBP from USA, shipping included.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

power mods

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm

Get Hondata.
Not many tune with Neptune in the UK. Some do but hard to find.

Return to “Wanted”