Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Off Side REAR Track Rod End (5th Gen)

Chassis/Brakes/Steering/Wheels discussion
Merlin
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

Off Side REAR Track Rod End

Post by Merlin » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:24 am

Apparently track rod ends from the Vectra fit the 5G Prelude, I assume this info is for 4WS cars.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5146&hilit=Vectra#p87392
SPYDOR wrote:
Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:00 pm
I successfully fitted the Vectra B track tod ends to the the rear of my 5th gen Prelude last week.

Vauxhall Vectra B Track Rod End

- Comparison -
The internal and external thread diameter and pitch is identical. The dimensions of the Vectra B track rod end are slightly different from the Prelude one, being a little taller and 5mm shorter to the centre of the joint, although I didn't notice if they screw in any further on the inner track rods. The other main difference is the Honda track rod end has holes drilled in the external thread for the cotter pin to go through, whereas the Vectra B unit uses a Nylock nut instead. I have taken measurements and side by side pictures I will post when I get around to it.

Overall they fit very well, have caused me no problems and being just under £5 each makes the Honda track rod ends about 18 times the price in the UK!?! :o :o

Again massive thanks and rep to @Vtecmec for saving me more than £150 with this tip! 8-)
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:39 am

some useful info in that discussion - shall i do a "copy topic" and put it in the Guides / How to's / Tech Section?
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:22 pm

Merlin wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:24 am
Apparently track rod ends from the Vectra fit the 5G Prelude, I assume this info is for 4WS cars.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5146&hilit=Vectra#p87392
I went through this ordeal myself, and these track rod ends that were mentioned were unsuitable for my 5th gen 4WS prelude

"3. The Opel Vectra B tie rod ends were UNSUITABLE in my case. I guess the taper angle really is unsuitable, since it caused noticeable instability in my car - the rear wheels fishtailed over bumps. I went to a local shop that refurbished my original Honda tie rods - new ball, seat, rubber boot, taper end etc.. It's basically brand spanking new and it cost me 30 quid so I recommend doing that instead of buying some knock off tie rod end. FYI, the tie rod end that proved unsuitable is STARK SKTE-0280033 (https://www.autodoc.co.uk/stark/7604711)"

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:26 pm

@pidda1
My recommendation would be to get yours refurbished, or have some new ones made in some sort of machine shop that would specialize in suspension parts.

If all else fails, I can offer my help - the shop that did mine refurbished them to mint condition (new joint/ball/seat, rubber, nut etc. etc.), and they can even make brand spanking new ones. Although.. this option would include shipping your old ends to me in Slovenia, EU so I can take them to the shop.. there's some extra hassle regarding that.

Drax
My Generation: 4G

Post by Drax » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 pm

i could ask these guys who sell & manufacture them if they have anything that would match, or even if they could copy & make a good set from someone;
https://www.amsteer.co.uk/Honda%20Car%2 ... 0Rod%20End
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Max

Post by Max » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:32 pm

It needs a female end to screw onto the rack though.

Another idea i found when searching for '53550-SS0-J61 alternative' was if you can find a tie rod end with the same ball joint taper and a similar/smaller female thread you could cut a new thread on the inner tie rod to suit and use that. Would take a ton a searching for specs but could work, doesn't seem worth the effort though when the option of rebuilding the originals is available.

Edit: Sorry i seem to be 5 responses too slow...

pidda1

Post by pidda1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:49 am

Some fantastic information here chaps thank you very much. I'm thinking if I can get one off of a prelude that some one is breaking and then look at the possibility of refurbishing them. It's my daily so I'd struggle to have it off the road for an extended period of time...

I'll keep posting updates though, for anybody else with this issue. :thumbup:

pidda1

Post by pidda1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:53 am

Anzezaf, That's an awesome offer, I'll see if I could get one off of one that is being scrapped and give you a shout. Just out of interest though, how much do you reckon they'd cost for them to make some new one's?

Might be an opportunity to plug a gap in the market and maybe make a few quid in the process?

Anzezaf

Post by Anzezaf » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Yeah, I'll give em a ring in the following days and enquire about an estimate :wave:

pidda1

Post by pidda1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:53 pm

Anzezaf, Super, much appreciated. :thumbup:

Return to “Chassis / Brakes / Steering / Wheels”