Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

4th Gen Parts needed for MOT

Looking for something? Ask here
wapit247
My Generation: 4G

Post by wapit247 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:22 am

Trying to get my Lude back on the road after a long time, however I now have a list of issues from the MOT:
Offside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour (4.4.3 (a))
Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (b) (ii))
Offside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (b) (ii))
Nearside Front Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))
Nearside Front Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Offside Front Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))

So it seems I am in need of some replacements parts:
Any of you got some Stock shocks/springs gathering dust Or can recommend where to source aftermarket replacements? Tein?
Front lower bumper indicator?
I should be able to get a new wiper blades :)
Constant velocity boot? where to source one?
Finger crossed I can unstick the rear brakes.
Silver 1996 JDM Vtec without sunroof
Red 1994 UK Vtec

ek9sid
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by ek9sid » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:18 am

The cv boot you should be able to get from ebay or somewhere similar.
Your indicator issue...might get away with a coloured bulb?
Rear brakes I would hazard a guess at the slider pins being seized.
And suspension wise...if you don't have any luck ob here, might be worth contacting some breakers on ebay again? I've seen a couple on there...items 194445452395 and 194445454904

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:14 pm

wapit247 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:22 am
Trying to get my Lude back on the road after a long time, however I now have a list of issues from the MOT:
Offside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour (4.4.3 (a))
I'm assuming this is a JDM 4th gen with clear lenses (UKDM has orange lenses so can't really get the wrong colour!). That definitely just sounds like a bulb issue - they're coloured orange and over time, the tint on the bulb fades/flakes off.
Nearside Front Drive shaft joint constant velocity boot split or insecure, no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (6.1.7 (g) (ii))
Inner or outer?
You can get these easily enough from most places - ebay, rockauto or any decent autoparts store and they can be changed without replacing the driveshaft - though you'll need to take the drive shaft out the car to do it.
These days most garages are lazy and can't be bothered splitting driveshafts down to swap components, they just want to swap driveshafts complete, unfortunately...
Nearside Front Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Offside Front Coil spring fractured or broken (5.3.1 (b) (i))
Ouch, that's really unusual. The OEM suspension is good and lasts. Has yours been lowered on after market springs or complete coil over units? Would need to know to be able to recommend suitable replacements.
Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (1.2.1 (b) (i))
They will just need properly stripping down, cleaning (properly check/strip/clean/lube the slide pins - you probably have one stuck) AND strip/clean the clevis pin from the handbrake cable where it joins the caliper arm (the latter is normally the cause of imbalance problems).
Then adjust/re-set the handbrake properly, as per the service manual.
You might need to adjust it and then re-adjust after a few miles as the pads re-bed in properly.

Return to “Wanted”