Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Blue Beauty from Malaysia

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
simonc
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

New Steering rack and a whole lot more...

Post by simonc » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:44 am

Right, first up was to fix the wipers. Jason managed to get a hold of a new old stock linkage which was the most urgent job that needed fixing.
Here's a shot of the broken one.
I'm chuffed the interior of the scuttle was still pretty spotless
Great news on the NOS linkage.

Right, so that's the wiper problem put to bed. Brilliant. However, the reason I'd booked my car in was that we'd gotten hold of a second hand steering rack (2WS), as I'd long complained that my steering was too heavy. We'd been putting it off and putting it off until I think I nagged Jason so hard he relented. :D

Here's the manky old rack. Apparently all the seals were knackered at it's been leaking fluid from any orifice you care to mention. Off to t'scrapper with you, sunshine.
Sorry, I don't have shot of the new one we fitted but Jason took a shot of it, in situ, showing the redundant blue plug.

Right, another job out of the way. The steering is absolutely magnificent. No more Popeye-esque manhandling the beast in a parking bay. Fantastic and I'm really thrilled. I do have a video of Jason moving the wheel, one finger, natch, so I'll put that up as soon as I figure out how to. I'm so chuffed with the steering now, I tell you, it's like night and day compared to how it was. :D

Next was an irritating oil leak/weep which has been bugging me for ages. After a bit of detective work, Jason and his crew nailed it.
Here's the lads hunting for the source.
The smoking gun.
Seals very hard and generally kaput.
Jason diagnosed that the timing belts were not 100% so we went ahead and ordered a whole stack of goodies
New cam belt tensioner
More goodies. Late Christmas presents for the car.
I think this shows the new belts in place as they reassemble the beast.
A quick wash and brush up.
And the bill for all Jason's hard work.

I'm thrilled with how the car handles and feels. The acceleration is so much better, especially at lower speeds. The engine feels so much more responsive to throttle inputs. All in all, I'm extremely happy with all the bits that have been done, and the way she responds is a revelation. :D
Thanks for looking.
'Mr Bridger, will drive them, into the sea...'

simonc
Supporter 2016

Re: Blue Beauty from Malaysia

Post by simonc » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 am

And even though this is the most dull photo ever taken, it shows that there are no oil leaks from where the car's been sitting. Fabulous.
:D

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 am

Wow amazing work on the lude some genuine hard work and effort into this like...also I done the good old google currency changer :o that's value for money.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:12 am

Hi sol-lude, thanks buddy, I appreciate what you've said. However, the graft is all from Jason and his guys. I'm just the nagger-in-chief :lol: that keeps throwing suggestions his way to keep the Prelude in tip-top condition.
I put up that bill, as it would be interesting to hear how much that little lot would've cost me back in Blighty. I bet you it wouldn't have been that cheap. ;)

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:34 am

Elimination of oil leaks always feels amazing! Good work sir, she's looking stunning.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 am

indigolemon wrote:Elimination of oil leaks always feels amazing! Good work sir, she's looking stunning.
Thank you and you're absolutely right, Graham. I tell you, all the things we've fixed have made an absolute world of difference to it. I'm loving it to bits right now. :D

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:32 am

simonc wrote:Hi @sol-lude, thanks buddy, I appreciate what you've said. However, the graft is all from Jason and his guys. I'm just the nagger-in-chief :lol: that keeps throwing suggestions his way to keep the Prelude in tip-top condition.
I put up that bill, as it would be interesting to hear how much that little lot would've cost me back in Blighty. I bet you it wouldn't have been that cheap. ;)
Yeah I think labour alone would blow this out the water. I have priced up an average engine swap as im doing it on a Bedford Bambi the now for a family member and she has asked how much for doing the work. Average cost of that on labour in a garage is between £400-600 excluding the cost of the engine. So yeah for what Jason and his troop have done is very very impressive.

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 am

I know this is in line for 'Least Interesting Photo of the Year', yet the very dullness of it brings a smile to my face. The last shot of the dry driveway was taken in April and this one was taken last weekend. As you can see, still dry as a bone. Good old Jason did a fabulous job. :D

It's funny, isn't it? It's the little things in life that seem to bring so much joy. ;)

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:34 pm

Do you polish the paviours with the same stuff you use on your car?
International Pensioner of Mystery

simonc
Supporter 2016

Post by simonc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:35 am

Sailor wrote:Do you polish the paviours with the same stuff you use on your car?
Now, that's an idea. :lol:

Return to “Lude Profiles”