Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Howzit's 5th Gen SiR

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
Howzit37
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: Howzit37

Howzit's 5th Gen SiR

Post by Howzit37 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:02 am

Howdy all,

I joined the forum a few years ago after I bought myself a 2.2 5th Gen.

I ended up spending quite a lot of money on the car, mainly tackling rust issues as well as buying few subtle modifications for it.

I ended up well and truly bitten by the modifying bug. The love for the car however wasn't long lived as the rust returned with a vengeance. I kind of lost the enthusiasm with it all and decided that a TT was a good idea as I had been out in one and absolutely loved the drive :oops:

I only had it for about 6 months before I decided that I wanted another Honda. A CRX was next on the list as a good friend of mine had one when I was 18 and I've loved them ever since. I've still got it, but it is a bit of a show pony, so I haven't used it much over the winter, mainly because it was having a lot of work done.

Before I got rid of the TT, I ended up buying my Prelude back and using it as a daily. Apart from servicing, I didn't spend anything else on the Prelude whatsoever. The rust has however been doing my head in so I've kind of half heartedly been on the lookout for another daily, so when I saw this one for sale on the forum, I thought it looked too good to pass up on.

I picked it up last night and got to work cleaning this afternoon after work, here are a few photos...

These were taken after I washed and clayed the car, the sun was really low in the sky so the lighting isn't great but I'll be sure to get some more when I get a chance. Was going to make a start on the interior as well today but ran out of time.

Look at the state of the used clay bar on the right compared to new on the left :shock:

The car has been somewhat neglected, although the arches were replaced a couple of years ago, there is some bubbling coming through already. It's only very minor at the moment, but will need addressing sooner rather than later to stop the bloody stuff spreading.

The front wings have got a fair amount of rust due to scrapes that have gone straight through the paint. Also, oddly enough the roof and the tailgate have both got random spots of rust coming through. Generally the bodywork itself is pretty tatty, I think every single panel has scratches of marks of some sort :(

Overall the car needs some TLC, but I've got a whole donor car worth of parts to scavenge from before I send it to the scrappy, so I've got enough to make a start with putting a few things right.

So far the bits that need addressing are as follows:

Shoddy wiring for the rear fog light.
Off side rear top mount is knackered and is making a racket over the slightest little bump.
Bits of interior trim need fixing or replacing as they are looking a bit tired.
The oil level is well over the maximum limit so needs draining.

Mainly, the brake light keeps coming on when I push the brake about half way down. It stayed on this morning for a few minutes before going off again, but this afternoon it went out only a few seconds after coming on every time I used the brakes.

I've had a search and has brought up a couple of little things to try, but I'm probably not going to get a chance now until after the weekend.

Over the course of the next few weeks I plan on stripping the old Prelude of the good bits and turning the new one in to something really nice.

Here is what the old one currently looks like (bad phone photo):

Anyway, apologies for the essay but thanks for reading.

Justin

Senninha
My Generation: 4G

Re: Howzit's 5th Gen SiR

Post by Senninha » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:35 am

Great and interesting post Justin.

I've had my 4th gen for 10 years (it feels apart of me now!) and am agonising whether to keep it or not and like yourself previously, I'm considering a TT.

However, other posts on the site suggest anyone who has sold their Lude has regretted it, hence I can fully understand you buying yours back.

The clayed car looks good and with the further mods you've planned, I'm sure it will be A1.

Keep the posts coming.

David

cebul
Supporter 2015

Post by cebul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:10 pm

I was quite interesting of that car when I was for sale and according to sellers description, apart of some scratches on panels car supous to be in very good condition, So I'm a bit soprised by the issues you mentioned. But it sound like it can be sorted easy so you should be fine.

BTW get the original Fog lights back on the car, car look much better with them on.
ludes are ment to be driven, not wanking around on a stand like a Civic.

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:50 pm

there is nothing better than having a donor car at the ready :)
+rep for not buying a TT ;)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

JEBB4
Supporter 2014

Post by JEBB4 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Good buy sir, I was keen on this car when I saw it for sale and im surprised it didn't sell sooner!

I look forward to seeing what you do to her and im only a little jealous :lol:
Jamie P 2013 wrote:i like tits :D
My BB6 build
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=54187

My BB2 build (yang)(WRITTEN OFF AND SOLD)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=18866

My BB4 build (yin) (SOLD TO DRAX)
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12087&hilit=JEBB4+ ... ty#p203321

Howzit37
Supporter 2015

Post by Howzit37 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Senninha wrote:Great and interesting post Justin.

I've had my 4th gen for 10 years (it feels apart of me now!) and am agonising whether to keep it or not and like yourself previously, I'm considering a TT.

However, other posts on the site suggest anyone who has sold their Lude has regretted it, hence I can fully understand you buying yours back.

The clayed car looks good and with the further mods you've planned, I'm sure it will be A1.

Keep the posts coming.

David
If you can get over the stigma that driving a TT has attached to it, then I would say they are well worth the money. Great fun to drive and sufficient power when you need it. Plus, if you throw about a grand at it, you can have the standard 225 bhp nearer the 300 mark which is a lot of bang for your buck.
cebul wrote:I was quite interesting of that car when I was for sale and according to sellers description, apart of some scratches on panels car supous to be in very good condition, So I'm a bit soprised by the issues you mentioned. But it sound like it can be sorted easy so you should be fine.

BTW get the original Fog lights back on the car, car look much better with them on.
The bodywork is not in great shape to be honest, the arches are pretty solid having been repaired only a couple of years ago but that won't last with the weather the way it is by the seaside. There is the slightest little bit of bubbling coming through. In hindsight I should have perhaps looked at the car in the day light.

The fog lights will be going in once I have paid the bodywork some attention.
vanzep wrote:there is nothing better than having a donor car at the ready :)
+rep for not buying a TT ;)
Haha, thanks mate. The donor starts donating this Friday after work.
JEBB4 wrote:Good buy sir, I was keen on this car when I saw it for sale and im surprised it didn't sell sooner!

I look forward to seeing what you do to her and im only a little jealous :lol:
Thanks mate, I'm hoping the transformation doesn't take too long with this one as I've got a lot of parts already.

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Post by jjmartin349571 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 pm

I think I saw you the other day mate, I was darting up New Road in the scooby (I think :? ) and you were heading the opposite towards the mini roundabout :)

How's the CR-X coming along? 8-)

Howzit37
Supporter 2015

Post by Howzit37 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:51 pm

Oddly enough, there seem to be a lot of Scooby's around the industrial estate at the moment, so may well have seen you but not recognised you...probably because you have a different car for every day of the week :lol:

CRX is done for now, bodywork anyway. Got a couple of little niggly bits I need sorting...got a bit of an oil leak under the bonnet somewhere, ignition switch has packed up as well but I've got a replacement that needs to go in but apart from that I'm just waiting for the weather to turn so I can start enjoying it.

Very happy with it so far, here are a few I took after a clean and clay:

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Post by jjmartin349571 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:01 pm

I'm usually pretty zoned out when I'm driving to and from work so I'm surprised I spotted you to be fair :lol:

The CR-X looks epic 8-) So full of win that.

I'll keep an eye out for the latest Prelude when I'm passing, it looks like a good base to be working from. I'll try not to look to much though or else I'll probably end up having to find myself a 5th gen too :lol:

Howzit37
Supporter 2015

Post by Howzit37 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:04 pm

jjmartin349571 wrote:I'm usually pretty zoned out when I'm driving to and from work so I'm surprised I spotted you to be fair :lol:

The CR-X looks epic 8-) So full of win that.

I'll keep an eye out for the latest Prelude when I'm passing, it looks like a good base to be working from. I'll try not to look to much though or else I'll probably end up having to find myself a 5th gen too :lol:
Thanks mate, only a matter of time I suppose before the 5th Gen bug bites you :D

Return to “Lude Profiles”