Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

First Gen. - Second life

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
Pot_147
My Generation: 1G

Re: First Gen. - Second life

Post by Pot_147 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi all,

Some more pics, this time three older ones taken by the previous owner not too long before I bought it. Looked good, but there were a few this and that visible upon first sight and after the trim came off an out, more were revealed.
So, here it is (close to page bottom):
http://nepitelet.hu/autok/honda/prelude ... ava_valsz/

Nandi

Pot_147

Post by Pot_147 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Posted some new pics on the page I made the other day. I will just keep adding more pics as they come along and try to link one in just to see if it works. The most interesting ones I will feature here, the rest can remain in the soup...

Nandi

ps.: It works.

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:59 pm

What's the relay for man? I assume you would just need one with the same function to splice in?
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Pot_147

Post by Pot_147 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:01 am

indigolemon wrote:What's the relay for man? I assume you would just need one with the same function to splice in?
I would sound like a complete noob if I said I don't know. But I haven't investigated it yet, so I don't know. :)
I will try to find an identical one first and if I can't find one, I'll look for an alternative.

Do you also find Hayne's manuals utterly useless? I got the one for the early models, theoretically it covers everything from '79-'89, practically - not a lot.

Nandi

Pot_147

Post by Pot_147 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:00 am

026000 3550 Voltage regulator. Still available.

N./

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 am

Ah cool - that's a relief then :D
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Pot_147

Post by Pot_147 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:04 am

indigolemon wrote:Ah cool - that's a relief then :D
...and a new one is less than six quid on wee-bay. Relief No.2.

N./

Pot_147

Post by Pot_147 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 pm

The super-relief came today in the shape of the other voltage regulator I removed from the donor car. One that has been sitting outside for five years in our garden and spent another few years beforehand in the previous owner's garden. I removed the cover of the regulator and found everything perfectly intact, almost perfectly spotless inside. I was thrilled. Until...
I took all the bits of plastic and rubber trim this afternoon and soaked them in a tub of water, gave them a good scrub and they look like crap. There are two, originally grey plastic pockets/boxes on either sides of the rear seats, I don't know what the previous owners stored in them, but man... they are nasty. I applied tremendous amounts of crubbing powder along with serious efforts from the upper arm with zero results.
The chrome on all the side and front trims have faded, are missing in some parts, the rubber bits have discolourations from black into beige at various spots, the three-piece plastic side-bumpers have disintegrated, deformed, the metal mounting point on one side is so rusty that the moulded plastic around it ripped open. The to-do-list is almost endless and I am in serious doubt that the 3-4 weeks I have available for the car will be sufficient. I still have the engine to lift, fix the bottom part of the engine bay, change all 4 struts, replace the rear wheel bearings, inspect and upon need change all the brakes, mend the automatic antenna (the bloody body shop guys ripped the cable from the motor when they removed the dashboard.
At one point today I was contemplating the idea to swap the black inside trim of the grey car for the beige inside of this one, but I don't like the idea all that much. I'll have a closer look tomorrow, but I am unsure. The black trim and dash simply don't suit the red car at all.

I shot a few pics today but they are still on my phone, will shoot some more tomorrow that will actually show what the car looks like and post them all then.

Nandi

Pot_147

Post by Pot_147 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:13 pm

As promised last night, here are fifty-odd more pics of the progress. Unfortunately I have very important beer-drinking and snooker-watching to do right now with the missus so I can't get into details just now, although I would love to. The pics speak for themselves though, the careful eye can work out that every single image depicts not only a part of the car or a stage of the process but also a problem that needs to be solved. Things like the immense amount of something very aluminium-oxide looking, creamy stuff inside the intake manifold, just under the carb, or the missing rubber from around the sunroof (they seem to have simply siliconed it in place by the looks of it), the rust on the front-end of the car underneath and behind the bumper and the lip, the "factory-standard" scratches and a chip-off in the paintjob (there must be more of them under the layer of oil and dust parts of the chassis is covered in), two srews holding the intake manifold not letting go.
I had a closer look inside the donor car today to actually realise that the interior was a twinning of the black and the beige interior, the latter under black paint and/or gunk. So the swap option from yesterday is dead.
Today I got as far as only having the CV joints and the exhaust left to disconnect before the engine can be lifted. The CV's need serious jacks, which I do not have. I don't know what the exhaust screws will take to remove. Something nuclear the least. (She's still in the kitchen, beer's still in the fridge, Hawkins in the lead with Selby struggling sorely.)

So I ask: what sort of hell am I putting myself through with this project?

Updated pics still here:
http://www.ro-bolt.info/honda/prelude_1.html

Nandi

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:13 pm

Sorry man, just accidentally negative repped you while scrolling on my tablet :oops: Will sort it tomorrow

Return to “Lude Profiles”