Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by wurlycorner » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:07 pm

tom023 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:43 am
Also its apparently very important to torque the sensor down to exact specification.
They're very easy to damage by over tightening, yes.

CARRisma
My Generation: 5G

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by CARRisma » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:29 pm

In the past I've had troubles with a cheap after market knock sensor I bought through Amazon. Didn't work. I had to buy an original Honda item (at great expense) to get it to work.
2000 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTi (H22A8 / BB8).

tom023
Supporter 2016

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by tom023 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:09 pm

CARRisma wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:29 pm
In the past I've had troubles with a cheap after market knock sensor I bought through Amazon. Didn't work. I had to buy an original Honda item (at great expense) to get it to work.
This is the assumption that I am coming to now. It's taken me so long because I fitted 2 brand new aftermarket sensors, and they are supposedly not Chinese knock-offs but decent spares brand. First I want to remove the dodgy broken 4gen sensor I fitted, refit the new aftermarket one and torque it to spec, something I haven't been able to do yet as I didn't have a socket the correct size to be able to get a torque wrench on the KS. If that does not work, looks like I'll be shelling out for an oem one and hoping I'm not throwing 130€ away :scaredtoss:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by wurlycorner » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 pm

Not sure if this is a genuine part or a deceptive listing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Number- ... 0281.m3567

tom023
Supporter 2016

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by tom023 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:54 pm

wurlycorner wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 pm
Not sure if this is a genuine part or a deceptive listing...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Number- ... 0281.m3567
Thanks for the link @wurlycorner I saw your comment while in class and then forgot to come back and reply.

I got around to calling my local Honda dealer and they said that the knock sensor would cost 250€ and would not be in stock until mid may! :shock:
I found a site called Amayama which supplies JDM OEM parts from Japan and a guy I know said he has used it before with no problems. I can pick one up from them for 105€ + shipping but then I'll probs get stung on customs taxes. Even so it'll be way cheaper than my local dealer.

tom023
Supporter 2016

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by tom023 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:35 pm

I finally got around to fitting these small interior bits aswell.
Norks custom dead pedal footrest:

Blox 490gr gear knob and Tegiwa red stitch gear/shift boot:
Sorry for the shoddy night time pic but I wanted to show you all how it looked fitted and ran out in my socks to snap a photo now :lol:
The knob is surprisingly heavy and I am very happy with it. I need to get around to painting the interior wood finish now.

tom023
Supporter 2016

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by tom023 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:00 pm

I have just realised that I never updated this thread regarding the knock sensor fault. To keep it short and sweet, I picked a genuine OEM KS up from Htune and when it came around to changing the oil and filter after the engine rebuild, I changed the sensor at the same time. The car runs perfectly with no KS error coming up. It just goes to show that with some parts you really do have to buy original Honda, no matter how "reputable" the aftermarket brand supposedly is.

I recommend changing the KS sensor with the oil filter off as it gives you some much needed extra space. Be very careful with brittle multiplugs in the surrounding area and make sure that the sensor is tightened to spec (aprox. 30Nm IIRC).

Thankyou to everyone on here who lent a hand giving advice.

NafemanNathan
LotM Winner
My Generation: 0G

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by NafemanNathan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:06 pm

That's great news and great tip! :thumbup:

tom023
Supporter 2016

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by tom023 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 pm

Happy new year to all!
It is about time I revived this thread as much has gone on since a year and a half ago. The Preludes full restoration has continued with body work and paint (finally!). The whole process has been delayed on and off due to work and covid but the car is finally back on the road again. Here are some catch up images.

Pulling the engine out again! Getting prepared for paint, stripping the whole car.

Ready for paint. Nearly a rolling shell. Motegi body kit and JDM rear bumper fitted. Parts sourced from very helpful LudeGen members a few years back (sorry I can't remember your names but cheers!)

In paint. Done at a local bodyshop. I chose Supersonic blue pearl in the end. I've always liked the colour. I've seen too many 'ludes repainted electric blue pearl and I prefer the darker purple shade of ssbp. The fact that it was an OEM year appropriate Honda colour was a big plus also.

After collecting the car from the bodyshop.

Laying sound deadening during the rebuild. The boot, under the rear seats and front floor pan have been done. Inner doors and inner skin of the rear quarters also had some fitted.

Fitting rear windows.

Remember that unsolvable oil leak that I had..? The one supposedly solved the last time the engine was out? haha Well, we finally found it. The cam shaft seals that were fitted when I bought the car were weeping. The oil was getting behind the inner cambelt cover and travelling down the side of the engine and inside the wiring harness. The seals have been changed for OEM replacements and so far so good.

Good example of the colour in the shade.

Up and running.

The car still needs to go back to the bodyshop for some finishing touches. I also need a small plate and number plate surround for the front.

tom023
Supporter 2016

Toms 1999 VTi 4WS LHD

Post by tom023 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:57 pm

The engine bay cleaned up nicely.

Return to “Lude Profiles”