Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Weekend Toy / Show Car

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
uberNoobZA
My Generation: 4G

Re: Weekend Toy / Show Car

Post by uberNoobZA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 am

Got new headunit installed

Much tidier dash, as there is no separate traffic antenna (it uses car's aerial, or online functionality if phone connected) - only a small GPS receiver (the one on the left on the dash)

Yay, I can get traffic info. Quite an achievement, seeing as the radio aerial is lying loose in the boot, as there's currently no hole in the body to mount it.

Only issue, which I found today, after driving her the first time since installing new head unit, is that I need to connect the vehicle speed signal wire to the head unit, for navigation software to work properly - without it connected, it runs in 'hybrid mode' and is not as accurate at judging speed and location (location lags a little behind when driving, especially when making corners or going round roundabouts). This means taking teh dash apart (sigh) and finding the input to the instrument panel for the VSS

4thgenphil
Supporter 2016

Post by 4thgenphil » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Why don't you pick up the signal from the ecu? Is it a jdm ecu with tcs if so that's a 4 plug,
:thumbdown:

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:55 pm

4thgenphil wrote:Why don't you pick up the signal from the ecu? Is it a jdm ecu with tcs if so that's a 4 plug,
I probably will. Took dash apart and was confused, as wiring loom is JDM wiring loom. How can I tell from ECU if it's UKDM or JDM ?

Gayno
Lord Gayness

Post by Gayno » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:36 pm

uberNoobZA wrote:
4thgenphil wrote:Why don't you pick up the signal from the ecu? Is it a jdm ecu with tcs if so that's a 4 plug,
I probably will. Took dash apart and was confused, as wiring loom is JDM wiring loom. How can I tell from ECU if it's UKDM or JDM ?
I believe it is the JDM ECU to match the engine, confused

Confused

Post by Confused » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:55 pm

99% of wiring is JDM, including ECUs all from the donor vehicle :)

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:22 am

The instrument panel seemed to be missing 2 pieces behind the plastic cover, as shown below, so I decided I'd replace the missing parts with parts form the track Prelude
Image Image

When I got the instrument panels removed, I realized that there wasn't actually anything missing from the instrument panel. It's the backing of the instrument panel cover that's been removed (image on left is what's currently in car, and image on right is cover from track prelude)
Image Image

Looks much neater with the backing in place. I also fitted the clock controls back, so I can set the clock :D
Image Image Image

While getting dash tidied, I also replaced the TCS switch with a better looking one
Image Image

And lastly, I fitted the 'Lexus Style' tail lights I bought a while back for the track Prelude, but decided not to fit as they didn't go well with the colour of the car. I'm of two minds though about whether they look ok on the white car.

Got a bead on a black versions of the taillights shown above, which I think may look better, especially as they'll match the style of the headlights.

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 am

great work. Not a fan of the lights personally just don't think they look great in general nothing against the car.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:48 am

Confused wrote:I'll be monitoring this thread closely
:hurr:
:bat:

:lol:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 am

uberNoobZA wrote:so I don't have to have phone plugged in for navigation (which means I can't play files form USB when navigating)
I solve that by using Waze connected via bluetooth to head unit. Can stream music happily from the phone while also running waze on top and getting voice instructions :)

Loving seeing how much you're doing to the car though and that you're getting it all set up how you like it - great work.

Confused

Post by Confused » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:08 am

The backing of the instrument panel was removed because at one point I had a CarPC with 2x 7" screens in the car - one where the stereo was, one directly above it behind that panel, between the speed/revs and the rest of the lights, so I shifted the fuel/temp gauges etc over to the left. By the time I'd ripped it all out, I didn't have any spares to put it back together :D

I wonder what Gayno did with the black rear lights I made with LEDs in them, did he sell them on or are they tucked away in his garage/loft somewhere?

Return to “Lude Profiles”