Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Weekend Toy / Show Car

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
Scott560
My Generation: 5G

Post by Scott560 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:25 am

what was wrong with the android headunit in the end? I was hoping youd say it was all you hoped and dreamed for - then i could buy one lol.

If you need any spare 5th gen wheels, i have a set of 4 standard 5studs with road legal tyres (decent tread left) that i need to get rid of that you are welcome to have.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

uberNoobZA
My Generation: 4G

Re: Weekend Toy / Show Car

Post by uberNoobZA » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:53 am

Confused wrote:I'm glad my old car seems to have gone to a loving home, and is getting cared for already! I was very worried when Gayno put it up for sale that it would end up going to someone who will just abuse it or strip it for parts!

Nice to see its original number plate on it again, too! ;)

I was the one who cut down the gear lever, sorry - it made it feel so much nicer when I fitted the short-shift adapter! It really became a flick-able gear lever then, especially with the Momo knob that was on it (which was a bit taller than other knobs, hence cutting the shaft down like I did!)

I'll be monitoring this thread closely - this was one of the best cars I've ever owned, and still miss it.
If anything, I'd strip down my track 4G for parts for this 4G :D

I will admit, the gear lever height is quite nice. With the OEM Prelude gear knob, it sits at a nice height, and the leather gaitor moves nicely without stretching / getting squashed. SUCH a pleasure to drive this car. I took it down to Portland this weekend, and drove it around there, before coming back this morning. She performed perfectly, and as long as I stay out of VTEC, she's not as thirsty as you'd think. However.... staying out of VTEC.... hmmmm... The way she sounds, it's difficult to resist the temptation

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 am

So, while down in Portland, I did some work on the car. I put some gas bonnet lifters on, but they didn't fit nicely and made the bonnet lift on the side when closed, and also rubbed the paint on the bonnet and body, so took them off.

I then installed one of the 2 dashcams I purchased for her. The one I would have preferred to isntall was a very sutble one which was painted white, so would have been pretty much unnoticeable. However, the only way I could mount it 'easily' meant the image was upside down, and the camera and head unit had no way of flipping it.

I therefore went to the trusty 'Esky' version that I've used on three of my own cars, as well as 2 friends. Picture quality is surprosongly good, colours and night vision are better than most other reversing cameras I've use, but most importantly, you can change the image rotation, add / remove guide lines as well as switch between NTSC / PAL - all on the camera itself, using the little button below, which sits between the camera and the display you use. This is handy, as I am also mounting this camera upside down

Fitting this camera was dead easy. I mounted it on the underneath of the top of the JDM number plate trim

The cable was then fed into the boot, through the space left by the removal of the boot lock by a previous owner, along with a rubber grommet help stop water ingress (I'll stop this up properly with some silicone sealant in due course as well)
Image Image

The camera is a little more noticeable because it's black, but I don't think it's too bad (see last picture (car wash one) to get a better view of camera)

As I'd already connected the camera feed and reversing power cable to the head unit, everything worked great. The guide lines you see are actually guide lines I have set with the head unit itself (this is after I used the control button on the camera to flip the image vertically and removed camera guide lines) - this allows me to set the desired 'safe' zone as it suits me

While looking through my toolbox, I found some upholstery clips I bought a long time ago for the track prelude (when it still had upholstery in the boot), and used them to slip the upholstery in the boot in place properly, as most of the clips were missing

And I gave her a wash as well :D

mart609
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: mart609
PSN GamerTag: mart609

Post by mart609 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:50 am

Glad to see this cars gone to another good home.
I've been following it since confused owned it back in the PUK days.
Nice work so far 8-)

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 am

Been busy in the dash again :D The way I spliced in the power for the dashcams, when I switched off the USB charging ports next to the glovebox, it also turned off the dashcams (DOH), so I took the dash apart again and redid the wring a little. I also replaced the USB ports, so that one of them could be connected to USB charging hub behind dash for charging phones etc., and the second could be connected to the Pioneer head unit

I also decided to get a Pioneer AVIC-F260-2 navigation addon module, so I don't have to have phone plugged in for navigation (which means I can't play files form USB when navigating). Also, this is something I can re-use with future Pioneer head units I may buy in future. As it comes with fairly long cables, and there's no room left under / behind dash, I fed the cables through to the pocket in the centre console. This also allows easier access to the SD Card, which makes updating maps easier. Traffic and GPS antennas are mounted on windscreen and dash.

Image ImageImage

I've used this navigation addon module before, and it works pretty well (though interface could use a little refinement)

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 am

Was good to see some of the LG member's cars at SimplyJap yesterday, and meet at least one of you :D

Found a decent looking 5G moonroof, with frame and motor, which I'll be collecting this evening, as the current moonroof in the car has a little rust on it. Not yet taken roof trim off to look at rest of sunroof, but will do that when I get round to swapping the moonroof glass.

After that, I'll have (I think without checking), sat in the barn collecting dust -
2 (maybe 3) x spare 4G sunroof frames
1 x spare 5G sunroof frame
2 x spare sunroof motors of varying 'strength' (one seems a little tired and struggles to open/close)
2 x spare metal 4G sunroof panels with varied levels of rust and wrap / plastidip coverings
1 x spare moonroof 5G panel

Nick (the mate I share the barn with) is gonna have a tonne of fun ragging me about my ever growing sunroof collection :D

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:15 am

Got the 5G sunroof, and it looks brand new (not bad for £40 and a return trip to Northampton from Oxford)- from what I can see, there is zero rust on the frame, and no rust bubbles forming under the edge seals n the glass :D

Image Image

I'm hoping that this week, I'll least have all the roof trim off and current sunroof panel removed so I can see whether I need to replace just the glass panel, or whether I should replace the frame as well (replacing frame would be a little more work as frame would need a little modifying - luckily there's this handy guide available)

As I was having issues with the traffic receiver on the Pioneer AVIC-F260-2 I got for navigation, I've decided to return the navigation unit and head unit I bought, and replace them with a Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB, which is what I use in my Outlander and it works flawlessly. Works out costing lest as well. Only issue is that this way, I can;t re-use the AVIC-F260-2 with future head units (which may be a blessing in disguise, as the map software on it is getting a little outdated in my opinion)

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:08 am

I'll repost the pics on that guide sometime this week, someone else had asked for them too.

uberNoobZA

Post by uberNoobZA » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 am

Vtecmec wrote:I'll repost the pics on that guide sometime this week, someone else had asked for them too.
Thanks. Did it before on track PReldue before I removed it all and replaced with an aluminium blank... great guide !

sol-lude
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:40 pm

Vtecmec wrote:I'll repost the pics on that guide sometime this week, someone else had asked for them too.
vtecmec you gonna redo your whole build post :lol:

Return to “Lude Profiles”