Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Mike's Type S

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Mike's Type S

Post by ATR84 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:42 pm

On Sunday I decided to try and fit the new window trims I had ordered from Honda myself. Originally I was going to either get PAW to do it on my next visit, or I was going to get one of my more mechanically inclined friends to help me. The Corona lockdown has put paid to those ideas, so I thought, what's the worst that could happen......

Thankfully, nothing went wrong and I was able to do it myself fairly easily. I have only done one side as I spent most of Sunday sorting the garden and house exterior out, but will do the other side one evening this week now I know how easy it is.

For future reference, the main tools I used were a philips screw driver and a small flathead screwdriver. I have put a few steps below that others might find useful:

1. Door open, window down
2. Take off the screw on the door handle cover
3. Slide the cover forward a bit, it should then pull out fairly easily
4. Unplug the cable and rotate the clip on the door opening rod so you can unhook it
5. Take the speaker cover off, it just pulls off quite easily
6. Remove the 3 screws behind here that hold the cover to the door, but don't mistake these for the screws holding the speaker in
7. Remove the screw in the coin tray
8. Remove the wing mirror, it pops off but needs a bit more persuasion than the speaker cover
9. Undo the screws to the wing mirror, unplug the wires and remove wing mirror
10. There is a pull out clip just below the wing mirror cover as well, that needs to be pulled out also
11. Now you should be able to pull the door card off
12. Now you need to try and undo some of the clips starting at the wing mirror end
13. Using one of the screwdrivers put it underneath the trim from the inside of the car, next to clip and push up
14. Once you hear a pop, the clip is probably undone, repeat this process for 2 or 3 of the clips
15. Once you have done this many you should be able to grab the trim and pull it up to remove it, this may take a bit of force, mine removed ok but one of the clips did break in the process, no big deal as the new trims come with new clips
16. Grab the new trim and fitting it is an easy case of lining up the clips and pushing down
17. Now put everything back together

When I do the drivers side, I could take a picture of each stage, I might, we will see :)

The fact I did this without any problems, means anyone should be able to do it. I am really pleased that I managed to do this and it has given me confidence to try other things also.

I took a couple of pics as I went:

Everything in bits, I was a bit worried at this stage, in case I couldn't put it all back together haha

Tools and screws everywhere (in some kind of order so I knew what went where)

Finished result

Shameless picture of the car before I put her back in the garage

OEM+

Mike's Type S

Post by OEM+ » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 pm

I'd be surprised if that last photo doesn't push up property prices on your street, mate - love it! :)
JayIG • 5th Gen 2.2VTi 2WS Auto • 91k

ATR84

Mike's Type S

Post by ATR84 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:46 am

OEM+ wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 pm
I'd be surprised if that last photo doesn't push up property prices on your street, mate - love it! :)
Haha thanks :thumbup:, although I think most of my neighbours wonder why I don't buy a new BMW or Audi on PCP instead :roll:

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Mike's Type S

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:46 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:42 pm
Those wheels make the whole car look great. :twisted:

toadster

Mike's Type S

Post by toadster » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:43 pm

Lo :D
Nice job 👍
Will Your Lude fit in the garage :?:
Nice house too :mrgreen:
Cheers ;)
Toadster

ATR84

Mike's Type S

Post by ATR84 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 pm

nitin_s1 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:46 pm
ATR84 wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Those wheels make the whole car look great. :twisted:
Cheers Nitin :thumbup:
toadster wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:43 pm
Nice job 👍
Will Your Lude fit in the garage :?:
Nice house too :mrgreen:
Cheers ;)
Toadster
Cheers :thumbup:

Yeah that's where it lives. Maybe the angle of the pic makes the garage look shorter than it is. Easily fits in and there are shelves and things like lawn mowers and bikes at the back!

ATR84

Mike's Type S

Post by ATR84 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:02 pm

I spent several hours on Sunday on the Prelude's paintwork. I only properly detailed it once last year, and I suspect it will be the same this year. It simply doesn't need it more than that as it lives in the garage and is only driven in the dry. It didn't need a clay this time either, the paint was still super smooth so the order of play was:

1. Two bucket method wash
2. Light polish with my Meguiras DA
3. Wax body & wheels
4. Treat the tyres
5. Clean the glass

I thought some people might be interested in a couple of product recommendations. I have used many different products over the years, and there are a couple here that I feel are a cut above anything else I have used.

First up, Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax. In terms of application, it was by far the easiest I have ever worked with. The cure time is just 5 minutes and it buffs off so so easily. It also leaves a lovely deep shine behind. I will probably only use this Wax going forward.

The second product I would recommend is Adam's Tire Shine. I have had issues with tyre shine products over the years, mainly in terms of sling. This stuff is the best I have used by far. It is very easy to apply and less is certainly more. I don't spray straight onto the tyre but onto an applicator pad and work into the tyre. It leaves a lovely wet look behind. I first used it last year and to be honest it did not really need doing again even now, but I thought I would do things properly so I properly cleaned the tyres using some degreaser and a tyre brush before applying. It also doesn't sling, as long as you let it dry first of course. Oh and this stuff smells lovely and is not all oily and disgusting like Meguiras Endurance Tyre Gel.

Finally, I have also tried a plethora of quick detailers over the years and my current weapon of choice is Alchemy Suga Coat, it is really glossy and really easy to apply and buff in. Next time your current quick detailer is getting low, give this one a try :thumbup:

vanzep
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G

Mike's Type S

Post by vanzep » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:14 pm

stunning 8)
perfect wheel/tyre combo and immaculate condition throughout-just look at the arches :shock:
i know there were a few niggles early on but youve got to be pleased with the result :thumbup:
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

ATR84

Mike's Type S

Post by ATR84 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 am

vanzep wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:14 pm
stunning 8)
perfect wheel/tyre combo and immaculate condition throughout-just look at the arches :shock:
i know there were a few niggles early on but youve got to be pleased with the result :thumbup:
Thanks for the comments :)

Yes I am delighted with it to be honest. I was always happy with the cosmetic condition, the niggles early on were the oil leaks which are thankfully now sorted thanks to Rich at PAW!

toadster

Mike's Type S

Post by toadster » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:21 am

Your Ludes bodywork is fantastic :mrgreen:
My Lude has more scratches than the entire Beastie Boy's back catalogue :lol:
Cheers ;)
Toadster

Return to “Lude Profiles”