Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by ATR84 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:33 pm

So, I have another Prelude. No, my Type S is going nowhere, this 3rd gen is going to be a 'daily'. I use the term loosely as I don't drive everyday but it will be 'used' where as the Type S only comes out for fun, meets or shows.

Spec

2.0i 4WS
Silver
Auto
Full Leather
Air Con
Electric Windows, Sunroof and Mirrors
68k miles
5 owners

I took a bit of a risk with this car, as I got it delivered via a transporter, so I sort of bought it blind. I had seen umpteen photos and videos but nothing makes up for seeing it in person.

When the transporter first turned up I was happy, then as I had a close look round, my heart sank a bit as there are a couple of places where the paint is not great. However, it's almost 32 years old and it's going to be used in all weathers so maybe it's a good thing it is not totally pristine. After taking a look round it, I drove it, it's at that point I was happy again. Not only did every single person I pass on that short journey either smile, point or do a double take, it drives with such charm and character, the bodywork blemishes were immediately forgiven.

My main plan with this is to improve it but keep it OEM and just to keep it on the road really. At this point, I don't know how reliable it is going to be or if there are any rust horrors underneath. The MOT history is clean but that doesn't always mean there are not issues hiding away.

List of things to do

Protect inner sills with Dynax S-50 - Done October 2020
Protect inner arches with Dynax S-50 - Done October 2020
Put original steel wheels and wheel trims back on, the wheel trims need refurbishing
Replace stereo and speakers, I need bluetooth as a minimum and speakers that don't crackle
Re-align front bumper
Replace front and rear number plates
Source some OEM mats
Replace or fix radio antenna
Clean interior - Done October 2020
Clay, Polish, Wax

I will also keep an eye on the rear arches and the rest of the car for rust, there are a couple of minor bubbles in places which I was aware of before buying. I bought this with my eyes wide open and know that one day, it will need bodywork doing and that's fine. It comes with the territory of owning a car of this age.

Some pics:

Leaving the seller's house on Friday night, the seller kindly sent me this to confirm all was well:

Some pics on the drive:

So yesterday I had some time to start the list of jobs, first was to clean up the steel wheels and to asses the wheel trims:

Seen better days

After a quick wash, much improved

These need sorting as too many scrapes

It was then time to attack the sills with this stuff

It soon started to drip out, at least showing it was getting into the right places

To be fair, the interior was already clean, but I am a clean freak and wanted to do it with my own products. The interior on this car is in such good condition, possibly better than my Type S and that's saying something! I love the thick pile carpets in this, even on the door cards!

Obligatory pop up headlights shot 8)

The two ludes together

Last edited by ATR84 on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Very nice. A pre facelift. Shame it's an Auto but the these drive great don't they. I personally think it is better and more fun than the Type S when I had mine. In b20a7 manual form but the mech 4ws is lovely.

Genuine floor mats......good luck sourcing those. In mine I used 4th gen zebra mats and they fitted very well.

toadster

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by toadster » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:26 pm

Lo :D
Doesn't look much of a risk to Me :shock:
Looks fabulous 8)
Cheers for posting the luvly piccies :thumbup:
Toadster

ATR84

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by ATR84 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:42 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:07 pm
Very nice. A pre facelift. Shame it's an Auto but the these drive great don't they. I personally think it is better and more fun than the Type S when I had mine. In b20a7 manual form but the mech 4ws is lovely.

Genuine floor mats......good luck sourcing those. In mine I used 4th gen zebra mats and they fitted very well.
I don't mind an auto, I have the Type S for b road blasting. I can't say I would prefer this, even as a manual, to my Type S, but it is lovely to drive and the 4ws is so good. Much better than I remember it being in my 4th gens. I just bought it for the pop up headlights really :lol:

Yes, I hear 4th or 5th gen mats will fit, I am on the lookout :thumbup:

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:20 pm

3rd 4ws will always be superior to 4th/5th gens in my eyes. The mechanical connection just feels so fast, no electronics involved. I loved it.

Greg
My Generation: 3G

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by Greg » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:44 pm

:thumbup: nice one! Looking good I'm excited to see what the future holds for you both :clap: I find it hard to explain to people just what these cars are like to drive because it's not a racing car by any means but it's not slow either it just feels right. Like it's as fast as it needs to be... Honda definitely got it right with what they had at the time regarding pre VTEC technology and the 2 stage intake can almost sound like VTEC with the right air filter ;)

It's impressive to see what others (mainly Americans) can achieve by adding turbo's etc but I think they're good enough as they are. Mechanical 4WS feels so much more obvious than the electronic version on the later models. On these it's right there when you near full lock and the back end comes out and your like oh hello my dear! I never really felt it in the 5g and there was once I thought it was broken until I read it doesn't work when the handbrake is on :roll: Congratulations with you new car what else can you get that's so cool for the money? Nothing that's what 😎

ATR84

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by ATR84 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:00 am

@Greg thanks again for all your help and advice over WhatsApp messages, it really is appreciated :thumbup:

Please do share which air filter I should be using for fake VTEC noises :twisted:

You are spot on about the 4WS, with the 4th gens I only ever really noticed it when manoeuvring or at high speed round corners (which actually felt quite unnerving).

I certainly think the 3g is cool, the Mrs is not convinced though :lol:

Greg
My Generation: 3G

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by Greg » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 am

No worries your very welcome 😊 fake VTEC is just a replacement K&N filter E-2425 in the original air box :D it makes all the right noises :lol:

My Mrs likes the 3g but not as much as Land Rovers! :crazy:

ATR84

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by ATR84 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Greg wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 am
No worries your very welcome 😊 fake VTEC is just a replacement K&N filter E-2425 in the original air box :D it makes all the right noises :lol:

My Mrs likes the 3g but not as much as Land Rovers! :crazy:
I was looking at the intake the other day and it looks quite long and convoluted compared to the Type S intake. That part number doesn't look like a drop in filter so to speak, is this right - https://www.knfilters.co.uk/honda/prelu ... trol/1989/

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Mike's 3rd Gen 2.0i 4WS

Post by Sailor » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:03 pm

Good looking car. Congrats on acquiring it.
International Pensioner of Mystery

Return to “Lude Profiles”