Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Wing's 2001 Base - USDM

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
nucleustylzlude
My Generation: 4G

Post by nucleustylzlude » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Wing8806 wrote:Thanks for the compliments!

Driving without power steering isn't bad at all. Only noticeable when parking in tight spots.

But I still have it installed for when I feel like using it ;)
Cool. You mean you still have the pipework behind the engine?

Wing8806
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Re: Wing's 2001 Base - USDM

Post by Wing8806 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:40 am

mercutio wrote:so do you you have an electric power steering pump?
Yeah, electric hydraulic from a last gen MR2
NafemanNathan wrote:... Or a buckle on your belt? ;-)
nucleustylzlude wrote:Cool. You mean you still have the pipework behind the engine?
I'm using the factory cooler lines from the rack to the cooler to the new pump. For the main line, only about 4" of the factory Honda line remains - at the rack lol. The rest is ran straight to the pump. I'll dig up an old video of it working

back in 2012 when I first installed and was testing the pump;

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Nice little install, I love the tucked away location too.

I think this is the same as @Mudgey's on here?

Wing8806
LotM Winner

Post by Wing8806 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34 am

nucleustylzlude wrote:Mudgey
Ah yes, I was unaware he was on here. It is indeed the same p/s system. As of now, I believe there are only (3) of us using the conversion. 2+ years and many thousands of miles later and still going well!

Recently came across his build on another forum, actually. Always curious how others do their installs.

Mudgey

Post by Mudgey » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:22 am

Excellent taste in prelude :)

That's good to hear they are reliable :) I also have mine hooked up to an on/off switch like as you say driving on the motorway without PS feels no different than with!

Do you have yours hooked up to the VSS & can you guys get hold of reasonably priced electrical plugs for the unit? There are a couple of us that want them but don't want to pay Toyota £100 for 3 plugs and the electrical pins!! :shock:

Wing8806
LotM Winner

Post by Wing8806 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Mudgey wrote:Excellent taste in prelude :)

That's good to hear they are reliable :) I also have mine hooked up to an on/off switch like as you say driving on the motorway without PS feels no different than with!

Do you have yours hooked up to the VSS & can you guys get hold of reasonably priced electrical plugs for the unit? There are a couple of us that want them but don't want to pay Toyota £100 for 3 plugs and the electrical pins!! :shock:

We have them available at junkyards for reasonable prices - but once an MR2 is found they tend to either get scrapped quickly or sent to an insurance yard where it cannot be picked.

I haven't had a chance to get my hands on one, too many projects :lol:

Nobody has checked the speed signal pulse that the VSS on a prelude puts out vs the pulse used on the MR2. If they are close enough, i'm in hopes that it will work that way. I have a control module that imitates the signal via potentiometer, but haven't gotten around to installing it....2 years later lol. Pretty much left it alone once I got it working on the switch until I get some time to dive back into it :oops: all the wires for the control board are ran, just a matter of actually making the correct connections.

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Cool. So all you do is supply a power to the pump via a switch?

Had a quick look and there are a couple of these pumps on ebay for £150. I can see me adding this to the evergrowing list of things to fit to my car! :roll: :lol:

How do you plumb it all in? There's 4 ports on the rack and do you even touch the two on the VSS now? Plus what did both of you use for your lines? Any info would be great if you could. :D

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:32 pm

I too would like to know this. Makes a cleaner jrsc engine bay.

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm

whats wrong with the mk2 pump compared to the mk3?
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

Wing8806
LotM Winner

Post by Wing8806 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:03 am

mercutio wrote:whats wrong with the mk2 pump compared to the mk3?
It's from a last gen toyota MR2, not a vw. Unless i'm misunderstanding your question?
RattyMcClelland wrote:I too would like to know this. Makes a cleaner jrsc engine bay.
nucleustylzlude wrote:Cool. So all you do is supply a power to the pump via a switch?

Had a quick look and there are a couple of these pumps on ebay for £150. I can see me adding this to the evergrowing list of things to fit to my car! :roll: :lol:

How do you plumb it all in? There's 4 ports on the rack and do you even touch the two on the VSS now? Plus what did both of you use for your lines? Any info would be great if you could. :D

I paid over $200 usd + shipping for my pump used, with around/less than 60,000 miles I think.

It just has one input and one output - just like our factory pumps. I'm using the same return line from the rack to the cooler to the reservoir. The outgoing line is custom - only using about 4" or so of the original line at the steering rack.

The pump requires basic wiring

(1) main ground
(1) main power line with a 70 amp fuse/breaker)
(i forget) misc grounds
ignition power to the relay so the main power line receives power
and speed signal via control board as I have, or the vss as the factory is - which is the common issue since nobody has gotten around to actually getting a reading off the vss

using a switch allows it to have 100% assist - normally the ps is only active 10mph and below, being able to control it makes the car very responsive on highway speeds like modern electric rack setups. (which would be more ideal vs the ehps system)

I plan to convert to an electric rack someday...

Return to “Lude Profiles”