Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Honda-Hardy's type "s" express

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
honda-hardy
Club Cartographer
My Generation: 5G

ooooops. Bent rear end.

Post by honda-hardy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 pm

Driving to work this morning, roads in perfect dry condition, driving the same as usual but the back end stepped out on me. I was exiting a roundabout and the back end fish tailed. I cought it but as I was in 3rd gear I never had the power to pull me straight so I exited the roundabout almost backwards hitting the inside of the drivers rear wheel on a kerb. Ooooops.

Are all 5th gen rear arms the same?

This is the good side

This is the bad side.

Good side

Bad side

I was moving the Mrs car and the bend was so apparent.

So once I find out what's bent, I'll be looking for spares.

newkid
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Lcas are the same come 4th or 5th other than the inner bush at the subframe, either can be used tho. Rear upper arms too but 5th have a strengthening plate as standard

honda-hardy
Club Cartographer

Re: Honda-Hardy's type "s" express

Post by honda-hardy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Well I still have not managed to sort the rear suspension out just yet, but Maz @ hond-R has a donor that I can extract the complete rear end from.
But the buying has not stopped. I have bought a red dash board and door cards, these are resting in my garage. I also have the sun visors to accompany it. and I have bought a limited edition red accord type r momo steering wheel that I collect this Sunday from farlow. https://goo.gl/images/vZ0cY8

honda-hardy
Club Cartographer

Post by honda-hardy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:57 pm

As most know from Facebook I have had some good and bad news about my type s.

Firstly the good.
After bending the rear suspension i managed to find a replacement after my ex wife’s lude got written off as she was rear ended. She now has a new one.

It'was a very hard weekend of toil and snapped bolts, but the prelude was fixed. The car passed its mot with only one advisory for slight play in upper front wish bone ball joint.
It's been over a year since I drove it. So the list of jobs done included

New exhaust and cat £665
New wheels and tyres £625
New brakes and rear bearing £300
New front suspension arms. £360
New headlights £200
New induction kit £60
New rear window defuser £60
New steering wheel £250
Used rear suspension (from donor)
Mot £35
New boot liner and carpet (from donor)
All rust and pealing underseal cleaned off and fresh applied.

Dyno tested @ 207 bhp.
Everything was sweet. Running and driving sweet as a nut. But...... now the bad.

1 week later it's dead! I covered just 500 miles.

drokk my luck.

Big end bearing knocking.

Entering the M4 in slow flowing 55mph traffic, i felt a stutter with a small screech and a drop in revs. Thought nothing of it. Pulled into a petrol station to fuel up to hear my big end knocking reverberating off the garage wall.

Gutted.

£2555.00 for 1 weeks motoring.

Not all bad though. :roll:

Thebusofwoe bought my old type s engine from me. He kept the old engine block and says the crank and rods are in good condition.

So , he is going to rebuild my engine.

All engine parts sent to the engineers, Hot tanked and cleaned of any crap, Pistons included.
The head will be hot tanked, skimmed and pressure tested.
The valve seats will be inspected.
The block will be fully stripped, hot tanked, each cylinder inspected for damage, wear and will be measured. If all is good then they will be honed as per Honda spec.
Crank will be hot tanked, and fully measured and inspected. Every one of the 9 journals will be measured and check. If any need polishing and/or grinding then that will be done.
However if any cylinder is scored beyond use then that will be the end of this block.
So hopefully by the beginning of next year it will be back on the road.

However in the meantime I am still gathering parts. My original rocker cover has been powder coated candy red to match the aem induction kit. I have sourced a clear red dizzy cap, I’ve been looking for one for years. This along with the projector angel eyes headlights I can’t wait for it’s rebirth. Again. 3rd time lucky.

Here are my Facebook links for pictures.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 am

It will be worth it. Been through the same process exactly and well worth the pain.

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Yes as Rats said it will be more then worth it.

I’m just about to go in the process. Been collecting bits and bobs for the final build.

honda-hardy
Club Cartographer

Post by honda-hardy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:13 pm

I hope so. I spoke with rich at performance autoworks and he suggested a complete atr swap, k20 swap. But as it’s a type s and they are coming rarer it would be the wrong thing to do. He swayed me to keep it standard.

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:31 pm

honda-hardy wrote:I hope so. I spoke with rich at performance autoworks and he suggested a complete atr swap, k20 swap. But as it’s a type s and they are coming rarer it would be the wrong thing to do. He swayed me to keep it standard.
:o :oops:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 am

Just read this.
Epic amount of work done to the car, absolutely gutted to hear of engine failure - so rare and sucks after you had paid to have the engine swapped with a lower miler, specifically in the hot it would keep the car going for yonks with minimal on-going effort!
K20 swap would have been Clubbing Eddy - there are virtually no good real type S's out there now.
Keep us up to date on the build!
(PS not on arsebook, so I don't see anything posted on there)

honda-hardy
Club Cartographer

Post by honda-hardy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:18 am

I’m in a bad place financially with this car now as my landlord has given me notice that he is putting our house on the market. So all money will need to be saved. I’m thinking of setting up a just giving page to try to help me save one of the last unmolested type s ludes from being broken.

Return to “Lude Profiles”