Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Tell us all about your Lude, you know you want to ...
Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by Vtecmec » Tue May 12, 2020 7:59 pm

The rad seems ok, its twice the thickness of the oem so probably not far off the same cooling provision.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by Vtecmec » Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 pm

I insured and taxed the lude yesterday and managed to get it out on the road with a trip to the supermarket today. I live a good 10 miles of country roads away so it was a good test. Everything went well. The boost winds up between 3.5 and 4k and at 8psi, I stopped short of vtec as I'm breaking the rings in but it did pull nicely. I found the dump valve annoying so I've ordered a recirculating valve to replace it and quieten it down a little.

Oil pressure is good, there no overheating and no oil or fuel leaks. Air fuel ratio seems to rattle between 11 and 14 which is good considering it's a random basemap, self tweaked a little. All good really.

Just needs a proper tune. Pass the yellow pages........

norks27
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by norks27 » Wed May 13, 2020 4:22 pm

Vtecmec wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 pm
All good really.
:thumbup:

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by vanzep » Wed May 13, 2020 5:13 pm

:thumbup:
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Vtecmec
LotM Winner

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by Vtecmec » Wed May 20, 2020 4:45 pm

Still all good so far, I dropped the initial break-in oil and filter after those 10 miles, there were no metal particles present so that's a good sign. :D

Filled her up with some more break in oil and had a nice 50 mile round trip to Melton Mowbray the other day, all on windy country roads, a great break in route.

It shifts really well and the torque levels are awesome. I've stayed under 5k so not hit vtec yet, but blimey its fun. 8)

I have a dyno session booked in for the 1st of June, so less than 2 weeks away, should be a nice drive home....

I had to provide the insurance company with some pics so I gave it a clean...........

Drax

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by Drax » Wed May 20, 2020 5:27 pm

absolutely wonderful!! im very pleased this has worked out very well so far - ill be keeping an eye on the RR figures, plus ill make a knowledge base from that ATR/Lude VSS fix you did as some people put in an ATR box as an upgrade 8)
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 20, 2020 5:55 pm

All good and sexy stuff 8) 8) 8) 8)

Focal component fronts fully approved :thumbup: ;)

louckie
XBOX GamerTag: louckie

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by louckie » Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 pm

Vtecmec wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:47 pm
I insured and taxed the lude yesterday and managed to get it out on the road with a trip to the supermarket today. I live a good 10 miles of country roads away so it was a good test. Everything went well. The boost winds up between 3.5 and 4k and at 8psi, I stopped short of vtec as I'm breaking the rings in but it did pull nicely. I found the dump valve annoying so I've ordered a recirculating valve to replace it and quieten it down a little.

Oil pressure is good, there no overheating and no oil or fuel leaks. Air fuel ratio seems to rattle between 11 and 14 which is good considering it's a random basemap, self tweaked a little. All good really.

Just needs a proper tune. Pass the yellow pages........
sweet dude ... video soon ?

Vtecmec
LotM Winner

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by Vtecmec » Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 pm

louckie wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 pm
sweet dude ... video soon ?
I'll do an 'on the road' vid next week once its mapped.

I've (tried) fixed the links on the previous page so the pics and startup vids should be working now.
Drax wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:27 pm
absolutely wonderful!! im very pleased this has worked out very well so far - ill be keeping an eye on the RR figures
Thanks Drax, I'm pretty pleased myself, it seems to have come together quite well. My only concern is that the turbo might be a bit small, not worried about the power output, but that it might run out of puff low down in the rev range, it'd be nice to have the turbo spool up, just on the point of VTEC and then have go right up to 7k. We'll see.............

One thing that did throw a scare last week was the signs of a coolant leak from one of the hoses, so I swapped it out and again it leaked, squeezing the hose and they were rock hard. I had all sorts of visions of head gasket leaks and other problems. Since it was not overheating or eating coolant, I narrowed it down to possible rad cap, so I swapped my old one in and it fixed the issue, phew.

Currently boost is controlled via the internal wastegate on the turbo, it seems to be about 10 psi, which is bang on the limits of the stock MAP sensor, so I've swapped this out for a SpeedFactory 3 Bar jobby, works fine. I might pipe up the MAC boost controller before the mapping and let the tuner control it via PWM, still considering that one. It's all wired up the the ECU already though so there is no real extra work.

I had set the TPS as per the manual, but discovered that Hondata makes the task a bit easier, with the engine off, you mark TPS closed in software, then mark it at open throttle and it does all the rest, no need to go under the bonnet at all.

I've swapped out the noisy blow off valve for a Bosch recirculating OEM one, used on SAAB's and Porsche, apparently good to 16psi and only £25 new. :thumbup:

Some numbers that I've noticed via the Hondata app whilst driving:

Coolant temps fluctuate between 85 and 92 degrees.

Intake air temperatures are about 15 degrees higher than ambient. I have read this is good?

Oil pressure at about 1.5 bar at tickover.

Other news, I've 'fixed' my cruise control, which has never worked since the Auto Manual conversion 12 years ago. :lol: Only took 30 mins. :roll:

I've also set the suspension to its softest setting as I'm getting old. :shifty:

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Vtecmec's 4th Gen

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue May 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Vtecmec wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:06 pm
Coolant temps fluctuate between 85 and 92 degrees.

Intake air temperatures are about 15 degrees higher than ambient. I have read this is good?

Oil pressure at about 1.5 bar at tickover.
Coolant looks about right both the Prelude sat at that supercharged and NA. The s660 sits there too.

IAT is bang on. Supercharged I sat at 45-50deg C normal and raised up to 100deg C if I really went crazy. After water injection it settled at 60deg C on boost.
The s660 sits at around 30-40deg C on normal heatsoaked driving. When in full boost for a while it h ewe ads to 55 deg C even with the bigger intercooler.

Oil pressure is good. What is idle? I'm at 21psi at the 1050rpm it's set at.

Return to “Lude Profiles”