Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

sun roof conversion

New member? Introduce yourself here!
cliveozy
My Generation: 4G

sun roof conversion

Post by cliveozy » Tue May 17, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi
Could someone who has swapped the 5th gen glass roof onto the 4th gen prelude vtec BB4 give me some information. Had the car for 10 years now no rust anywhere on the car its never failed an MOT yet but the sun roof has rusted badly. I brought a glass roof off jazz1889 a member on here just waiting for him to post it. My question is before I start drilling the brackets is I've read on other sites some people who have done this conversion have said it fits OK others have said it sticks up 10mm above the roof & have removed the headliner & dropped the hole unit with shims so it sits flush but some have also said the rubber S :D ill doesn't sit tight to the roof even after dropping it so I was wondering if anyone has experienced any leeks, if so I might have the original metal one shipped over from the USA the cost is about £250 delivered as I can't find a new one or a none rusty one anywhere in the UK any help would be appreciated. THNX

Drax

Post by Drax » Tue May 17, 2016 3:55 pm

2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

cliveozy

Post by cliveozy » Tue May 17, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi not swapping the complete unit only the glass. I've got the gist how to do it I just want to know if anyone who has done the swap has found that It leeks before I drill the brackets!

Gayno
Lord Gayness

Post by Gayno » Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 pm

@cliveozy

I've recently done the glass into 4G conversion.

You can use the 5G brackets but this is what causes the front to sit proud by 10mm or so.

Retain the 4G brackets and drill them out to fit the 5G roof and you will find it sits quite nicely. Mine sits proud by around 3-4mm but isn't really noticable. At least with this you will only need to shim the mechanism slightly if you so wished.

I've not had any leaking issues so far :)

You can see the pictures on this page of my profile thread: http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... 3-360.html

cliveozy

Post by cliveozy » Tue May 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Thnx

That's great then 3 or 4 mm I can live with that, I'M going to use my original brackets Tape the 97-01 roof bracket on top of the 92-96 Sunroof bracket so all slider mounting holes line up & drill new holes & grind down the metal/rubber bump stops.
Your car looks awesome. many thnx for the info.

Gayno
Lord Gayness

Post by Gayno » Tue May 17, 2016 8:36 pm

I'll be honest, due to the design you can't get them on top to line them up well enough and they'll just get in the way.

Hold them up so you can see where you need to cut, then just grind it out bit by bit until the glass panel sits in.

cliveozy

Post by cliveozy » Tue May 17, 2016 9:36 pm

I'll try. I saw on another site that someone bolted them together before drilling as the outer mounting holes will line up.
If not will go your way of doing it. thnx again.

Gayno
Lord Gayness

Post by Gayno » Tue May 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Yeah the outer mounting holes line up, but due to the way they bend you can't get them to sit together very well!!

I did that to get a rough idea where to cut, but after that it was trial and error :lol:

Return to “New Members”