Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

new member - hello!

New member? Introduce yourself here!
farisr
My Generation: 5G

new member - hello!

Post by farisr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:34 pm

Dear all,

I've just joined. I didn't realise this place existed until a few weeks ago. I can't believe I didn't think to look to see if there was a "fan club" for my lovely little car.

I'm afraid mine isn't particularly special - 1997 2.0i auto - but I love her. That makes her 20/21 and she's been in the family for at least 10 years, and possibly as long as 15.

I have to admit I think it is time we parted company. She's running strong, and still looks great, but I think I need something a little newer. I'm going to think about it and maybe post in the for sale section.

May I ask....which section is best for me to ask how much she might be worth? If I sell her, I should at least include a guide price rather than £offers. I think that encourages people to enquire. But I genuinely have no idea how much she's worth.

Thanks,

F.

sol-lude
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: Lude_666

Post by sol-lude » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

farisr wrote:but I love her. That makes her 20/21 and she's been in the family for at least 10 years, and possibly as long as 15.
and that's what make it special.

Welcome - sure someone with better idea on 5th's with value but all I will say is you will regret selling if you chose to.

crxdriver

Post by crxdriver » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi and Welcome. If you could post some pictures up it will also help with estimating what the cars worth. Also i want to see it :)

toadster

Post by toadster » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:58 pm

LO Matey :D
My Lude is a 2.0i Auto 1997 and I have had it since 2008 so 10 years this June :shock:
I still love it now as much as the day I bought it 8-)
Cheers ;)
Toadster

stefan

Post by stefan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:08 pm

farisr wrote:I'm afraid mine isn't particularly special
:nono: For us every single Prelude is a special car :)

Welcome to LG :Hello:

farisr

Post by farisr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks to everybody else who has commented. Your welcome is appreciated.

I'm going to do a photoshoot and video of her asap. I'm hoping the cold weather will mean some sunny days this week.

She has a few dings from when my parents owned her. No, really! They were her second owners, I think, buying the car because it was the only automatic they could find locally in a hurry at the time. They soon found it was way too low for them to get in and out of easily, and I eagerly stepped in and took her on.

But she's not in bad shape and the interior is pretty much un-blemished. She's only done 96k. Very minor rust. New rad and new alternator in the past 6 months - which are the only major things that have ever gone wrong with her.

Mine isn't nearly as nice as yours, toadster! No skirts or even alloy wheels :-(

Many of you will wonder why no alloy wheels. Why have the dings remained? It comes down to lack of funds, basically. But not a lack of love for the car.

But she does need some TLC now. More than I can afford to give her, anyway. And that's why I'm considering parting ways.

farisr

Post by farisr » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:01 pm

OK, I've taken a bunch of photos. And I *do* have skirts. Now I feel silly saying I didn't. I think mine just don't like as nice as toadster's. Mine just don't stand out.

Here are some pics to get started:

I have a bunch more pics, especially of the engine compartment, and of the areas that have scratches.

Should I post those here to help someone give me an idea of what she's worth?

farisr

Re: new member - hello!

Post by farisr » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:54 pm

It seems that my baby needs new disks and pads all-round, a front coil, a rear exhaust box and a few misc other thing to stay on the road :-(

The cost of all those parts and the labour involved is more than I suspect she's worth.

I don't know what to do :-(

She's 21 years old, 97k miles. I love her but .....

crxdriver

Post by crxdriver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:58 am

Maybe someone on the forum near by can help you for a few beer tokens. They are not hard jobs to do and the parts are not that expensive. Garages charge more than you could get the parts for yourself usually. If you let us know where you are based maybe someone will help. If your near me i would help.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi @farisr I must have overlooked when you joined - welcome.

Discs and pads aren't that expensive tbf and they're just service items on any car.
Annoyingly, most garages will overlook the rear caliper slider pins and corrosion under the pad anti-squeal shims when they change the pads (which is what actually causes the problems on the rears on Preludes and don't require parts, just taking apart and cleaning/reassembly).

When you say coil, do you mean coil spring?
You can probably pick up a used pair of standard front shocks/springs for a 5th gen cheap on here, which are easier to swap in than changing just the spring @Lankysod07 may be able to help.
Note: You should always change as a pair (new, or used matched pair off the same car) to keep the car balanced.

Back boxes are easy/quick to change as well, but might be a bit pricey for a prelude (not that common). Most exhaust places should be able to source for you though.

As for whether to do the work or not... All depends how much you love the car and still enjoy it. As I say, with the exception of the suspension spring, they're just standard wearable service items that any car might need, so whether they exceed the value of the car doesn't really come into it?

Return to “New Members”