Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

New (almost) owner

New member? Introduce yourself here!
PreludePete
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Post by PreludePete » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:02 pm

Toadster is on the money!

Change the oil twice with say a 50 mile gap and see the difference.

The stories about auto boxes being weak and giving up the ghost is sheer tosh, its a tough gearbox, Honda don't do bum droppings!

There are plenty of high mileage autos still going strong.

Any gearbox will fail if the oil is not changed regularly especially if it not in constant use!

Pete

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 pm

I once bought a Mercedes Benz for less than its real value because the autobox was slipping. Guess what: a couple of litres of ATF fixed it.
International Pensioner of Mystery

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Hi and welcome
Yes they have a bad reputation, but there are owners on here with high mileage auto boxes (even with tuned H22's on them - merc) who look after the boxes by changing the fluid regularly and have no problems.

Try changing the fluid, that's the best first step
As others have said, you will need to change a couple of times and follow the full procedure for how to drain/fill etc. IIRC it involves running the car on axle stands for a while and then topping up etc.???
It's also then worth trying it in full auto rather than tiptronic and see if that's any different.

If that's no good, then a replacement auto box or a manual conversion is the way to go - it's not that complex a job to convert to manual.

sheo

Post by sheo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks again for all the replies. I've just received 4L of ATF DW1 and will replace it at the weeknd. I'll get a picture of the old oil and post up anything else I find.

toadster

Post by toadster » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:36 am

sheo wrote:Thanks again for all the replies. I've just received 4L of ATF DW1 and will replace it at the weeknd. I'll get a picture of the old oil and post up anything else I find.
Looking forward to hearing your results matey :D
Cheers ;)
Toadster

toadster

Post by toadster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:43 pm

LO sheo :D
How did you get on matey :?:
Cheers ;)
Toadster

sheo

Post by sheo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 am

This is what came out of the drain. :(

sheo

Post by sheo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 am

Wasn't much more than a litre of it. I can't say the new ATF has made much of a difference to the gear changes unfortunately.

toadster

Post by toadster » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:04 am

sheo wrote:Wasn't much more than a litre of it. I can't say the new ATF has made much of a difference to the gear changes unfortunately.
That's odd to only get that much out ?
Was the dipstick showing a level OK?
How much new oil went back in ?
Cheers
Toadster

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am

That's very odd to only get that much out, as toadster asks - how much did it take to get back to max on the dipstick? You will likely need to do three changes to get a noticeable difference though, as the fluid will be inside the torque converter as well as the various coolers etc.

Drive it a bit (100 miles or so), do a drop and fill again. Then repeat that AGAIN. Dull process I know, but by the end you should be closer to a cherry red fluid.

As an aside, as has been said DW1 is Honda's new ATF fluid, replacing the previous Z1 fluid that was used. From the reading I've done, while DW1 will work fine, it's composition has been changed to meet new regulations etc, and by it's nature it's both thinner and more of a solvent in terms of how it works (although still has all the friction modifiers thankfully).

In this case, that's actually a good thing, as it should get rid of any deposits and cruft built up in the box. But after you've run it for a good few months after the three changes, I'd be very inclined to go back to something Z1 compatible. I've opted to use https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60163-fuch ... -cars.aspx in my Legend.
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Return to “New Members”