Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

New 5th Gen Owner.

New member? Introduce yourself here!
chris_rd92
My Generation: 5G

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by chris_rd92 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi guys! So a few weeks back I made a post asking for a manual 5th gen, and I'm please to say I've now officially joined the 'Lude club. I guess this is as good a time as any then to introduce myself properly!

My name is Chris, and I'm the new owner of PreludePete's very clean '97 5th Gen VTI manual 4WS :)

I look forward to learning as much as possible about these quirky cars as I can, as this will be a daily driver for me. This one has been very well looked after, and I have spent the last few days crawling around underneath and inside the arches making sure there are no hidden surprises and that everything has a nice coating of waxoil. I did find one bodge from a past owner where a rust hole in the inner rear arch had been covered with filler and painted over, which I have now replaced with my own much more substantial bodge to stop it getting worse :thumbup: On the whole though this car is in incredible condition inside and out, as is pure joy to drive.

I have done as much research as I possibly can to get clued up, but I do still have a few questions, the first being what are the common things to keep an eye on for these cars? I know rust is the big one, particularly the rear arches (hence the time I've spent with a wire brush and some waxoil), but what else should I expect to go wrong that I can prevent? Am I right in thinking that the water pump and rear calipers are also weak spots? What about the rear steering? Mine works perfectly at the moment and I've herd they rarely fail, but what can I do to make sure it stays in good working order? I'm also a Classic Mini owner so I know all about maintaining cars that like to make a fuss every now and then!

Next question, where is the best place for sourcing parts, and what other cars do they share parts with? I'm assuming they have a fair few Civic/Accord parts? Is there a dedicated Prelude spares site, or is eBay the best place?

Final question, I'd quite like to lower it ever so slightly. I can't afford coilovers at the moment, so I've been eyeing up the range of 30mm lowering springs. The H&R ones look like the best bet, but I'd like to hear peoples opinions, as I don't mind stiffening the ride slightly, but don't want to accidentally buy springs that are rock solid lol. This also may sound like a stupid question, but are there any complications with lowing a car with 4WS? Just a case of having the tracking checked again afterwards?

That's all I can think of so far. If anyone has any other advice for a first time Prelude owner then I would really appreciate it!

Cheers guys
Chris

Aaron14P

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by Aaron14P » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Lovely looking lude mate, congratulations!!!

some decent websites -

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/
https://hondaperformanceparts.co.uk/
https://h-tune.co.uk/

eBay is also useful for parts - if you can find the part number you need and search for it on eBay it can often surprise you!

if you cant find it online the guys on here are very helpful and more often than not will be able to help :D

As for lowering it, you will need the alignment checked after but with the 4WS there is a special pin/lock needed to lock the 4WS itself so it can be aligned properly if adjustments are required. I am going to be putting coilovers and asked the question myself and there are two recommended garages that would more than likely be able to do it properly - Performance Autoworks and also TGM Motorsports. i haven't used Performance Autoworks myself but they are highly recommended, i have used TGM before however and they are very knowledgable also!

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by Sailor » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Where are you?
It would be good to see the car at Beaulieu on the 28th!

Simply Japanese
International Pensioner of Mystery

Andyjess666

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by Andyjess666 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 pm

That is a nice car seen it myself in the flesh Pete always looked after his cars as said the usual places for parts ebay etc you can ask on here as some guys have a shed full of bits I have a similar one to you an just love cruising round in it an it's my daily as well

chris_rd92

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by chris_rd92 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

I will try and make it to Beaulieu but I'm moving from Essex to Yorkshire at the end of the month so things are quite hectic at the moment!
Aaron14P wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:53 pm
As for lowering it, you will need the alignment checked after but with the 4WS there is a special pin/lock needed to lock the 4WS itself so it can be aligned properly if adjustments are required. I am going to be putting coilovers and asked the question myself and there are two recommended garages that would more than likely be able to do it properly - Performance Autoworks and also TGM Motorsports. i haven't used Performance Autoworks myself but they are highly recommended, i have used TGM before however and they are very knowledgable also!
Thanks for the help Aaron. I have heard about these magical pins. Are they something I need to get hold of myself? And where can I get them from?

Cheers
Chris

Scott560

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by Scott560 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:20 pm

common things to keep an eye on for these cars?
If you know how to keep an eye on things - then there aren't really any major weak points compared to other cars. On the whole, the parts/materials/design are all top notch and the cars (bodywork excluded) tend to last very well. Ive never heard of water pumps going, but any rear caliper with hand brake mech, if the brake fluid isnt changed, will eventually rust up. As with any 20+ year old car, keep on top of the small jobs. Just keep an eye on the oil level , as leaks can and will develop as seals start to dry out.
What about the rear steering?
The only preventative thing i've heard of someone doing is spray some grease up in the 4ws motor area, to remove a noise. Just hope it doesnt break. A low voltage battery / stall can cause the light to come on (time to learn the reset procedure!).
sourcing parts
Ebay for cheap/generic stuff , lings for genuine parts (entire catalogue is online), Htune and others for aftermarket / stock parts. Platform shares most with the accord, not civic. Accord is also rover 600, but the 600 never had the 2.2 so not much will be common there. Oh and don't forget the forum :) lots of people hoard bits.
lower it
I cant comment on all springs, but my second lude came with a 30 or 40mm drop on springs only, and the ride was terrible / car almost undriveable / damage by speed bumps etc. Driving a bog standard lude again made me realise that the car is designed to be a cruiser. If you want to be shaken to death, get an integra... For me the problem wasn't so much the stiffening of the ride, but the lack of additional damping required to match the stiffer spring.
'00 UKDM 2.2VTI H22a8
'21 'e' Advance

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by ATR84 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:17 pm

That looks a lovely example 8)

These cars are 20 years old so there will be things that need doing. I have had issues with oil leaks recently :roll:

Mine is lowered on meister r coilovers and the handling and ride is excellent. Perhaps wait until you can afford coilovers?

toadster

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by toadster » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Lo :D
Lude looks 8)
I fitted Eibach springs to Mine quite a few years ago and they have been great :mrgreen:
Cheers ;)
Toadster

chris_rd92

New 5th Gen Owner.

Post by chris_rd92 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks guys, lots of good advice there!! :)

Return to “New Members”