Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Aloha

New member? Introduce yourself here!
touge
My Generation: 5G

Aloha

Post by touge » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:55 pm

Hello all, I've been lurking for a while but figured I'd make an account.

I don't currently own a 'lude but I've always been fond of the 5th gen models and I'm considering acquiring one for my next car! I originally was thinking motegi, but have seen the type S is quite well revered as the ultimate (with a few of you guys having them).

I've searched about a bit for differences and whatnot but haven't found an awful lot, am I right in thinking they are both JDM only? Why would you choose the Type S over the Motegi, or vice versa?

Thanks!

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Aloha

Post by RattyMcClelland » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Have a read of wikipedia in the 5th Gen section all the way from.top to bottom. It compared the differences.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Prelude

The motegi was UK only. The Type S is JDM only and there are significant differences listed in Wikipedia.

touge

Aloha

Post by touge » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:17 am

Cool, thanks for that! Seems obvious why people choose the Type S over the Motegi, but I suppose that brings about problems with sourcing and importing one to the UK over the UK spec Motegi.

Having never even sat in one, i'm interested to hear what you guys as enthusiasts like about them?

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Aloha

Post by ATR84 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

I have a Type S. The reasons I chose the Type S are:

1. I have always wanted one
2. It has more power than any of the UK models
3. It is super rare

I went for a fresh import because generally, they are going to be in better condition than ones that have been in the UK for a while.

I have had mine a year now and I am enjoying the ownership experience, I can't imagine getting rid of it anytime soon. I love the way it handles, and the way it pulls in vtec is brilliant and addictive, not to mention the noise it makes :D . Also, every drive feels like an occasion, although that is partly because mine is a 2nd car, not my daily.

Where are you based? If you are near an owner maybe you will be able to go and look round one to get a feel for the car.

touge

Aloha

Post by touge » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:00 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:55 pm
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

I have a Type S. The reasons I chose the Type S are:

1. I have always wanted one
2. It has more power than any of the UK models
3. It is super rare

I went for a fresh import because generally, they are going to be in better condition than ones that have been in the UK for a while.

I have had mine a year now and I am enjoying the ownership experience, I can't imagine getting rid of it anytime soon. I love the way it handles, and the way it pulls in vtec is brilliant and addictive, not to mention the noise it makes :D . Also, every drive feels like an occasion, although that is partly because mine is a 2nd car, not my daily.

Where are you based? If you are near an owner maybe you will be able to go and look round one to get a feel for the car.
Hi ATR84, thanks for the detailed response! Did you go through a specific importer to get yours? I think that's probably the best route, as you can be a little more choosey with which one you go for that way, or perhaps picking one up from another member! Every one I have seen thus far has been white, is this the most common or only colour the Type S came in?

I'm in Norfolk, unsure if any members are out towards this way but if any are who would be willing I'd like to have a look around theirs, very unlikely to find anything at a car dealer in this neck of the woods I would have thought!

ATR84

Aloha

Post by ATR84 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:48 pm

I bought mine from Torque GT. Buying one from a member would also be a good option they just don't come up very often.

There are other colours but white certainly seems the most common. I know they also did them in black and red. There is another version called the S Spec that has the same power output as the Type S but doesn't have the ATTS or the better suspension set up. Personally I would always go for the Type S over that but if a mint S Spec came up it would be worth considering for sure.

I am down near Gatwick so you are not near me! Maybe get to some shows next year? I will be taking mine to a few. Probably japfest, mimms and a few others.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Aloha

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Yes if you dont intend to modify anything for power to much, then a Type S is an excellent car. ATTS really is a great system. I loved it.
However if you want to modify for more power ATTS will limit you. This was my issue on my Type S. But that's another story.

I'd argue a Motegi is more rare than a Type S as there are loads of Type S in Japan for sale.
More rare is the S-Spec, it uses a viscous LSD instead of the ATTS system and as Mike says above the Type S uses a better from suspension.

If I wanted a stock car Type S vs S-Spec I'd go for a Type S everytime. If you intend to modify ie remap, and aim 10% + more power then an S-spec will be better.

Importing A type S might be the way forward. Use Torque Gt. They imported S660 and mikes Type s
Expect to pay around £7k for a clean example. It will be a 8-9 month wait if searching and importing unless they already have one in stock.

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Aloha

Post by nitin_s1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:07 am

As ratty said.

If you want to keep it stock I’d get the Type-S but if you want to modify it in the future then defo S-Spec.

I got the S-Spec :mrgreen:

norks27
Supporter 2016

Aloha

Post by norks27 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:15 am

ATR84

Aloha

Post by ATR84 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:51 am

When they say modify, they mean the ecu basically. Because of the atts you can't change the ecu, although you can, but you will lose the atts. You can use a vtec controller or a piggyback ecu though. So actually what I would say is, if you are after a significant power increase, yes the s spec might be a better bet. I have added a few bolt ons to my type s and it is more than fast enough for what I want it for, it really depends what you are after.

Personally, if I want 280bhp, I will buy a car with that. I don't think many people buy retro Honda's to go number chasing, for me it is just the thrill of vtec and having a super rare car, which is far rarer than the Motegi, in the UK at least.

Another thing to note is value, prices for Preludes have certainly started to creep up. All things being equal an oem type s is going to be worth more than an oem s spec every single time.

Return to “New Members”