Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Aloha

New member? Introduce yourself here!
nitin_s1
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Aloha

Post by nitin_s1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Yes when ATTS is working perfectly the car is so amazing to drive like nothing else 8) 8)

touge

Aloha

Post by touge » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:48 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:01 am
The ATTS is amazing, drive one with it on if you can, but yeah don't think you can add an LSD to an ATTS Prelude :?:

The Type S has a much better suspension set up than the S Spec and I believe a better braking system, active ABS :?:
Cool, I think end goal is probably a type S but I may have to settle for a UK motegi first of all, guess that makes sense to do really as that's probably the cheaper option than importing one first and then deciding i'm not overly enamoured by the drive!

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Aloha

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Read up on what ATTS is.
It's basically an active lsd. So fitting a passive lsd defeats the object. And it can't be done.
ATTS can actively bias the engine torque up to 80% to one of the other wheels depending on steering angle. It acts like a rowing boat. Want to turn left you paddle or apply rowing torque to the right side.

I deleted ATTS because it's so expensive to fix and causes tuning issues and was unreliable.for me even before I started modifying power. I have gone for a helical lsd and new transmission and I prefer it.

The s-spec is much more rare than a type S. They made the S spec as a later in life cheaper alternative to the type S and they made and sold much less than the Type S. Both rare of course.

ATR84
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Aloha

Post by ATR84 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:48 pm

On the other hand, I have had my Type S a year and the ATTS has not had an issue. Admittedly it will be expensive if something does go wrong with it.

Motegi is a good shout if you don't want to spend so much, be aware they will have 4 wheel steer which gives a totally different feel to the handling, especially at higher speeds.

nitin_s1
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Aloha

Post by nitin_s1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:34 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 pm
Read up on what ATTS is.
It's basically an active lsd. So fitting a passive lsd defeats the object. And it can't be done.
ATTS can actively bias the engine torque up to 80% to one of the other wheels depending on steering angle. It acts like a rowing boat. Want to turn left you paddle or apply rowing torque to the right side.

I deleted ATTS because it's so expensive to fix and causes tuning issues and was unreliable.for me even before I started modifying power. I have gone for a helical lsd and new transmission and I prefer it.

The s-spec is much more rare than a type S. They made the S spec as a later in life cheaper alternative to the type S and they made and sold much less than the Type S. Both rare of course.
I was waiting for you to reply as you’ve had the Type-S for the longest :thumbup:

ATR84

Aloha

Post by ATR84 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am

@touge There is a Motegi for sale in Norwich on Facebook, it looks decent on the face of it. https://m.facebook.com/groups/267855347 ... 1&sfnsn=mo

£5.5k though. As you said, you are not far off fresh import money at that price.

If you do go for a fresh import at some stage, I think the best advice is just to get the best condition one possible for your budget and don't worry too much about the Type S vs S Spec debate.

It's a pointless debate, because everyone knows the Type S is the best anyway :D ;)

touge

Aloha

Post by touge » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:24 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am
@touge There is a Motegi for sale in Norwich on Facebook, it looks decent on the face of it. https://m.facebook.com/groups/267855347 ... 1&sfnsn=mo

£5.5k though. As you said, you are not far off fresh import money at that price.

If you do go for a fresh import at some stage, I think the best advice is just to get the best condition one possible for your budget and don't worry too much about the Type S vs S Spec debate.

It's a pointless debate, because everyone knows the Type S is the best anyway :D ;)
Thanks for that, half-tempted to go have a look but doesn't the absence of a badge mean it's just some of the additional parts you would usually get with a Motegi edition? Idk if it's a specific thing that's provable, e.g. on bill of sale or whatnot, or if they are just aesthetic 'options' any prelude could have come with!

There's a modded one in Swindon that looks good, but 160k miles is a bit offputting!

ATR84

Aloha

Post by ATR84 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:39 pm

touge wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:24 pm
ATR84 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:45 am

Thanks for that, half-tempted to go have a look but doesn't the absence of a badge mean it's just some of the additional parts you would usually get with a Motegi edition? Idk if it's a specific thing that's provable, e.g. on bill of sale or whatnot, or if they are just aesthetic 'options' any prelude could have come with!

There's a modded one in Swindon that looks good, but 160k miles is a bit offputting!
I am not exactly sure how it worked when they were new, perhaps someone else on here will though? It could be that someone has taken the badge off at some point. If it is not too far for you, might be worth a look and a teat drive just to get a feel for them if nothing else? This is not the type of car you are going to find sitting on a local dealer's forecourt unfortunately.

Most people will say buy on condition, not mileage, and I agree with that. The main problem with high mileage is resale value, and the amount of time it can take to shift high mileage motors.

touge

Aloha

Post by touge » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:00 pm

ATR84 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:39 pm
I am not exactly sure how it worked when they were new, perhaps someone else on here will though? It could be that someone has taken the badge off at some point. If it is not too far for you, might be worth a look and a teat drive just to get a feel for them if nothing else? This is not the type of car you are going to find sitting on a local dealer's forecourt unfortunately.

Most people will say buy on condition, not mileage, and I agree with that. The main problem with high mileage is resale value, and the amount of time it can take to shift high mileage motors.
From the looks of the Wiki Ratty originally posted it seems that all Motegi bits were available to any Prelude purchase with exception of the badge on the back, which may be relevant in this case! Who knows though, have requested to join that fb group so will enquire as and when that's approved. Half-term this week so may go have a gander later on, as you say probably the only chance i'll have to see one locally at least!

Yeah, I think the engines are certainly able to run for this long but anyone who sees 160k is immediately going to be wary, as am I! If it's cheap enough and has good history it's worth a possible gamble!

norks27
Supporter 2016

Aloha

Post by norks27 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:29 pm

touge wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:00 pm
From the looks of the Wiki Ratty originally posted it seems that all Motegi bits were available to any Prelude purchase with exception of the badge on the back, which may be relevant in this case!
It's irrelevant really - the VTi from 1999 onward came with the red top engine and was Motegi spec bar the aesthetic extras, body kit etc. So if the Prelude in question is red top then it makes no odds if the badge was fitted by the dealer or factory, (mine is missing the Motegi badge, it was de badged a long time ago when stealing badges from cars was the thing).

From my point of view, as a UKDM owner I'd probably favour the JDM option, import and get it rust proofed pronto, (though I'm sure @RattyMcClelland got his S660 undersealed as part of the service from TorqueGT??).

P.S. I love the 4WS of my Motegi, and in 20 years has only required one reset

If you do go UKDM you can add to the Motegi's ability by adding an LSD gearbox from the Accord TypeR etc.

Return to “New Members”