Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

New Owner of a 5th Gen Prelude - NEED HELP!

New member? Introduce yourself here!
Sameen_Abbas
My Generation: 5G

Post by Sameen_Abbas » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:26 pm

Hi guys,

My name is Sam, i am based in Manchester and I have bought a 1997 5th Gen Honda Prelude a couple of days ago. It is a silver 2.2 VTI Manual, with 4WS, sunroof and cruise control. The previous owner has put on a stainless steel cat back exhaust, an AEM intake and some sort of complicated after market head unit. The car drives and sounds fine. There is a sound from the clutch which i believe is the clutch release bearing. No leaks, no major rust, some bubbling around and surface rust developing on the rear driver side arch. Overall the car is in very good condition for a 22 year old car, drives really good and no major faults.

HOWEVER....... the 4WS light is on and after reading some of the forums I've managed to retrieve the fault codes which are as follows.
ABS fault - 81 - CPU??
4WS fault - 25 - Main Steering Angle Sensor: R

No other faults. I have bridged the service connector and done the reset procedures for both 4WS (steering wheel 45 degrees to clockwise... etc) and ABS (depress brake pedal, turn ignition to 2....) to see if it is just an old fault still registered but the 4WS still doesn't work after clearing the errors. I have read elsewhere that fault 81 could be because of a low voltage supplied because the car is off and CPU isn't receiving the right voltage hence registering a fault. So my main focus will be the steering angle sensor. For the life of me i can not find the OBD port on the car.

Can anyone shed some light on this main steering sensor and where to find it. I have already tried to find the answers online, i cant even find the new part online i need to replace it and i have no idea where to find the part on the car.

I apologise that this intro post has turned into a plea for help but i want to get this beautiful car up and running as its meant to. I look forward to all your help and hopefully i can help others in future with what i learn from working on my car.

Thank you very much.
Sam

Greg
My Generation: 3G

Post by Greg » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:47 pm

Welcome. Have you tried turning your steering wheel when parked up and checking the rear wheels? I believe the handbrake needs to be off otherwise the rear wheels won't move. That's how it is on mine anyway...

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 pm

Obd2 port is behind the passenger side centre console carpet trim. It's a first generation obd2 port directly next to the code connector you put the pin in. So effectively it's useless.

The rear steering angle sensor is on the rear steering gearbox.

Sameen_Abbas

Post by Sameen_Abbas » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:03 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 pm
Obd2 port is behind the passenger side centre console carpet trim. It's a first generation obd2 port directly next to the code connector you put the pin in. So effectively it's useless.

The rear steering angle sensor is on the rear steering gearbox.
Hi, thank you for the advice in regards to the OBD port. The rear steering angle sensor, do you have any idea where i can get one from? I cant seem to find it online anywhere and i'm not sure what they look like.

Thank you again in advance for your help.

RattyMcClelland
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:19 pm

Make sure 4ws definitely isn't working with the engine running.

You'll have to buy 2nd hand out off a scrap vehicle as they can't be bought anymore.
I believe it's part 13 in those link. The potentiometer.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partsca ... f/B__3350/

newkid
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: spaz_ma_taz

Post by newkid » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Have you tried resetting the 4ws?

Sameen_Abbas

Post by Sameen_Abbas » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:45 pm

RattyMcClelland wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:19 pm
Make sure 4ws definitely isn't working with the engine running.

You'll have to buy 2nd hand out off a scrap vehicle as they can't be bought anymore.
I believe it's part 13 in those link. The potentiometer.

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/partsca ... f/B__3350/
I have checked to make sure that 4WS isn't working. Turned the engine on, taken the hand break off and turned the wheel through the window while keeping an eye on the rear wheels and they are not moving.

Thank you very much for that link. That helps a lot. There are a couple people breaking preludes so i can use this to explain what part i need. Thank you.
Last edited by Sameen_Abbas on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sameen_Abbas

Post by Sameen_Abbas » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:46 pm

newkid wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:06 pm
Have you tried resetting the 4ws?
Yes i have, i followed the procedure online as suggested. The 4WS light blinked twice and stayed off. After restarting the car the light comes back after a few seconds. I will try it again and make sure.

Sameen_Abbas

Post by Sameen_Abbas » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:43 pm

For anyone who might be waiting for an update, i replaced the rear angle sensor and then reset 4WS and it is now sorted.

Next on the agenda is a full service, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. Also will be looking into tuning soon.

Thank you and look forward to pecking your heads again shortly.

Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:57 pm

Excellent, the 4ws makes the prelude the most unique of drives. :thumbup:

Return to “New Members”