Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Hi new member 5th gen Scotland 😊

New member? Introduce yourself here!
TazsLude
My Generation: 5G

Post by TazsLude » Tue May 19, 2020 1:53 pm

Wurley thank you for the advice it is well appreciated 😊 I will make an attempt with the pics next time i have Lude pics to put up thank you for keeping me right though 😊. Does anyone know if you have the lip missing on the arch due to rust which bends towards the inside of the archway would it fail an mot? (It's the lip that usually gathers dirt and starts the rust process on the archway) I'm thinking of getting the car motd and put back on the road but I need to find a rear bumper support bar/beam which is hard to find!

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 pm

Is the metal lip (seam) missing, or just the rubber cover over the lip?
If it's just the rubber cover, then no you won't fail an MOT.
If the lip is completely missing then I think potentially yes - because the outer and inner wings/arches are not longer joined (which weakens the structure of the car).

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Tue May 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Wurley the lip has gone on it it's still together and there isnt any gaps in the panels that I can see but it's just the lip that isnt there. I was thinking maybe it would be seen as sharp edge and fail the mot that way?

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm

If the sharp edge isn't protruding outwards (cant be caught by pedestrians) then I doubt it will be an issue.

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Tue May 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Wurley it isn't it's actually sitting flush you wouldn't be able to tell unless you ended up specifically looking for the lip. We will see and I will update when the time comes. I need to go and look for the power steering cooling rad first and the Aircon condenser and I'm thinking might as well replace the main cooling radiator too whilst I'm at it 😂

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Tue May 19, 2020 10:07 pm

ive had one lude fail an mot for perished rear arches - i thought it was solid enough but mot tester was able to pull a sharp bit out and make it protrude and fail the mot so if they see it missing the lip they will probably poke around and you might get a fail like i had.
a temp fix to get it through the mot would be fibreglass the area and rattle can it - if you keep it neat on the outside panel any mismatch in paint colour will be relatively unnoticable ;)
the repair panels on ebay will sort that out if you want a long term repair but cost to get that done by a pro is about £500 a side including paint.
if you can find someone who can do that for less then let me know :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Tue May 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Vanzep mine is going to fail it I know it has some rough edges on it. I am going to have to get the panels and find someone decent to do both sides. I was thinking that I may aswell get the inner and outer side done both at the same time the problem I'm facing is trusting someone to do it properly a, without getting conned and b, finding someone who can do it properly for the long term! I'm up in Scotland and I can easily say that 500 a side painted is an amazing price but doubt if it's something to be found up here lol I may have to come to England to get mine done at a reasonable price or even better maybe I may be able to learn how to to do the bodywork myself then everyone is welcome 😀

mr_drc

Post by mr_drc » Tue May 19, 2020 11:12 pm

Just put duck tape over it for it to pass mot bud as long as its taped tester cant remove even if they want to no allowed :shh: should get you bk on the road but will need fixing properly in long run
If it looks like jobby and smells like jobby it probably is jobby!

TazsLude

Post by TazsLude » Wed May 20, 2020 12:24 am

Drc thank you for the tip bit I checked the other side and the whole lip is gone 🤣 that's why in thinking to just bite the bullet and get the repair panels and get this whole thing over and done with we will have to see about who I can find to do the work it's hard to find someone decent to carry out the work which will last.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 am

I believe portslade panel works, come highly recommended???

(note for the newbs - this is a very long standing forum joke, so don't take that recommendation seriously!)

Return to “New Members”