Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

I feel the need for a 4G Prelude - advice please.

New member? Introduce yourself here!
Auld_Yin
My Generation: 4G

Post by Auld_Yin » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 pm

Hi everyone,

As per the title, for some strange reason, out of the blue, I really feel the need for a fourth generation Prelude.......weird.

Fourth gen, cos it's the prettiest (in my old eyes), 2.2 Vtec manual (I already own two automatic cars) and a good honest car, is what I'm looking for.

Not looking for a garage queen, I live in Scotland, so rain is an everyday possibility and the garage space is spoken for - a sheltered driveway would be the
place of residence for the new addition.

There is a white lightweight BB4 advertised on Car & Classic at the moment, what are the thoughts on that particular car?

Hoping that I'll get some advice on possible purchases, thanks in advance - Andy

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:32 pm

Hi Andy,
Great choice in going for a manual 4th gen ;)
Guess im an old guy now too - and i have just bought a 5th gen auto :)
I have been driving 4th gens on a daily basis for 20 years and love it.
If you are near Edinburgh or can make it through this way then i would be happy to show you round my lovely 1991 JDM 4th Gen and give you any help you might need in picking one for yourself. Thats a genuine offer.
If you are interested then post up a reply and i will send you my contact details.
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

Auld_Yin

Post by Auld_Yin » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:18 pm

Hi vanzep,
That's a very kind offer, thank you. I'm in Dunfermline, but am Edinburgh born and bred, Trinity area, then Leith and finally Liberton :D :D
I have this weekend free, if that's any good - no hurry though.
my email address is andymcgibbonatskydotcom
Cheers - Andy

ATR84
My Generation: 5G
XBOX GamerTag: mike84n

Post by ATR84 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:31 pm

Be careful with that white one on car and classic. I bought a 3rd gen from a guy in Birmingham last year and the pictures have been taken down the exact same street, in the same style.

The guy claimed to be a private seller and with covid and me being lazy I decided to buy it blind. While not a lemon, it was not as described. For example, he claimed it was rust free and it wasn't. Just make sure you go and see it in person would be my advice :thumbup:

vanzep
Supporter 2016

Post by vanzep » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:07 pm

Hi Andy,
Im just a few minutes from Trinity as i live at Goldenacre Terrace - i will email you my contact details and we can arrange something. :)
1996-2000 1993 EG9 Blue Civic 1.6 Vti - Traded in against the BB4
2000-2019 1994 2WS BB4 Milano Red JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD

2015 on > 1991 4WS BB1 Phantom Pearl Grey JDM Prelude Si VTEC LSD
2021 ON > 1998 2WS BB6 White Pearl JDM Prelude Si VTEC

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:17 am

Auld_Yin wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 pm
As per the title, for some strange reason, out of the blue, I really feel the need for a fourth generation Prelude.......weird.
Hi Andy

Oh there's nothing weird about that - only a 4g hits the spot! :D They are indeed, gorgeous looking cars.

That car does indeed look nice, but it's asking top money so I agree wholeheartedly with others on here... Don't buy it without looking it over in person either yourself (and preferably with another knowledgeable expert from here at the same time) or asking a trusted member on here to go and look at it for you and report back.

It's not exactly round the corner from me, but not beyond the realms I could go and look at it with you if you'd like.

Couple of things I spot from the pics - it's had a 5g moonroof conversion. Nothing wrong with that (plenty have done it due to the original 4g metal sunroofs rusting) but there's right and wrong ways to tidy up the interior trim and set the height of the roof panel correctly.
Also the wheels, difficult to tell from the pic but it looks like the offset on those might be a bit too high, not tucking into the wheel well correctly (could get issues with scrubbing)? That would need checking. Seller does say the original wheels are available, so that might be an option (note the car will ride much better on oem 15" or a set of 16" aftermarket than 17", anyway)

Drax

Post by Drax » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:23 am

that white lude looks clean & a good spec but as ATR84 says go and see it first, or find someone close by to view it for you. ask for proof of the servicing & cambelt etc, if they have carried out the work themselves they should be able to provide pictures of the new items fitted like taking the rocket cover off to show the new timing belt etc.

if you go for a test drive, take it on faster roads, not 30mph around the block - even if the owner drives try and insist you do a 60/70mph cruise somewhere for 5/10mins. ask him to hoof it at some point, test all the electrics, check underneath as much as you can and under the arches as the inner arch may be going/have hidden rust. if possible, take a lude expert with you or meet one there - but only if possible
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Auld_Yin

Post by Auld_Yin » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:34 pm

Thanks very much for all the help offered, comments and advice guys - it's much appreciated :clap: :clap:
I'm not in a great hurry, I've got three cars already and am just feeling the urge to expand the fleet.
Also I'll not do anything until I've met up with vanzep and checked out his cars as it's a long time since I've seen a Prelude close up.
Again - thank you all .
Regards - Andy

Hagland-BB4

Post by Hagland-BB4 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 pm

Does look clean from the pics, but I would ask for proof of it being a BB4, they usually dont have cruise control or a sunroof and have a coin pocket where the sunroof buttons are so that's a little strange but maybe added as a factory option.
Its more like a BB1 to me
The fuel in the car is worth a bit though :lol:
Now
1994 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB4 SI VTEC LSD (Sebring Silver - NH552M)
1996 Prelude 2.2 - UKDM BB1 VTEC (Milano Red - R81)
1993 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB1 SI VTEC (Sebring Silver - NH552M)

Then
1996 Prelude 2.2 - UKDM BB1 VTEC (Championship Whte - NH0)
1995 Prelude 2.2 - UKDM BB1 (Phantom Grey - NH561P)
1995 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB4 SI VTEC LSD (Granada Black - NH503P)
1995 Prelude 2.2 - JDM BB1 4WS (Sebring Silver - NH552M)

Return to “New Members”