Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

temp gauge

New member? Introduce yourself here!
gordyuk
My Generation: 3G

temp gauge

Post by gordyuk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:55 pm

hi all,

i have a temp gauge prob, it takes about 15 mins to register a quater on guage, and sometimes when driving it goes straight back to cold, it never seems to get fully warmed up i;e normal temp being half way on scale. i have already changed the thermostat which had no effect

could this be a temp gauge sender problem ? if so which one is it,,i have noticed 2 1 of which is by tthe thermostat and 1 is front left of engine by a coolant hose.

the car is a honda prelude 2 lite 1995.

any help would be good thanks

JayJay
My Generation: 4G

Post by JayJay » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:34 am

Hey,

Silly question but have you refilled and bled the coolant? Make sure its bled properly and theres as little air as possible in the system. And yes, there are two the temperature switches but other than taking both out and checking theres no way of finding out which one, if any, has the problem.

To test, pop the wiring connector off the thermostat and check for continuity between the two terminals in there. There should be continuity if the water temperature is above:

Switch A - 90 degrees C
Switch B - 103 degrees C

A is in the thermostat housing, B is in the return housing (the bit at the front). Continuity should stop when the water temperature is :

Switch A - 2 - 7 degrees C lower than the ON temp
Switch B - 4 - 9 degrees C lower than the ON temp.
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Return to “New Members”