Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

New lude owner

New member? Introduce yourself here!
jdeale84
My Generation: 5G

New lude owner

Post by jdeale84 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi all, this is a bit late but I recently got my prelude (about a month ago), its a 1998 Honda Prelude 2.2 VTI, 185hp.
Thanking @Drax for all the support so far but thought I would put everything I've done so far to it as well as the issues I've had.

So far all I've done to it is put a lovely egr racing gearstick cover and shiftknob which looks lovely as well as disconnected the airbag, horn and cruise control permanently (i.e. I broke it)

But looking to get a new steering wheel in anyway so not too fussed, I do however need a horn to pass an mot so I'm trying to figure where to put it or fix it temporarily. Would also like the cruise control back but again, not sure where to put it, might have to get creative. I know I could simply get a new clock spring to fix it all but because of the new steering wheel I want, it wouldn't really work. From all this I learnt not to solder the clock spring because there's like 6 different connections going along that, so went I soldered it all together in an attempt to fix it, it went a bit haywire.

I think it is leaking a tiny bit of oil, noticed a bit on a driveway once, dismissed it but then noticed it again recently on a rainy day when the rain was rainbow coming from under my car, but nothing major, oil level is ok, isn't going down.

And for every prelude owner to relate to, the rust is BAD on the rear arches, got a quote for £1k to fix it all which I am very far from. Looking to sand it all down, filler, primer and a ton of just rust preventatives to keep it at bay until I can afford to weld in new pieces.

Right window is out of aliment, shudders on the way down and up but is water tight so will try get that fixed, just not sure how.

I don't think the AC works

Right door handle needs a new spring? Doesn't click back into place, if you know what I mean.

Otherwise its a beauty to drive, sounds amazing and I can't wait to do so many things to it. Over summer I want to paint it over, either in its original black colour, just to give it some life back, or go in a new direction, maybe red.

I want to put a new sound system in although its a bit of a nightmare because someone at some point has done some serious diy to the wiring, so its a mess.
Also would like to put coil overs in, car came with lowering springs so if anyone wants a set, let me know cos I'll be selling them when I do get coil overs.

At some point in the future, I'll be looking at performance mods and tuning, but currently at university so budget is tight.

Any advice about any of these things would be greatly apricated, but otherwise so happy with the car, these things are so underrated in the jdm community, 25 years old, and its reliable, fast and practical.
My Instagram is @justin.deale if anyone wants to contact me about anything.

jdeale84

New lude owner

Post by jdeale84 » Tue May 23, 2023 3:58 pm

Some Images of it here :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toadster

New lude owner

Post by toadster » Wed May 24, 2023 12:01 am

Hi :D
Welcome along :mrgreen:
Looks luvly in black 8)
I'm guessing it's a manual :?:
Cheers for posting ;)
Toadster

Andyjess666

New lude owner

Post by Andyjess666 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:57 am

Where are you in the UK mate just in case someone is near by for you

Drax
My Generation: 4G

New lude owner

Post by Drax » Wed May 24, 2023 9:03 am

jdeale84 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 3:25 pm
I think it is leaking a tiny bit of oil, noticed a bit on a driveway once, dismissed it but then noticed it again recently on a rainy day when the rain was rainbow coming from under my car, but nothing major, oil level is ok, isn't going down.
i don't remember any remaining oil leaks as i'd plugged a few, but it's very normal for these to leak a little oil

And for every prelude owner to relate to, the rust is BAD on the rear arches, got a quote for £1k to fix it all which I am very far from. Looking to sand it all down, filler, primer and a ton of just rust preventatives to keep it at bay until I can afford to weld in new pieces.
it's not brilliant but it's not bad enough or in the right area to affect an mot as long as tape covers it

Right window is out of aliment, shudders on the way down and up but is water tight so will try get that fixed, just not sure how.
likely the window seal bent, they do this over time, simply age of the car. if your standing on the outside, looking at the window its the one on the left side going up

I don't think the AC works
i honestly never used it, the sunroof was enough for me

Right door handle needs a new spring? Doesn't click back into place, if you know what I mean.
could be something like this, best take the inner door card off and look through

Otherwise its a beauty to drive, sounds amazing and I can't wait to do so many things to it. Over summer I want to paint it over, either in its original black colour, just to give it some life back, or go in a new direction, maybe red.
i'd just clean and polish it myself, it will shine like anything :thumbup: but that's up to you

I want to put a new sound system in although its a bit of a nightmare because someone at some point has done some serious diy to the wiring, so its a mess.
Also would like to put coil overs in, car came with lowering springs so if anyone wants a set, let me know cos I'll be selling them when I do get coil overs.
not guilty! barely used the sound system as mentioned :D coilovers are a great upgrade on these cars, i'd recommend either yellowspeed or meister-r

At some point in the future, I'll be looking at performance mods and tuning, but currently at university so budget is tight.
depends what you want out of the car, give us ideas (down the line) and maybe we can help plan something
toadster wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:01 am
I'm guessing it's a manual
yep!
Andyjess666 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:57 am
Where are you in the UK mate just in case someone is near by for you
Sheffield
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

Merlin
PSN GamerTag: Merlinbadman

New lude owner

Post by Merlin » Wed May 24, 2023 9:08 am

Welcome to LG!!
BA8......... BB4......... BB8.........The JDM Muscle Bus

jdeale84

New lude owner

Post by jdeale84 » Wed May 24, 2023 1:13 pm

Honestly its working a dream, these are all just little things I'm not really fussed about, I think It's all within my capabilities to fix if I just research it a bit, I'm hoping most of them will be fixed by the end of summer. Apologies @Drax! Didn't mean to sound like that was you :lol: I know its a very old car, it feels like someone along its long life must have tampered with the wiring trying to put in a screen, gps, a microphone and all sorts :lol: I just ended up cutting it all out and soldering in the the few essential cables a radio needs, like power, sound, ground, that kind of stuff. Also the radio works on both sides now! Didn't touch a thing! So confusing. Defo gonna get rid of that amp and just wire it stock (if i can figure it out lol) to then eventually put in a new sound system.

I'll also look into yellowspeed or meister coilovers :thumbup:

Thanks again!

TitzonToast
PSN GamerTag: TitzonToast

New lude owner

Post by TitzonToast » Wed May 24, 2023 7:04 pm

Best of luck with your new Lude, man. And welcome to the forum too.
Tamquam Pullum Gustavit

Drax

New lude owner

Post by Drax » Thu May 25, 2023 8:52 am

jdeale84 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:13 pm
Apologies @Drax! Didn't mean to sound like that was you :lol: I know its a very old car, it feels like someone along its long life must have tampered with the wiring trying to put in a screen, gps, a microphone and all sorts :lol: I just ended up cutting it all out and soldering in the the few essential cables a radio needs, like power, sound, ground, that kind of stuff. Also the radio works on both sides now! Didn't touch a thing! So confusing. Defo gonna get rid of that amp and just wire it stock (if i can figure it out lol) to then eventually put in a new sound system.
no need to apologize matey! and well done on the electrical stuff, sounds like your diving in there 8) its a lot more than some owners do so fair play :thumbup:
2.2 JDM DOHC SI-VTEC LSD TCS 4WS ABS BB1 MANUAL 1992
FOR PAUL

mart609
LotM Winner
XBOX GamerTag: mart609
PSN GamerTag: mart609

New lude owner

Post by mart609 » Thu May 25, 2023 10:06 am

Hi and welcome

Return to “New Members”