Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

A/C Expansion Valve bitches

Inside your car, there is an interior. Talk about it here
RattyMcClelland
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: RattyMcClelland

A/C Expansion Valve bitches

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:53 pm

When i bought my Type S the A/C never worked. The previous owner charged the A/C and it exploded.
When the system starts to reach its ideal pressure the expansion valve must have clogged up and burnt out which is a common expansion valve issue (changes the liquid to gas).

So the previous owner said i need a new expansion valve and condensor. Now my Condensor looks to be in good condition but its not hard to get a 2nd hand one.

The expansion valve is the issue. Ideally want a new one.
Honda being the reasonably priced people only want £164.51. BARGAIN! :lol:

Any know where else to get one. I dont want to rick buying new O rings and replacing them to fin the actual valve is shot.

Any help from the people who actually keep AC and not try to become an Integra owner. :lol:

judderod
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: judderod

Post by judderod » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:20 pm

Can't u take it apart and have a look to see what's broke? If there's no gas in there.

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:54 pm

judderod wrote:Can't u take it apart and have a look to see what's broke? If there's no gas in there.
I think he already did and came to the conclusion it was the expansion valve. He knew what he was doing but never got round to fixing it before i bought the car.....and then blew it. :roll:

But i will take it out anyway and see for myself. 8-)

judderod

Post by judderod » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:37 pm

What blew? Like is there a hole somewhere?

You could do with replacing the receiver-dryer if the system has been empty or open for a while too...

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:35 pm

The previous owner said it exploded when he charged it. Opened it up and found shards in the condensor and it was the valve that Nitin'd out.
I was aware of the dryer but its all WAY expensive.
The dryer reciever component is £252.54
The Condensor is £564.76
And the expansion valve being £164.51

Nearly 1k. :o

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:09 pm

right i do air con in my place and the norm for air con not working is a leak somewhere that drops the gas level below the required pressure limit which brings in a failsafe that the manufacturer brought in to save the pump from self destructing when running with no or little gas in it and not lubricating the pump correctly. air con is not suited to a car due to the nature of how it works and the fact that joints are submitted to a lot of vibration that just plain doesn't suit a gas joint, it works well untill all that vibration goes through it then a leak appears it loses some gas and then thats the end of it. a yearly top up is required by most cars as the fact it doesn't work is down to lack of gas and to repair the system is an absolute nightmare because finding a leak in a part that maybe behind a dashboard or behind a radiator is near impossible. dont get me wrong its not always because of a leak it could be worse and your pump or a sensor is fooffed but as a rule the pump shuts itself down on a failsafe due to a lack of pressure. :(

judderod

Post by judderod » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Shards?!! :shock:

Maybe just get 2nd hand parts for cheapo and fit them yourself, then get it filled and ask them to add some UV dye in case there's a leak. Modern AC chargers do a vacuum leak test before they fill and abort if there is so it should be OK. Sill like tramroad says its a total headache finding them! You'll need a UV light.

The receiver dryer isn't essential, there might even be a way to bake it and bring it back to life. If not get it filled, run it for a while then get it done again shortly after to hopefully take most of the moisture out.

RattyMcClelland

Post by RattyMcClelland » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Well as said he found shards in the condensor and they came from the expansion valve.
May just do without. The 5th Gen interior was designed to keep cool and the fan system is exceptional compared to the 4th gen.

judderod

Post by judderod » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah £1K is a heck of a lot to stay cool for just a few days a year.

My AC pipe burst the other day after I bodged it with a circlip and a bike tyre repair kit :P... It spilt again somewhere else... Hytech header gets so hot it melts the rubber of the pipe, even underneath the insulation!

But like you say the fan in the 4th is so crap anyway... I bet mine is full of trees as well.

Return to “Interior”