Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Instrument Light Dimmer

Inside your car, there is an interior. Talk about it here
jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:38 pm

littlefeller wrote:ok, had a butchers @ the diagrams, seems there is a control unit behind the fuel guage panel, it needs pluging intop the dimmer if you have one, if not there are pin outs for the unit in the manual. the dimmer dial is on and off able, so i would imagine that the control unit is present on both (with or without dimmer). my reasoning for this is if the dimmer was switched off would it not be the same as just unplugging it? therefore dimmer controller should still be present, just defaults back to dim with lights on if dimmer removed for jdm market. (just needs plugging into the dimmer switch :D anyone got there dash in pieces to have a look? :idea:
Is this the unit? Image

If so it plugs into the instrument panel on the side here

Apologies for the crotch shot, I couldn't be arsed to get out the car :lol:

Interestingly the next female socket along seems to match the socket on the dimmer switch. However the male conector behind the instrument panel has 10 pin sockets, whilst the female socket has only 5 pins in it... I wonder if UKDM instrument panels have all 10 pins, the extra 5 leading to the dimmer :?:

On another note, does anyone know what this white plastic panel is? Looks completely pointless

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Re: Instrument Light Dimmer

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:42 pm

Just realised it's clock controls in the first pic :oops:

I think I might have been half right though... If you forget the keys are in the ignition and plug the dimmer switch into the dash to see if it fits then you blow the fuse for the power mast and radio it seems :?

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Post by indigolemon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:17 pm

That white panel is what the dimmer unit screws to IIRC
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:57 pm

it should be a metal box kinda thing around 10 by 8 cm, silver in colour, it may be behind the white thing :?, it does appear not to be there :? if it isnt, that leaves 2 options, ever fit one or disable the dimmer part when lights are on, will go back to diagrams and see how easy it would be

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:05 pm

the white box is what the jdm sound unit (makes noises when lights on and when key still in ignition)and the jdm tv screw into
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:37 pm

here is a pcy of what it looks like, i have checked all the diagrams i have and they all include the dimmer circuit (dimmer switch) so i would presume it is there somewhere.

By littlefeller2010 at 2012-06-23

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Hmm there was nothing behind the white plate when I took it out. I don't think it makes noises though as there's no wires it's just a moulded piece of plastic. I guess the dimmer must be on the drivers side, might take a look tomorrow

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:54 am

does anyone know if the workshop manual wiring diagrams are different for jdm? and what about the mitchel manual?

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:16 am

ahh wait, after looking at the diagrams in the mitchel manual there apears to be another diagram to the upper left which shows the main switch set up, there is a dimmer switch there which doesnt show on the lower diagram, could this be the jdm version? if so then keeping full brightness would be real simple :D

no forget that, its just me being too drunk, why am i even bothering to look in my state :lol:

littlefeller

Post by littlefeller » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:24 pm

anymore progress? is there a dimmer boxy thing? if not i can go back to the diagrams and figure how they would be layed out without the boxy thing. a word of warning would be a good idea at this point- dont play around with the car electrics if your not fairly confident, car electrics look quite simple, there not. the main reason for this is your car uses any metal parts as a ground, this by itself wouldnt really create a problem, but when you consider that some of your circuits are in series and some in parellel, this does cause problems with both voltage and current, usually in areas that are not even related to the parts you are playing with. you wouldnt want to fry your ecu, or worse you may have an airbag :shock: i have seen one go off before with the machanic sitting in the drivers seat, its very painful but it is funny :lol: (he was lucky, a few seconds earlyer he had the side of his face against the airbag hatch :o :lol:

Return to “Interior”