Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

EK9 Type-H

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
Asacei
Supporter 2014
My Generation: 4G

Re: EK9 Type-H

Post by Asacei » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am

EG_H22 wrote:Looks good mate although you aint got much clearance to have engine side chassis leg. Either the h look good in the civic hence why i went and done it.
Although i got a few problems to sort out damn qsd h2b jobby (qsd)
You are right there is not much clearance that side, although the Evolution pulley I went for is designed to be run without the balance shafts (I havent removed the balance shafts themselves, just the belt and gears) this gives quite a bit more room, I'll see if I can get a shot of the clearance gap at some point.

Sorry to hear you are having problems, I think thats pretty much expected with projects like this. What problems is the QSD stuff giving you?

EG_H22
My Generation: 5G

Post by EG_H22 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Well where do i begin.
Need a new Rear coolant hose
Need to do new fuel line from intake rail to fuel tank line on the subframe bit.
Either hammer the chassis leg where the pulley sits and ive moved my alternator down and got to tap it in, or cut a box out of the chassis leg for both bits and respray

Asacei
Supporter 2014

Post by Asacei » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:08 am

EG_H22 wrote:Well where do i begin.
Need a new Rear coolant hose
Need to do new fuel line from intake rail to fuel tank line on the subframe bit.
Either hammer the chassis leg where the pulley sits and ive moved my alternator down and got to tap it in, or cut a box out of the chassis leg for both bits and respray
I have ended up going custom on all my coolant hoses! will get pictures up soon
Ended up going for all custom fuel lines too :o

Do you still have the balance shaft gears and belt in place? removing it does give a fair bit more room, but it does mean you need an alternator relocation bracket that is designed to move the alternator back as well (unless you can accurately redrill the one you have)

Asacei
Supporter 2014

Post by Asacei » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 am

With the engine in, I looked at getting an exhaust fitted up so I could get the car to a state where I could start it. I intended to start off with a ‘make-do’ exhaust to start with and then change it later once everything was working…….as usual plans changed, I got hold of an off the shelf stainless manifold however due to the engine position and chassis differences between my H2B Civic and anything that would normally have an H22 in it the fit was quite a long way off. This along with the fact that any kind of ‘make do’ exhaust system when added up with the cost of modifying/fabricating to make it all fit just didn’t make sense as it would all just end up a)looking nasty b) time and effort for something I didn’t want c) wasted money……so I went for option d) have a full custom system made up

This came with its own headaches…..where to get the work done (I like to do all my own work but this was going to be more than a little bit beyond me)….and how to get the car there.

I decided on Solid Fabrications to perform the work….how to get the car there was more of a problem. I got a variety of quotes to have the car transported there and then to have it collected once the work was done and they were all quite high, plus I wasn’t entirely sure about loading up my car and sending if off into the distance in the hope it made it to and from the right place and had the work was done the way I wanted it….so I hired myself one of these :shock: :

Loaded up the car…

Still loving the 4 space savers look 

Really glad I decided to do it this way- it was a bit nerve racking driving the thing down some of the narrow lanes towards the end, but arriving with the car and being able to have a good chat about what I liked and didn’t like, what I wanted the end result to deliver etc while being right there with the car rather than over the phone really helped…

So a week later, picked up the transporter and went off to collect the car. Arrived to find my car hiding….

Underneath it now had a full custom stainless exhaust system. Went for a slightly tweaked version of Alan’s header that he makes for the Accord Type R’s, running down into a 3” system, includes a 3” high flow sports cat, a reasonable size centre box and basically as large a back box as possible with a simple 3” straight tip….

Fingers crossed that it’s not toooo loud, hopefully get it on the odd track day eventually

Ground clearance was a big concern due to the H2B kit I am using particularly where the downpipe runs under the engine, and by going for a 3" system was never going to make things easy, but Solid Fabrications did a great job of mounting it all as high as possible, and even under the sump looks good......still going to be really worried when it comes to speed bumps

Really pleased with the service and exceptional quality of work by Solid Fabrications…would definitely recommend them.

thusee
XBOX GamerTag: DA2NV
PSN GamerTag: IDRVSLW

Post by thusee » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:30 pm

very nice build!

EG_H22

Post by EG_H22 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:22 pm

Sick one boy! Looks the part and that looks like a lovely manifold. You do know moroso have designed a sump for us h2b boys dont you.
Ive just bought a teg shell so will being putting my h2b in it in the future once the bay has been shaved be good to meet you at a show or what not.
Are you on civiclife as guys over there dont mind h2bs lol

Asacei
Supporter 2014

Post by Asacei » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 am

thusee wrote:very nice build!
Thanks!
EG_H22 wrote:Sick one boy! Looks the part and that looks like a lovely manifold. You do know moroso have designed a sump for us h2b boys dont you.
Ive just bought a teg shell so will being putting my h2b in it in the future once the bay has been shaved be good to meet you at a show or what not.
Are you on civiclife as guys over there dont mind h2bs lol
Thanks - I think it was definitel worth the extra effort and cost - just wasn't planning on forking out for it at this stage. Yeah I've seen the moroso sump its on my list of things to upgrade later but I have gone for a few more unexpected expensive bits (like the manifold and exhaust) which meant that some things are just going to have to wait....at least until its up and running properly.

I'll look forward to following your teg build, a DC2 has been on my list of cars to own for a very long time, I actually considered going down the H2B route with one of them instead of the EK9 :) Would be great to meet up at a show and get your H2B teg and my EK9 lined up together once they are finished

I am on Civiclife but am very much a lurker 8-)

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Several people rave about Alan's work and I can see why, nice stuff 8-)

Asacei
Supporter 2014

Post by Asacei » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:37 pm

With the engine and gearbox in, turned my attention to the radiator, I always had the intention of mounting it as cleanly as possible (shaved the lower mounting brackets off back when I was preparing the bay for painting). So searched about for a suitable radiator for this first setup, again the original intention was to find something that would just ‘fit’ and once I was sure what would fit and work I would look at having something custom made up later on…..biggest limitation was the available height due to the bonnet catch, eventually found a radiator at a good price that would fit…

Getting busy with the radiator and trusty cardboard to work out how fix it in place:

Transferred across and cut out in aluminum:

These pictures make it look really easy but in reality there was lots of measuring cutting, checking, changing my mind, redoing etc. etc….anyway radiator mounted up:

Turned out pretty well for what is just intended as proof of concept  I have the space to fit a radiator that could be a fair bit wider but height and width is at the limit of the space I have available. The later choice will be either change to a custom radiator that’s wider if I find I need some more cooling capacity, or move this one over a bit and a add an oil cooler….will see how things work out when it gets out on the road.

Having done this I immediately ran into more headaches, some due to the nature of the project (e.g. stock hoses no longer reaching either the radiator or heater matrix) and other caused completely by me (e.g. me not liking the look of normal radiator hoses or conventional filler cap arrangements), getting round these has taken some head scratching and doing things a little differently…… :roll:

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Great work, very neat. Ill I get to see this next Monday? :D

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”