Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Voltan - the happy Volvo 850

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
indigolemon
The Chaos Engine
My Generation: 4G
PSN GamerTag: M149YSL

Voltan - the happy Volvo 850

Post by indigolemon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:30 pm

I've just recently become the co-owner of a P plate Volvo 850 2.5 (10v). After the cylinder head gasket went, the previous owner had invested in a reconditioned head, a gasket set, and the help of an ex-Volvo mechanic to fit these items. At this stage, all that was left was to time it up, add the fluids, and drive it.

Sadly it was at this time that winter arrived last year, and so the Volvo remained trapped in a workshop on a remote Highland estate. Then, last month, just under 15 months since it had been recovered from a layby on a Motorway in the North of England, myself and some friends finished the job. After fabbing up a timing tool (not pretty, but it works!) and getting the new belts on, we proceeded to fit everything else back into the car, and finally filled it with oil and water once more.

After fitting the battery, the time had come, and we turned the car over. Nothing, it turned, but wouldn't start. After checking our work over a few times, we finally opened the fuse box - and found the fuel pump fuse missing completely. At this point one of my friends (whose workshop we were in) finally remembered he had 'borrowed' a fuse while the car was sitting there.

Fuse replaced, we tried again, and it fired up first time! 169k on the clock, 8 previous owners, no rust, and seems totally sound. Very happy indeed, now covered 1700 miles since then and has already saved me hiring a van to collect a sofa! We have dubbed him Voltan (after Brian Blessed's character in Flash Gordon, as we reckon a Volvo would probably talk like Brian Blessed).

Anyway, here he is after a clean:
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

nitin_s1
My Generation: 5G
PSN GamerTag: N171N

Post by nitin_s1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Following Crazy's dream!? :?

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:23 pm

Nah, it's not getting ratted, just handy to have it really. You try fitting a sofa in a lude :lol:
'On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.' - Charles Babbage

Kawa
XBOX GamerTag: kawa222

Post by Kawa » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:37 pm

good point!! 8-)

Ammo
Admin | Spammer Assassin

Post by Ammo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

You can get the mansion in one though :shock:

Crazy_C
My Generation: 3G

Post by Crazy_C » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:54 pm

By any chance, do you want a tailgate with a sheet metal rear panel instead of a window?? ;) hehe
4thgenphil wrote:you're odd and that made me crap myself!
RattyMcClelland wrote:Dom with a fag in his mouth. A rare sight. :lol:
nitin_s1 wrote:I am Nitin, motha fucka!
mart609 wrote:It wasn't a good look standing around stratching my nuts every 5 minutes. Never again :lol:

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

Post by indigolemon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:48 am

Crazy_C wrote:By any chance, do you want a tailgate with a sheet metal rear panel instead of a window?? ;) hehe
Tempting man, tempting :lol:

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

New Rear Shocker - And a Shock

Post by indigolemon » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:30 pm

So yesterday I ordered a new rear shocker @ 38 quid to replace the one on the offside rear which is leaking. It arrived today, and looks different to the one one the car. Double checked the codes and yep, it's for an 850 estate all right - so why does it look different?

Next up is digging round the web, at which point I discover the 850 could be supplied with an optional extra - self levelling suspension. It appears whoever bought Voltan in 1997 wanted this option fitted. Now, a standard rear shock is £38, a Nivomat shock is ... £247 :o

'Bugger that' as they say in France. So, I have elected to order another 38 quid shock, two 12 quid top mounts, and two 25 quid springs. Total cost is therefore around the £155 mark, almost £100 less than a single Nivomat shock. Given I don't tow, or intend to tow, caravans - I have to say I'm not really all that bothered at losing 'self-levelling' either 8-)

indigolemon
The Chaos Engine

1 year on - the MOT (again)

Post by indigolemon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 am

Today is the day I find out how badly 1 year in my hands has affected the Volvo :D I'll keep you all posted, but I'm quietly confident ... I think.

[Edit 1] - Failed :(

Not a bad fail though, I currently await a phone call with the full breakdown of what's a problem

JayJay

Post by JayJay » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 am

lololololololololol
Shiny wrote:I sniff dirty pants.

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”