Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Accord H22A Swap

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: jjm349571

Re: Accord H22A Swap

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:46 pm

Was back working on the car's suspension today. I needed to remove the upper control arm, so first thing was to remove the damper. It was a nice simple job, I undid the damper fork so it was free from the lower control arm, then undid the 5 nuts on top of the arch. After that the damper could just be manoeuvred out from behind the steering knuckle.

This gives you access to the two bolts holding the upper control arm onto the chassis.

I removed the ABS sensor wire bracket from the control arm then took my breaker bar to them and they came out without any trouble, so I now had the steering knuckle out albeit still attached to the upper control arm plus a massive void in my wheel arch :lol:

A nice whack with a mallet and the upper ball joint came out the knuckle :) here you can see how much I mullered the ball joint thread using a ball joint tool :(

The tool wasn't deep enough to be centred on the thread and bent it... Oh well, could be worse I guess!

I'm dropping the knuckle off along with a new ball joint at my mate's garage tomorrow, so they'll get that swapped out for me sometime this week. I've found a whole new upper control arm for £35, so will be ordering that as it'll probably work out cheaper than a replacement ball joint and labour (even at mates rates!). Hopefully start putting it together shortly :)

Other main thing on the list is sorting out a passenger side engine mount, as the engine has sagged enough to damage the front mount now :( will be getting the stud from a Prelude side mount as a temporary measure, but will have to look at getting a custom mount fabbed up soon! After that it's bolting up the ancillaries then sorting out the wiring loom. Gradually getting there! :)

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 am

Fitted my powerflow exhaust today :) it's not perfect, but it only cost £25 so I'm not complaining :lol:

It's a little wonkey on the left currently as I have no hangers on that side, will get that sorted at some point. Think I need longer hangers too as it currently touches the bumper. Other than that though I really like it :)

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:00 pm

should have left the nut on the balljoint when you were splitting it saves the thread
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:39 pm

I did, the tool was too shallow to centre on the thread though and it mullered the nut and the thread :evil:

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:20 pm

I've put the front end back together, then gave the car a wash as it hasn't been cleaned in a year and a quarter or so. The amount of grime that came off that thing was unreal, it had really built up :o

A couple of photos:

Image :D

Really love this car, and enjoying the work on it. Hope that feeling stays :lol: My job for tomorrow is to man up and fit the spoiler. I'm terrified of drilling the boot though, I only get one shot! Need to pull the dash and start fitting the new wiring loom too, another fun job :( Might have a bash at polishing the headlight lenses as well, they look horrible and cloudy currently.

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:45 am

Rebuilt the front driver side wheel today. Put everything back together without a hitch, then went to put the spindle nut on... This is when I realise I forgot to fit the driveshaft back in

After having a rage around the garden I've decided to leave it until I move house. The car isn't drivable currently so I can't seeing it being a problem.

To make myself feel better I'm going to try and do something about the walnut trim inside the car. I quite like it personally, but I don't really think it has a place in the car anymore as I'm going for a sportier look. So, I'm thinking of painting all the trim a solid colour, and applying decals to key bits of trim. On the piece of trim along the top of the glove box, I'm going for the Accord logo on the left end, and the DOHC VTEC emblem on the right. On the strips on the door card, I'm not sure whether to go for the Accord logo, or the DOHC VTEC emblem. One other consideration was a small Honda 'H' logo on each one instead of text. For the colour scheme I want to match the exterior scheme, which is blue and white. I can't make my mind up whether I'd prefer blue trim with white text or white trim with blue text though... Might just get some white primer tomorrow and go from there. What do you guys think?

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 am

you can get the carbon pieces really easily on ebay why paint em

jjmartin349571
Supporter 2016

Post by jjmartin349571 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:33 am

I don't really fancy carbon fibre inside, would much rather have something individual to my car rather than some ATR bits :)

mercutio
LotM Winner

Post by mercutio » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:51 pm

ok cool 8-)

Donald
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 0G

Post by Donald » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Black spray paint, done.

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”