Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

EK9 Type-H

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
Vtecmec
LotM Winner
My Generation: 4G
XBOX GamerTag: vtecmec

Post by Vtecmec » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Asacei wrote:I'm so pleased to actually be driving the thing
Well done mate, such a great feeling eh? 8-)

EG_H22
My Generation: 5G

Post by EG_H22 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14 am

What you think of it mate, ive finally got mine running spot on just got to tweek a few more things as it seems to loose power from 6-8000 not sure if its oil pressure or fuel starving.

mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:16 am

well done buddy I bet its a monster :lol:
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

Asacei
Supporter 2014

Re: EK9 Type-H

Post by Asacei » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:44 pm

Really pleased to have the car on the road at last, having picked the car up from Performance Autoworks…..as the non-starting issue was such an easy fix I decided to leave the car with Rich to address a few things and essentially get the car in a drivable state. They addressed a couple of other issues I had and got the car MOT’d …having swapped basically all of the suspension components the alignment was all over the place so they also set the car up with a fast road alignment.

The car was running on a chipped P30 Ecu…with the chip being essentially just a base map. Given the addition of the exhaust/header etc. and that I did not know how good the ‘base map’ actually was I decided to address this now rather than later so asked Rich to get busy with one of these :)

Had to wait a little while for it to arrive – which worked well allowing the alignment, fixes, MOT to get done….really didn’t know what to expect this engine to deliver as it is still a bit of an unknown…once mapped it gave…..

232bhp and 162 lb/ft of torque :D :D :D :D

Once I got the car home I found I suddenly had much more enthusiasm for sorting out a couple of other bits and got busy painting a replacement grill for the car (the EK9 shell I started with was missing the front grill and rear spoiler….I’ll get to the spoiler in good time but I really couldn’t stand looking at the car with the standard civic grill on it) I will continue to keep an eye out for a good condition original Honda EK9 grill but these seem to be pretty difficult to come by at the moment unless you fancy paying a particular seller on ebay £250 for one!. In the end I found a second hand replica EK9 grill in carbon fiber, got it cheap as it had a bit of a scuff as I was going to paint it this didn’t bother me:

Only seem to have one picture at the moment half way through painting but you get the idea…

Also the car went to Performance Autoworks basically without an intake system….they kindly rigged something up to get the mapping done – but it was something I really needed to address. As luck would have it I stumbled across a genuine J’s Racing carbon intake (AKA a piece of Whale anatomy) and filter at a very good price locally and was able to pick it up the day after collecting the car…..its not exactly what I had in mind but it’s better than nothing and was an easy fit….needs a bit of tidying up though so will update with some pictures and stuff once I’ve got it sitting how I want and cleaned up a bit.

So at last I now have a fully working H2B EK9 that I am actually driving :) ……First impressions…love it :D however it does have its down sides.

Engine mounts are very hard…whole interior vibrates, will have to spend some time addressing some of the more annoying dash rattles

Feels very planted on the road – I’m sure performance Autoworks alignment skills play a big part in this

My arms ache! – No power steering is seriously hard work, great feedback when on the go but very slow speed turning i.e. junctions, mini roundabouts, parking is really hard work.
Either I am becoming a bit of a weed or the steering is a lot heavier than many would have you believe.

I possibly have an issue with the alternator belt – hoping that it’s just because its old – but it is currently disintegrating will pick up a couple of new ones today and go from there. hopefully there is nothing out of line that is causing it to do this, it certainly all seems to be in line

Seem to have an ongoing issue with IACV – Rich even tried changing the valve for another but still without success. Car is currently mapped without this being active and it is currently disconnected. I plan to leave it like this and remove the valve completely – downside is car will not idle straight from cold but only seems to take a minute or so to warm up enough to idle on its own which I can live with, once warm car idles perfectly.

It goes really well – there is no waiting around for Vtec it just goes – very smooth power delivery again all credit goes to the great mapping job Performance Autoworks have done
Last edited by Asacei on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nucleustylzlude

Post by nucleustylzlude » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Good work, I bet she's a blast to drive. 8)

If you find the steering getting too cumbersome, you could try retrofitting some electronically controlled power steering like a couple have done on here? ;)

Asacei
Supporter 2014

Post by Asacei » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:04 pm

nucleustylzlude wrote:Good work, I bet she's a blast to drive. 8)

If you find the steering getting too cumbersome, you could try retrofitting some electronically controlled power steering like a couple have done on here? ;)
Thanks - the thought has crossed my mind, but I really wasn’t a fan of the electronic power steering on the EP3 civic type R I have been driving around in so I've been put off a bit. I'll probably continue to look at the possibilities though, will try and dig up a few different builds and see who has used what

Asacei
Supporter 2014

Post by Asacei » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:07 pm

I have been merrily whizzing about in the Civic on a daily basis for a week or two now, I’ve clearly been slacking off in the gym recently because while the steering is still heavy my arms are no longer aching and I seem to be getting steadily more use to it 

Couple of little updates…I have an oil leak  seems to be the distributor O ring, so have ordered one and will sort that when it arrives.

Managed to find a set of good condition late spec lights for the back so I’ve lost the old orange indicators which makes the back look much cleaner….also did a bit of rust proofing while I was at it

Old:

New , along with new light seals to prevent any future leaks:

Rustproofing while I was at it:

Picture of the engine bay with the new intake installed:

Thebusofwoe
Supporter 2014

Post by Thebusofwoe » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Man, well done. Great power figures and wicked job on this 8-) 8-) makes me want the s300 even more now :think:
One life, LIVE IT! Get VTEC, LOVE it. Drive a Honda and ENJOY it.

Build thread : http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... t7849.html

lucas
XBOX GamerTag: I Lucas L

Post by lucas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:17 pm

looking good, ironicly i just swaped donnas rear lights over from pre facelift too lol.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sun May 31, 2015 9:24 am

Just wondering, any updates on this at all? Eager to see what happens next! :D

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”