Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

Confused's Long-Term Anglia Project

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
mercutio
LotM Winner
My Generation: 5G

Post by mercutio » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:52 pm

woul it not have been easier to use a jaaaaaaaaaaag rear end :lol:
bristol_bb4 wrote:ahhh a 5th gen, i love 5th gens :D :lol:
Dino wrote:I loves the 5th gen really.... just dont quote me on it... ;)
4thgenphil wrote:Mines 4 1/4 unches mate, sorry

http://www.ludegeneration.co.uk/profile ... -t618.html

Confused
My Generation: 4G

Re: Confused's Long-Term Anglia Project

Post by Confused » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:58 am

Not without having to fit wider arches.

Plus, this isn't exactly difficult to do!

Confused

Suspension Redesign, Part II

Post by Confused » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:39 pm

The next task is to make up the suspension arms - 3 per side. 2 for the bottom, 1 for the top.

As with the trailing arms, these consist of a length of steel tube, threaded inserts, locking nuts, and rose joints. One rose joint is right hand threaded, the other is left hand threaded, and this allows fine adjustment of the length of the arm, without needing to remove anything from the car. Simply loosen the locking nuts, and rotate the tube to lengthen, or shorten, the arm as necessary.

This gives the ability to fully adjust every aspect of the suspension - the toe (whether the front of the wheels point inwards or outwards, and by how much), the camber (how far from vertical the wheels are), and the position within the arches.

We started by making the arms to the correct size needed to put the wheels in the same position as they are with the De-Dion. When looking at it on the car, I'd decided that the wheels were too close to each other, and ideally needed to fill the arches more - so basing the arm lengths on getting it as it current is, will allow adjustment outwards to where necessary (there's about 5cm of length adjustment on each arm, whilst still maintaining a suitable amount of thread within the insert - which gives up to 10cm overall width adjustment on each side... plenty, as it only needed to come out by about 2cm each side to really fill the arches)

So, we made up the lower arms on the bench:

Image Image Image

To get the correct length and position for the upper arms (avoiding the exhaust), we then began to transfer stuff to the car, firstly re-fitting the diff and carrier.

The next bit I forgot to photograph, so I'll try to explain what we did. We reattached the existing De-Dion axle, including the new lower arms, made up the top arms to length, and then removed it, and chopped the hubs off from each end of the De-Dion tube. This then gave us the hub units separately - our first step towards making them independent.

We needed to give a slight tweak to the exhaust pipes to give us clearance for the top arm - we could have curved it under the exhaust, but as the legendary Colin Chapman allegedly would have said, they then would have been "pre-failed". But, we've got enough capacity in the exhaust to be able to sacrifice a small amount of volume!

Image Image

So, with the welded (and labelled) suspension arms:

We began to attach each hub unit. First the two trailing arms:

Then the remaining arms (as you can see, I was extremely useful here, and took it upon myself to take photos, rather than help hold the weight of the hub!)

The rubber boots for the rose joints actually ended up causing us the most hassle - we'd used 25mm box section, which the bare joints slotted into perfectly. With the addition of the rubber boots, they just wouldn't fit right. So, we decided to use them slightly differently to how they are supposed to be used, and instead cut the end off them, and stretched them over the box section and over the nuts/bolts - just as water/dust tight, and much easier to fit!

So, with both sides attached, this is how it looks with full droop:

Image Image

lewd lude lover
Supporter 2015
My Generation: 5G

Post by lewd lude lover » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:48 pm

:lol: A-mazing.

The legend continues

:hail:
6th gen Prelude please Mr Honda. RWD 2.4 turbo lude.

bb1boy
XBOX GamerTag: adam fantastic

Post by bb1boy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 am

A-greed! :lol:

Confused

Culmination

Post by Confused » Sat May 23, 2015 11:19 pm

This update comes courtesy of my step-mum, who suggested that my dad booked a week off work to spend purely on the car! Thankfully, my girlfriend also thought it was a good idea, and so this is the culmination of a week's work! The last full week I had on the car (back in November 2011!), we made loads of progress - would this week be as productive? Read on to find out!

As the suspension mounts have been moved onto the diff carrier, the mounting points needed reinforcement. The rear mounts had already been reinforced, so we did the fronts, they now bolt through some nice heavy box section.

Where we had to cut away the bulkhead for the water pipes off the back of the engine, this needed replacing, so a new panel was made up. Originally we planned for this to be removable to gain access to the water pipes - but with the engine so simple to take out (less than an hour), there's really no point, so it's welded in for no loss in strength.

Image Image

It was always to plan, once we'd proved that the brakes/clutch worked OK to replace the temporarily made push-rods with new ones, made from a single piece of metal, rather than the extended temporary ones.

Being a 1967 (and, of course, for safety), it needs seat belts in the front. A pair of inertia-reel seatbelts have been fitted, which are much better than the original fixed belts!

Having had the car running and driving for a while (only as far as in/out of the garage, and on/off the trailer), we noticed that the coolant level was dropping, and the oil level was increasing... so, the engine/gearbox came out, and it had a pair of new head gaskets, a set of 24 valve stem seals, new lower inlet manifold gaskets, and new injector seals/filters.

Image Image

Whilst the engine was out (hopefully for the last time for a while!), the bare metal and welds were given some protection.

Not having enough of a single colour in the cupboard, we mixed together 4 different colours: Mitsubishi Fiji Blue pearlescent, Mitsubishi Twilight Blue metallic, Ford Java Blue metallic and Vauxhall Lagoon Blue metallic. So even the paint is a hybrid of various makes! (The flash makes it look a little lighter than it is in daylight - that's all the metallic/pearl bits catching the extra light from the flash)

Meep meep! A pair of horns scavenged from a scrap BMW.

I mentioned before the new connectors for the engine - there's one of these on each side of the engine bay. So to remove the engine, we simply needed to unclip these two.

All the wiring inside, now completed, has been tidied up, tucked properly under the dash, and a panel was made up to house the boost gauge & various switches (hazard warning, heated front screen, clutch servo solenoid and launch control)

Image Image

Then came the moment of truth - an MOT test! With everything put together, checked and double-checked, we took it for a fresh pair of eyes to give it a thorough check over. A nervous wait followed whilst the tester looked, prodded, pulled and poked at everything they usually look at, prod, tug and poke during an MOT test.

He then wandered through into the testing area, and presented a piece of white paper (I miss the days of coloured paper, where you at knew what the result was from across the room without having to read it!) - "Refusal of an MOT Test Certificate" was what this one was not titled! Instead, it said proudly at the top of the sheet "MOT Test Certificate" :D

Having sorted insurance a couple of hours earlier, I fired up the vehicle licencing page on my phone, and promptly taxed it and drove it back home!

So - how far has it now been driven? Well... back home... where we then proceeded to start on tidying up the bodywork! Having seen the blue in the engine bay, we decided that, as there was some bare metal that still needed protection, to give the whole car a blow over with our newly created colour. All the bits of surface rust have been ground back and treated, the holes for the side trim (which isn't going back on) welded, ground back and filled over.

Image Image

Next is to smooth back this filler, and give it a quick coat of primer & paint so it's all a single colour, and protected for now - until it comes off the road again in a few months to be stripped back to a bare shell to have a full, proper fix of bodywork and paint.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Sun May 24, 2015 10:13 am

Absolutely awesome stuff, as always 8-) very, very impressed.

I'm curious - what are the plans for the interior, with all this extra stuff running along/across inside the cabin?

Confused wrote:so, the engine/gearbox came out, and it had a pair of new head gaskets, a set of 24 valve stem seals, new lower inlet manifold gaskets, and new injector seals/filters.
Yeah, just like that - all this stuff just happened in a flash... :roll: :troll:

:evil: Stop making it all sound so damn quick and easy, man!!! :lol:

Confused

Re: Confused's Long-Term Anglia Project

Post by Confused » Sun May 24, 2015 10:22 am

The floor will be padded out with foam to provide a level base, with carpet on top (this is actually how it was presented for MOT, I just didn't get my camera out!) - so none of the pipes or wires will be visible or be able to be stepped on!

I realised I forgot to say that the engine also had new cam seals and crank seals while it was out.

It did take a day for the engine to be stripped and put back together (with distractions, like giving me a hand doing stuff and having lunch), so it wasn't "just like that" ;)

Confused

A different post code

Post by Confused » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Prior to this weekend, it had been driven about 20 miles by my dad, and I was able to get down for a day, and in that time we have found, and had to sort the following teething issues:

Replace injectors - I fitted new filters to them, but in doing so, managed to get some dirt into some of them, which left them stuck open, pouring fuel into the engine!

Tweak the ECUs - the MAP-ECU appeared to lose some of its configuration, meaning that it was not actually giving a signal to the standard engine ECU for air flow! So the first 5 miles or so, it was running only on the "fail safe" fueling!

Replaced all the spark plugs, as it was missing under load.

Discovered that the tyres on the back are awful, as under power, it was pulling quite hard to the left, and to the right under deceleration. Swapping the rear tyres side to side improved it, so a new pair of tyres had been ordered and been fitted.

The PLX wideband O2 sensor control unit has failed, so it's not putting out the correct voltages on either the wideband output, nor the simulated narrowband output. This has been removed, and replaced with the stock narrowband sensor until I can afford a new wideband controller.

With the annual "Anglias At The Ace" happening the weekend just gone, and determined to get there, I went down and spent last Thursday night and Friday doing some more to make it ready. My dad had done some more filling & sanding, getting the car ready for paint. However, with life getting in the way, by Thursday it was only nearly ready for priming - so Thursday evening was spent finishing off the sanding back, and giving it a blow over with primer - which was finished at 12:15 on Friday morning!

Friday morning I got up early, and spent the morning undersealing the car - if we were taking it on the road, the bits we'd previously welded and primed needed some better protection. So, after masking up all the bits I didn't want to get covered in underseal:

Image Image

I covered both myself and the underneath of the car with underseal:

Image Image

During the small amount of driving it had done, we noticed that the bonnet got VERY hot right above the turbos - so something was needed to reduce the heat transfer into the fibreglass. With a sheet of nice thick stainless steel, I made up some heat shields to cover the turbos, bolted onto the strut tops, so that the heat is transferred into the rest of the body.

Image Image

With all that done, and just 25 miles on the odometer, it was time to firstly give the interior a good hoover out as it was covered in filler dust, and then take it out for a bit of a longer drive - firstly to see if the new tyres made a difference to the handling, secondly to see if the heatshields had made a difference before the "long" drive to the Ace Cafe, as well as to shake down anything else that we'd not picked up yet.

Given that I'd only driven it about a mile so far, I went out onto the road tentatively, and all felt good. As I started to become a little more confident, and the engine came up to temperature, I pushed it a little harder, until I was trying out some full-throttle runs. However, here is where I found an issue - it pulled great in 1st and 2nd all the way to the red line (no pulling to the left now the new tyres are on), but in 3rd and 4th, it got to just over 4000rpm and hit a rev limiter.

Came back, and got the laptop out and hooked it up to the ECUs to check the configuration. Nothing jumped out at me, so went out for another drive to save some log files for looking at later. There was also a small "chirping" coming from the back, which was related to road speed, that disappeared when lifting the handbrake slightly. Got it back home with the odometer now on a huge 49 miles!

I did find when looking through the logs that the original Mitsubishi ECU thought that I was doing over 400km/h - I certainly wasn't doing that!! I then remembered that the speed limiter on the ECU can't be removed, but it can be increased to 255 MPH - which is 410km/h!

So, with it being late on Friday, on Saturday morning got out early, cut the speed sensor signal to the ECU, and removed the rear wheels to back off the handbrake slightly.

With that done and back on the ground, we set off for our drive to the Ace. As this was the furthest from my dad's post code it has yet to be driven, we decided it safe for my dad to follow me in his Shogun with a trailer and a boot full of tools - just in case anything was to go wrong or not feel right, we could simply load it up, and deal with it later.

Heading off down the road, first I noticed that there was no more chirping from the back end. Getting onto the dual carriageway, I gave it full throttle in 3rd, and it revved straight past 4000rpm and to the redline - so it obviously was the engine ECU engaging the speed limiter at 4000rpm.

I had to pull over about half an hour and 25 miles after leaving home, however. As dad pulled over behind me, he gets out the Shogun with a worried look on his face as I walk towards him. "Can I have the duct tape, please?" I ask. "The chrome surrounds for the heater controls, and the ashtray are rattling, and it's annoying me", I add.

After taping up the rattling trim, the rest of the journey to the Ace was completely uneventful.

Image Image

Another great day, met and chatted to plenty of lovely people, and saw 49 other lovely Anglias!

Then I drove it back home without any more issues, pulling up back at my dads with 210 miles on the clock. On a run, the engine coolant temperature gets a little higher than I'd like it to be, so (as was always expected) a better radiator is required for more serious running - but it'll sit happily at 70mph without overheating as it currently is.

It's only running at about 6psi of boost at the moment (I'm hoping I can get around 14psi out of it), so it's not quite as quick as it could be, but... even with that, it's rather quick! Using the timers built into the gauges, and still not *really* pushing it too hard yet, it's given so far a <7 second 0-60, and under 17s quarter mile. Just need to get it tuned right, get the launch control set up, and get it to a drag strip to see what it can really do!

Image Image

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?

Post by wurlycorner » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:15 pm

drokking awesome 8-) :twisted:

Could have dropped in for a return cup of tea on the way home! :D

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”