Congratulations to vtecmec for winning May/June's Lude Of The Month, with his DIY Turbo BB1 build.

>>> Click Here For Profile <<<

HR-V 4WD 1.6 VTEC - page 7 Audio and Dent

Got a car that isn't a Lude? There's no condemnation here. Tell us about it!
norks27
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 5G

Re: HR-V 4WD 1.6 VTEC - 'High-rider Revolutionary Vehicle'

Post by norks27 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:22 pm

nitin_s1 wrote:Been looking at some on eBay/autotrader
Keep your eyes peeled for any with the, I think, Honda Access Sport seats. If I remember they are half leather, blue and black with large red Honda stitched in the seat back. I'm sure they where the ones, and they looked good.

Edit - blue stitching not red

norks27
Supporter 2016

Post by norks27 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:16 am

One thing I should mention:

Before buying/looking we talked to the service manager at the Honda garage, basically what mechanically we should look for, and any common issues.

The only possible problem was some models had the incorrect grade of oil in the rear differential, (this should have been corrected by Honda). Steering on full lock would cause a knocking sound like a worn CV joint.

I'll let my Dad explain....
I think it was from the viscous clutch which is part of the prop shaft before it enters the differential housing. That clutch is the bit that engages the rear wheels via the differential whenever there's a difference in speed between the two front wheels - like when you're on full lock with the outer wheel turning faster than the inner wheel or one of the wheels slipping in snow. My sparkle grey pearl crv had to have the differential and clutch flushed out and it's oil replaced at Honda expense. The noise sounds exactly like a worn constant velocity joint - you hear it like it was that but it comes from the clutch differential assembly
The fault is rectifiable with a flush and correct oil, provided it was done promptly.

So, test drive and check steering on full lock.
nitin_s1

norks27
Supporter 2016

HR-V 4WD 1.6 VTEC - a few add ons

Post by norks27 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm

A minor update on the progress of the HR-V and a bunch of photos.

[insta][/insta]

[insta][/insta]

[insta][/insta]

[insta][/insta]

Adding a few Honda extras:

Installing was a bugger, took a hacksaw to get the old handbrake cover off, plastic shavings everywhere.

The likelihood of getting hold of the body kit is very slim and bar the front lip I'm not that enamoured:

[insta][/insta]

With that in mind I figured a set of mudflaps would be a nice touch. Managed to find a set of new Honda flaps via eBay and a Honda Bike shop.

Flaps installed:

Having run the sound system in I'd encountered multiple issues. The bass was uncontrollable and the enclosure cover was sagging and banging against a junction box. I'd also unearthed a few rattles at certain frequencies which would require additional Dynomat.

An additional support/brace was added between the subs. Velcro sides serve to further anchor the cover.

One problem with the bass was a sense of it being either very on or off. It was tricky to tune to find the right balance. In order to control the bass an additional processor was added:

The bass processor is somehow installed within the dash.

I'm still playing, but it's a far better system, playing an old Depeche Mode album, Violator, and the system sounded full and detailed without sounding like the car was about to blow a window at high volume.

[insta][/insta]

As an aside the addition of Dynamat gives the front doors a nice thunk on closing.

The Pioneer unit is simple and easy to use, Android Auto works very well. Rear cam is a nice addition along with a front cam.

[insta][/insta]

It's proving to be a fun car, very comfortable on long journeys, with sufficient mod cons and enhanced sound system to make the car a real pleasure.

Down side, MPG is not hugely better than the Lude when driving around town and I think I managed around 36-38 on a long motorway run. Tax for the VTEC model is currently £315, (more than the Lude).

It's clearly an older car, 2005 when compared to the current HR-V:

[insta][/insta]

[insta][/insta]

But overall there are too many plus points about this car so as to render the bad points irrelevant.

[insta][/insta]

Still a few bits to do, a small dent in a wing, some pin dents, bumper scuff... The usual stuff. With only 31k on the clock I'm hoping to keep this car for some time, probably until the government ban such vehicles.
Last edited by norks27 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Coming along nicely.
Once you start, you don't stop, do you?
International Pensioner of Mystery

toadster

Post by toadster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Lo Matey :D
Both looking nice 8-)
Cheers ;)
Toadster

norks27
Supporter 2016

Post by norks27 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 am

Sailor wrote:Once you start, you don't stop, do you?
I think you have a point. Took me quite a while to source the mudflaps and I thought the handbrake cover was never going to show up. I've been lucky with this car given the low mileage and excellent condition of the cabin and I've rather fallen for the little VTEC, can't think there are any other obvious extras to find now.

wurlycorner
Ye are glad to be dead, RIGHT?
My Generation: 4G

Post by wurlycorner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Mudflaps are a good plan.

Not sure about the rest of the bodykit myself, either - but then the front lip might look out of place/balance without it???

I didn't realise you had such a system install :facepalm: I didn't look over the car at all, at JAE :oops:

What's the after market twiddly knob next to the handbrake, behind the headlight levelling adjuster?

norks27
Supporter 2016

Post by norks27 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:03 pm

wurlycorner wrote:What's the after market twiddly knob next to the handbrake, behind the headlight levelling adjuster?
Initially that was the subwoofer volume/level, but with the addition of the bass processor its been made redundant, still connected.

I think you're right about the body kit, front lip on its own would look unbalanced.

Sailor
Supporter 2016
My Generation: 0G

Post by Sailor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:08 pm

How about a bull bar ...

... or some really unsuitable wheels?

International Pensioner of Mystery

norks27
Supporter 2016

Post by norks27 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 pm

sailor Pretty sure I saw one with a bull bar and had a little mini sick in the back of my throat, just enough to burn. :D

Edit: the side bars - hmmm

As for the mad wheels, my Sister would love it if I went that direction, but, alas I continue to disappoint her.

Return to “Non-Lude Profiles”